PDA

View Full Version : Aup

jimp1234
05-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Quess I missed the "big" post this morning but I wanted to make a few, what I hope are constructive comments. Every community is governed by a set of rules/laws, and virtual communities are no different. For virtual communities the "AUP" (acceptable use policy) is the law. The participants by their use agree to those rules, and the sponsor (through the moderator) enforces them. Sounds easy enough but almost never is.
I'm not sure what burr under what saddle set this off, but I will say this forum is imho generally well behaved. However, if the sponsor of the forum feels that a significant number of participants are not following the "AUP", they should (1) formally remind everyone of said fact, (2) be specific about what rule/rule(s) are not being adhered to and (3) have the moderator enforce the "AUP" vigorously. On moderators; this is truly a difficult and thankless job, and I think the moderator for this forum is a pretty good one. I have a lot of sympathy for someone doing this, as I moderated (as a volunteer) a tech forum in the 90's, that was not too dissimilar from the wild west. I got to the point where it was two warnings then gone (3 strikes
you're out), and a few hangings in the "public square" of the most blatant offenders once in a while to keep order. Got old fast. Don't know if things need to get that draconian here but as Yoda says, "there is moderated,
and unmoderated, there is no try"... I for one find this forum very enjoyable and have no problem with following the rules if it keeps it around. And if I have to forego my post on semi-automatic espresso makers so be it... :)

-Jim

http://forums.thepaceline.net/announcement.php?f=3