PDA

View Full Version : Blemish removal from carbon fiber seat post

Blue Jays
05-12-2008, 04:36 PM
My carbon fiber seat post slid all the way into my carbon fiber frameset (while riding) because the bolt apparently wasn't sufficiently tight...and even though carbon assembly paste had been used.
There are minor cosmetic blemishes in the post since it slid all the way down to the saddle rails. Any suggestions on a gentle method to improve the cosmetic appearance for this brand new seat post?
Thanks much! :)

Pete Serotta
05-12-2008, 04:55 PM
If the finish clear coat is rubbed off, there is nothing you can do, The most abrasive I would go is the 3M without seeing it,, The last step would be a rubbing compound for you are dealing with a clear coat.

PETE

Blue Jays
05-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks, Pete. There was no twisting, it just slid straight down...so just minor blemishes. It does make me a bit crazy though just looking at it!

abqhudson
05-12-2008, 05:18 PM
You might try clear plastic polish.

Blue Jays
05-12-2008, 05:25 PM
abqhudson, sort of like the kind one would use on a clear motorcycle helmet face shield or plastic windshield.
Excellent suggestion...definitely very mild stuff!

Blue Jays
05-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Obtained a bottle of very gentle Mothers Plastic Polish (https://store.mothers.com/product_info.php?products_id=19) from the auto supply store and it worked like a charm! Totally removed light blemishes from the slipped post and left behind a protective gloss.
I'm inclined to remove the seatpost, buff the whole thing, and then reassemble using the appropriate amount of Tacx Dynamic Carbon Assembly Paste.

https://store.mothers.com/contents/image.php?sizex=131&sizey=263&image[0]=images/products/06208.jpg&

:beer:

Blue Jays
05-25-2008, 08:36 PM
I ain't clicking on yer silly links! :D

SoCalSteve
05-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Bike Lust from Pedros...Good stuff!

Good luck,

Steve

Blue Jays
05-26-2008, 12:13 AM
SoCalSteve, I'm inclined to obtain some of the Pedro's you mentioned as another good product to have around "just in case" at some point. Thanks.