PDA

View Full Version : Where will you go?

shinomaster
05-12-2008, 01:14 PM
To which forum will you flee if Rome falls to the Barbarians?

gdw
05-12-2008, 01:33 PM
although it might be hard to keep the Turks out for very long.

MilanoTom
05-12-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't expect to go anywhere else. I might follow the Classics Rendezvous daily digest a little more regularly, but that's about it.

I'd be sorry to see the forum go. Y'all are a delightful group.

Regards.
Tom

sg8357
05-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Bikelist.org for iBob, Classic Rendezvous and Framebuilders.

Google groups for the unofficial Rivendell list, could be a model
for the Serotta forum. RBW dropped their list and it was recreated
on Google.

Gothard
05-12-2008, 01:41 PM
On the road. More.
I'll leave my door open for a few, who know who they are, should they travel to the Alps.

Fixed
05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
you cats have all been very nice to me ..I mean super nice I have learned a lot and not just about bikes i am fixed on the frame forum too and rock racing forum but i like it here tons better imho we are like friends talking after a ride
ben has not pulled the plug yet so let us not jump the gun yet
cheers

sn69
05-12-2008, 01:54 PM
although it might be hard to keep the Turks out for very long.

...That's nobody's business but the Turks.

Make a little birdhouse in your soul, yo. :) :rolleyes: :p ;) :D :beer: :banana:

Pete Serotta
05-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Serotta.com and then to see Gothard....... (after ride the Rockies with Bill Davis in JUNE :bike:

Sasha18
05-12-2008, 01:58 PM
...to a heightened state of productivity? Out for a ride?

But seriously, I migrated here from all the forums listed above. WW is pretty informative and I check back often, but the rest are filled with meat heads or impossible to navigate.

sg8357
05-12-2008, 02:02 PM
...That's nobody's business but the Turks.

Make a little birdhouse in your soul, yo. :) :rolleyes: :p ;) :D :beer: :banana:

The Forum's so bright I gotta wear shades.......

Bar tape and attitudes are they connected ?
The Swoop look,
The Shino look,
The Saab Look ?

Scott G.
50k a year will buy a lot of beer.

hansolo758
05-12-2008, 02:13 PM
I go to these places already but will visit them more should the "forum" be overrun by Alaric and his minions.

fixedgeargallery.com

bikelist.org

crazyguyonabike.com

various blogs (cpg's and hiawatha cyclery's, for example).

OtayBW
05-12-2008, 02:28 PM
As a 'new-timer' around here, I have to say that while there are a lot of good things and good people involved with this Forum, there are also a lot of things that I did not find so compelling. So, I can't say that I've been hanging around here much lately.

Water will seek its own level...

Sandy
05-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Rather premature thread. I would undoubtedly go nowhere, but would try to keep in touch with forum members I know. No desire to go to any other bicycle forum.

Serotta Sandy

William
05-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm going to Sandy's house....he started this whole thing!!! :butt: :butt:

;) :D ;) :D
William

shinomaster
05-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Rather premature thread. I would undoubtedly go nowhere, but would try to keep in touch with forum members I know. No desire to go to any other bicycle forum.

Serotta Sandy

Is it?

Dino
05-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Did I miss something? I frequent this forum a good 4 or 5 out the 7 days in the week. But man, I must have missed the boat entirely on this subject! I must be painfully naive, passively retarded or otherwise.

I understood the word atmo from getgo...but I have no idea what this forum-ending business is about.

Is it an Al Gore thing....is this Forum-Warming?

Sandy
05-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Is it?

Maybe not. Hope that is premature. Pete warned us I guess.

Sandy

gdw
05-12-2008, 02:55 PM
The recent threads about its potential demise were a warning that was much needed. Thanks Pete.

Dino - Al Gore invented the Serotta forum.

1centaur
05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
I would think this place would be a natural alternative (though there would have to be a widespread agreement to decamp if it was to get critical mass):

http://www.bikefanclub.com/forum/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/serotta

Fixed
05-12-2008, 03:11 PM
bro i 'll be kinda upset saving for a new serotta fixed gear and no one to show it to .
cheers

Blue Jays
05-12-2008, 03:12 PM
/\/\ Yes, the bikefanclub.com site would make sense if conditions made migration for everyone a necessity.

victoryfactory
05-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I will beg Kahuna to let us play in his yard again

VF

Kevin Grady
05-12-2008, 03:34 PM
(I am posting this, here, because the other thread is closed)

I have been mostly a lurker, here, and primarily post on the cyclingforum.com site since its inception. That site was started when Velonews was struggling with their sponsorship of a forum. It has also struggled with bad apples, diminished (no commercial) sponsor dollars, and a smaller audience.

Both Don Farris and Carl Strong were sponsors of cyclingforum.com but chose to not renew their sponsorship for probably the same reasons that Serotta is reconsidering their continued support. I have the utmost respect for Don and Carl, and their products, and do not begrudge their taking precious marketing dollars going elsewhere to support their businesses.

First, bad behavior that is slung around like mud eventually splatters on the sponsor, and second, some of that behavior is directed at the sponsor's products. Whether complaints about sponsors products are valid, why give people the opportunity to drag the issue a semi-public forum? Also, others (sometimes) use the forum to market there own products. Why invest in a product that may have more downside negatives than you are willing to accept?

That being said, I am impressed with the sustained level of high quality posts and information that is found, here. Our own little forum, which is now partially funded by the participants, used to have the firepower you find around here, but now we mostly lanquish under the radar, although there are still many good discussions to be had. As a lurker, here, I would miss the quality of content and hope that Serotta might find a way to do it without removing the site. Certainly offering advertising space to others is one solution. They could ask for respected volunteer "police" to keep things on an even keel. Good luck with this and I'm pulling for you, all.

shinomaster
05-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Wow, so far those choosing seppuku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku) are in the lead!

ClutchCargo
05-12-2008, 04:37 PM

Serotta Sandy

Is it?

Most definitely, a case of . . . "premature evacuation" :D :banana: :D

(rimshot)

IXXI
05-12-2008, 05:17 PM
frameforum

the serotta forum's been great... tho i have been bummed at all the tone and general bs of the past year or so.

(for me) the serotta forum is still far far beyond others i've experienced in the past, but maybe they've changed too.

Erik.Lazdins
05-12-2008, 05:44 PM
I am indebted to the Serotta forum for providing me with an education that is unavailable anyplace else.

As riding a bike has been inculcated into my life since I was young, the experience of this forum hits the "good" spots in my heart.

I would be upset if the forum leaves, yet would figure out a way without it as I did before I discovered it.

That said, I believe my cycling life is richer having experienced this forum.

In full flight, this forum is without peer - on the worst of days the occasional post by the heavies keeps me coming back.

Thanks for reading,
Erik

samcat
05-12-2008, 08:29 PM
I, too mostly lurk here, posting only from time to time. I'm also a moderator at http://cyclingforum.com, and have hung out there for years.

While we've elicited sponsorship in the past, we've also found that it's been a burden at times for those very folk who have paid good money to keep us afloat. Sponsorship has also constrained some postings for fear, quite frankly, of pissing off a sponsor. There have been some touchy moments, and some feelings have been hurt. We also lost some long time Forumites because of the hubub.

For the last few years, we've been self supporting. We also have been blessed by having a host who has allowed us the use of his services, at or below his cost. That wasn't his original intent, he's in the business of making a profit, but he's been a true friend to all of us.

Personally, I think Ben and his crew deserve high praise for their continued support of this vibrant community. I also think that it would be neat if it were user supported, in lieu.

Time for this neat bunch of bikies to soar on their own...

JMHO.

PH

Enigma
05-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Enigma will stay here. There is no place else. If this place is no longer Enigma will no longer exist in the cyber world. Only in the Ether.

This place must continue to exist or it will not be good. Serotta is bigger now than Serotta. This forum must not fail or a piece of the cycling world will die.

rwsaunders
05-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Dave Thompson and Pete both told me that this is their future, should the Forum fade away. Say it ain't so?

WadePatton
05-12-2008, 08:41 PM
_after_ I get done with curling up and dieing...I will hope to find a place not consumed by flashing banners and/or meatheads. Mebbe read a book or two. :bike:

shanerpvt
05-12-2008, 08:43 PM
bro i 'll be kinda upset saving for a new serotta fixed gear and no one to show it to .
cheers

is it on order? if so, how long till you get it?

Ray
05-13-2008, 12:10 AM
On the internet, Cyclingforum (what Kevin and Samcat said - I used to spend lots of time there and still check in a few times a week and post every now and again) and the IBOB list. RBR is a bit big for my taste.

In life, I guess I'll just have to head down to DC and ride up and down the Rock Creek Parkway a few times until I see a half dozen or so forum-ites. They're there, you could just about count on it!

-Ray

rwsaunders
05-13-2008, 12:21 AM
On the internet, Cyclingforum (what Kevin and Samcat said - I used to spend lots of time there and still check in a few times a week and post every now and again) and the IBOB list. RBR is a bit big for my taste.

In life, I guess I'll just have to head down to DC and ride up and down the Rock Creek Parkway a few times until I see a half dozen or so forum-ites. They're there, you could just about count on it!

-Ray

I spotted a competition red (with yellow decals) CIII today while walking to work on Pike Street (Seattle) this morning. Big dude on a big frame with a light colored helmet. "Hey man, I have one of those" drew a smile from him.

dekindy
05-13-2008, 05:46 AM
All the above. I usually check bikeforums after I leave here and sometimes roadbikereview. Velonews I have looked at some. Weight weenies rarely since that is not my bag.

Always here first!

jsfoster
05-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Wow, so far those choosing seppuku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku) are in the lead!
Not all Bushidos seem to follow this practice....

thejen12
05-13-2008, 12:19 PM
My worksite has managed to block just about all the other forums, somehow Serotta slipped through! I take this as one more sign that this forum is full of useful info and not just a time-wasting chatroom. :)

Jenn