PDA

View Full Version : High gas prices are good for the bike business

Frank
05-11-2008, 04:29 PM
According to this story on Yahoo:

http://tinyurl.com/4qtse3

brians647
05-11-2008, 07:17 PM
I hope that that is the case. I really do. I just think that some communities are better set up for it than others (a very few, in fact). Around here, traffic is a bitch. In some rural areas, a commute to work would have you in tip top shape!

Regardless, more bikes are better. I just think we need to rethink urban planning first if we are to make any progress on that front.

Too Tall
05-12-2008, 06:19 AM
True fact. I ride my bike 20 miles each way to work 4 days / week and I'm velly sensitive to changes in bicycle commuter patterns. EVERY time gas prices go up there is a temp. bump up in the number of bicycle commuters and a steady rise for inter-city riders. Commuting takes alot, a regular job/place to shower etc. etc. etc. however inter-city riding from place to place or for folks who live in the city is a no brainer and boy howdy there are more and more folks all the time. Seeing business dressed guys and gals on REAL city bikes puts a smile on my face.

Ahneida Ride
05-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Gas prices are not going ballistic, the frn is being diluted.
The M1 (total money supply) has tripled since the early 90's and
(guess what) so has fuel.

Pepsi, Coke and even Hostess Twinkies have experienced similar frn dilution.
I just paid 1 frn for a Twinkie at a quick e mart.

In 1970 gas = 32 cents.
Twinkie = 10 cents
Can of Pop = 10 cents.

Today

gas = 3.80 frn
Twinkie = 1 frn+
Can of Pop = 1-2 frn

Time to take that spot light we shine on the oil futures contract and
direct it at the private bank non-note which we call the "dollar'.

pdxmech13
05-12-2008, 11:35 AM
gas is not that good for the bike industry as a whole. The cost for getting bikes from over seas will go up substantially so dealers will have to take even less margins than they already do or customers will pay more. Lets also not forget how many parts and other things are used with petrol. :crap: