PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Equipe question

sokyroadie
05-11-2008, 12:22 PM
I posted this on RBR so if you saw it there my apologies.
I bought a set of 08 Equipe wheels (new) from an individual without factory instructions. Do they require rim strips? I installed a set of Ritchey Speedmax 32c tires w/o the rim strips and hate to pull them off since it was almost impossible to put them on. The inside of the rim is smooth, Mavic's site shows holes, but these are definitely smooth.

Thanks,
Jeff

regularguy412
05-11-2008, 12:40 PM
My .02:

If they're smooth, no exposed eyelets, I wouldn't worry with a rim strip. My '06 K-Elites are smooth on the inner surface. I run no rim strips on them.

Part II:

Why would you want to run a tire on a rim that is 'almost impossible to mount'? Changing a flat on the road with this setup sounds like a hassle to me. Additionally if you put a rim strip in, I'd imagine it would make it even harder to mount / dismount any tire / tube combo.

Mike in AR :beer:

sokyroadie
05-11-2008, 12:51 PM
My .02:

If they're smooth, no exposed eyelets, I wouldn't worry with a rim strip. My '06 K-Elites are smooth on the inner surface. I run no rim strips on them.

Part II:

Why would you want to run a tire on a rim that is 'almost impossible to mount'? Changing a flat on the road with this setup sounds like a hassle to me. Additionally if you put a rim strip in, I'd imagine it would make it even harder to mount / dismount any tire / tube combo.

#1 - I had no idea they would be that hard to mount.
#2 - They are on my first Cross bike :D and I will have another wheelset for rough road riding.

Jeff

regularguy412
05-11-2008, 01:20 PM
#1 - I had no idea they would be that hard to mount.
#2 - They are on my first Cross bike :D and I will have another wheelset for rough road riding.

Jeff

Ain't that the way of things?!?!?!

pdmtong
05-11-2008, 06:34 PM
I just put the same tyres on m y K-elites w/NO problems...however I couldn't get the ritchey 700x30 versions on w/o a mighty struggle