PDA

View Full Version : Fixed gear racing?

shinomaster
09-25-2004, 12:28 PM
No I don't mean on a track but on the road or cyclocross. There seems to be a new interest in this type of racing and I don't quite understand it. Is it the bike messenger cult infiltrating the race scene, or is it just a more fun , or more challenging type of racing?

coylifut
09-25-2004, 01:43 PM
It's alot of things. The messenger crowd is influencing the main stream. Some of it is a rebellion against the expense of high zoot equipment. I've seen one or two fixed gear cross racers. Can you imagine how difficult the transitions are? One of the largest cross classes is now single speed. Also, I saw a fixed division at a crit last year. If it exposes more people to racing, bring it on.

Too Tall
09-25-2004, 06:41 PM
D##D, Unless things changed...USCF allows a fixed gear with a functioning brake in all mass start races. Enjoy.

bpm
09-27-2004, 07:41 AM
USCF Rule 1J3(b) requires bikes used in road races to have a freewheel with at least one working brake per wheel. So, no fixed gears in mass start events unless a specific race category was set up just for fixed gears.

Tom
09-27-2004, 07:51 AM
but one of the guys in the 50 mile MTB race I was watching was riding a single speed. Not doing too badly, either!

saab2000
09-27-2004, 08:06 AM
.... I built up a single-speed surly and found that I had little difficulty maintaining a pretty decent average speed. I have it set up with a 42x16 and this was about perfect.

The whole experience was a bit of a surprise because I found out that I really did not miss the other 19 gears on my other bikes. Not to say that my Surly has become my main ride, but it is really fun and easy to work on! I would be willing to be that I could go on most group rides with it and not have any trouble if the course were relatively flat.

Too Tall
09-27-2004, 08:31 AM
My bad, I must have a piece of the 60's floating around in my noggin. The reference was to TTs. (see below)

3E. Individual Time Trial 3E1. Courses may be out-and-back, around a circuit, or one way. Only out-and-back and circuit courses may be used for record purposes. A one-time out-and-back course or a circuit large enough for a single lap is ideal.
3E2. Road bicycles shall be used. Bicycles with a front hand brake and fixed wheel may also be used.

shinomaster
09-27-2004, 10:32 AM
I was just informed that the cross racing is single speed...I don't think you could do a dismount on a fixed gear...major biff..