PDA

View Full Version : Lew Sydneys & Tufos ???

D-Squared
09-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Does anybody know if I can use Tufos on my Lew Sydneys? I found the old literature for the Sydneys and it says not to use Tufos because they don't have the seam from the thread.

What do you think? Extra glue?

Thanks,

Too Tall
09-25-2004, 06:44 PM
I don't understand the issue...splain' some more. F.Y.I. a TUFO tubular is a normal tubular it's external construction in allllll regards same as any other tubular tyre.

D-Squared
09-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Never having taken a Tufo apart but they don't have the normal ridge from the seam under the base tape. Looking at

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tufo.html

the tubular doesn't seem to be sew shut. It seems that Lew aka Reynolds thinks the ridge from the sewn seam helps hold the tire on the wheel. Perhaps?

Anybody smarter than me?

zap
09-26-2004, 10:54 AM
I don't get it either :confused: Give Reynolds a call and see what they say.

jerk
09-26-2004, 01:06 PM
the rim on the sydneys was stupid narrow and sort of v-shaped....because of the shape of the base tape on a tufo lew claimed they didn't work well....in truth no tires worked well becaus the rim was too narrow, too v shaped and just plain weird. the original design was thought to hold the stitching bulge on the bass tape of conti/vittoria et al. so that less glue was needed. there were even some idiots who claimed lew rims didn't need glue. the new reynolds wheels have a much wider more practical shape which can be used with tufos the jerk believes.

jerk

Sandy
09-26-2004, 01:09 PM
Sandman

Too Tall
09-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Good insight. The Lew's sound similar to the ancient Assos narrow tubs I've got kicking around here somewhere. Sounds like a perfect application for TUFO extreme tape....or not ;)

jerk
09-26-2004, 10:09 PM
thopse assos rims were the cat's meaow for tt's back in the day....want to know something stupid? the jerk has a pile of'em but none of the special nipples required to build them. mmmmm ceramic assos rims....wow, we could do cool stuff with wheels before rear wheel dish screwed everything up!
jerk

Too Tall
09-27-2004, 05:54 AM
Make yah SUCH a deal-e-o. I'll toss my shop and see what I can find...am pretty sure I've got some spares. I'll count them and see what I've got. Actually, I trashed the rear roller racing...groan...what a bozo move.