PDA

View Full Version : broken rib from car hit

roadie7
09-25-2004, 09:59 AM
Wed. morning as i was finishing a 20 mile rout about 6 am I was hit by a car that claimed they couldn't see me; whtich is strange since I have a flashing red light that can be seen 2000 feet. This is a favorite course of mine so I've ridden it dozens of times over the last 6 years. After my ambulance ride to the local Emergency Dept. the prognosis is that I have a broken rib. I was wondering if anyone knows how long I'll be out from ridieng. Right now it hurts when I bend over or stretch. Also, any ideas of how to help the healing process along?

By the way, I think I got the worse of it compared to my 6-week old Concourse. I'll be taking it to the shop but so far, the front wheel doesn't spin. Fortunately I bought the extended warrrenty.

The most amazing aspect of this experience was all the people who stopped to help me. In fact, one person took my bike home and delivered to me later that day. It may be again believe in the goodness of people.

Thanks.

pale scotsman
09-25-2004, 11:26 AM
Good to hear it's "just" a broken rib. I hate to sound like a broken record, but it could have been worse. Also it's nice to hear about those stopping to help.

Hope the Concourse checks out OK!

dave.delano
09-25-2004, 11:39 AM
After collar bones. ribs are broken most often in bike crashes....to ease the discomfort, an ace bandage wrap or taping will limit the amount of movement. Apply liberal amounts of adult beverages. No sneezing, coughing, or laughing!

Birddog
09-25-2004, 12:44 PM
I disagree, you need to toughen up. Have someone you know go around the house sprinking pepper or other like substances. After a few unexpected sneezing attacks, you will be ready for anything, and riding will be a piece of cake.

In all seriousness, you just have to decide if you can take it, ribs often don't heal that quickly, so some discomfort is to be expected. I know, several years ago I crushed both sides of my ribcage (28 fractures on one side). You just have to suck it up after awhile.

Good luck,
Birddog

Jeff Weir
09-25-2004, 02:00 PM
It might take 3-4 weeks before you feel good enough to ride. Not such a good idea to tape the area, it will restrict your breathing/lungs...you are better off being able to take normal/deep breaths, rather than shallow ones.
A few years ago I broke My collarbone and 3 ribs. 6 weeks after breaking them (they felt fine) I fell off my mountain bike and broke the same ribs all over again.
I haven't been on my mountain bike since!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin
09-25-2004, 02:42 PM
I hope that you heal quickly.

Kevin

Dekonick
09-25-2004, 06:28 PM
OK - seriously: listen up.

it is gonna hurt na matter what (had a similar experience, except it was a friends knee that did the damage, not a car...)

you need to breathe - and deeply - even though it is gonna hurt like hell. You risk pneumonia (and other things) if you dont keep your lungs well excercised. Some movement also stimulates bone growth (not too much movement, but breathing is enough)

I was out of comission for 3 weeks or so.

Just remember to do your breathing excercises. Any of the MD phorumites please jump in! Pbob?? Gasman??

gasman
09-25-2004, 08:36 PM
how badly it's broken. If it is just "cracked" and the ends aren't out of place (which I assume is the case) you will need to rest for a while ( couple of weeks) and just use pain as your guide to how much you can do. It will be months before you no longer have pain on movement but it will get better. If you restrict you breathing too much like Dekonick said you can get pneumonia but since you are healthy you will probably be fine.

I broke a rib snowboarding last winter so I feel your pain. I'm just glad that you are OK and is your bike.