PDA

View Full Version : Thursday, 5/15 is Bike to Work Day - who's commuting?

thejen12
05-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Just wondering how many of us will be bike commuting on Bike To Work Day (BTWD), Thursday, 15 May. Count me in! :banana: I'm especially curious if anyone will be trying it for the first time.

Jenn

Ginger
05-10-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm a week off... I thought BTWD was last week...for some reason I also thought it was Friday...and I wasn't quite ready to do back to back 45 mile days...(I did ride in Thursday, and Ill probably ride in three times next week as well.

northbend
05-10-2008, 03:24 PM
In Seattle, Friday May 16 is bike to work day. I am looking forward to it!

http://www.cbcef.org/btw/btw_day.html

I am lucky enough to have a route with good roads most of the way - 56 miles round trip. Got 4 days in this past week now that the weather is better.

Bill Bove
05-10-2008, 04:38 PM
I haven't owned a car since 1994, been commuting ever since. Car payments, insurence and gas money haven't been in the budget since then either. All more money to squander on bike stuff.

Louis
05-10-2008, 04:51 PM
35 miles each way on car-infested roads with idiot drivers is not my idea of fun. However, I will hopefully ride that day.

Louis

hokoman
05-10-2008, 06:27 PM
It'll be my first day in years (over 7) that i'll make an attempt at it. I am going to be going at a super leisurely pace so I don't break a sweat - 20 miles. Maybe I'll see you on the road... I'm heading from Santa Clara to Stanford. I have biked to/from Caltrain to work - does that kind of count?

bigbill
05-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Like the previous poster said, BTWD is Friday here in the Seattle area. I commuted 4/5 days this past week and the weather this week looks even better. My commute is 42 miles round trip with a total of 2200 feet of climbing. My challenge on the 16th is the driveway work I have scheduled that day. We bid on some excavation work at a charity auction so they will be there on the 16th to grade and clean up followed by a gravel delivery at 2pm. If I ride, I will have to leave work by noon to get home in time for the COD gravel delivery.

For me, it is silly to plan a commute around a date on the calendar. I usually commute 3-4 days a week year round. I did it everyday in Hawaii.

thejen12
05-10-2008, 07:01 PM
It'll be my first day in years (over 7) that i'll make an attempt at it. I am going to be going at a super leisurely pace so I don't break a sweat - 20 miles. Maybe I'll see you on the road... I'm heading from Santa Clara to Stanford. I have biked to/from Caltrain to work - does that kind of count?
Hey, we might take the same route - Homestead to Foothill?

Biking to/from Caltrain TOTALLY counts, too!

Jenn

don'TreadOnMe
05-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Me.
22 miles each way, hopefully Mon-Fri next week.

Tom
05-10-2008, 07:11 PM
I gotta drag a laptop back and forth in case I have to do support, it's about a 40 mile round trip by roads where you can ride a bike, they'll take a dim view of me trashing the stupid computer and they won't let me dial in using my own equipment, so....

I'm working from home as much as I can get away with. Screw 'em. They need me more than I need them.

djg
05-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Sure, most of my riding during the week is built around my commute. Bike to work day is not really just an everyday commute for me, because there's free bagels and t-shirts. And the camraderie thing.

I'll be promoting it at work.

Fixed
05-10-2008, 09:27 PM
I haven't owned a car since 1994, been commuting ever since. Car payments, insurence and gas money haven't been in the budget since then either. All more money to squander on bike stuff.
I love this cat
cheers bro
imho

hokoman
05-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Hey, we might take the same route - Homestead to Foothill?

Biking to/from Caltrain TOTALLY counts, too!

Jenn

Yes.... Homestead to Foothill!!! :beer: The shorter route would be Central/Alma but I value my life too much! My commuter might be finished by that date too.... I normally don't commute because I wear a suit to work and I'm not into the body wipe shower deal.....

hokoman
05-10-2008, 10:08 PM

I met a guy out on the road a year back or so... and he estimated he's logged in just over 200k on the bike he was riding ( purchased in the 80's if I remember correctly)... and that's his "good weather" bike - wonder how many miles he has on the bikes combined (not that we have many bad weather days in the bay area)... he doesn't own a car, just 2 bicycles. I was very, very impressed with my conversation with him out on the road. He doesn't ride with clipless, just running shoes and his bike was pretty ragged (probably couldn't get more than $50 for it a garage sale.)

mikki
05-11-2008, 01:21 AM
I would love to commute to work via bike, but my last massages of the day are home visits and I lug a heavy massage table with a set of sheets for each person plus lotion, etc. in their homes. Look pretty interesting carrying that on my bike!!

Ken C
05-11-2008, 01:31 AM
I should have posted this with the, "Are you driving more now due to higher gas prices" thread.

The apartment that I selected is less than two blocks from my office. The area that I live in is in South Denver, in the Tech Center. Within one city block I work, have my dentist and my doctor, and there are five to seven bars and restaurants. We are less than a ten minute walk to the light rail into downtown denver. I have a car, but I now put less than 5k a year in mileage on it. Most of it is to drive to Boulder to visit my parents and ride. My fiance does have to commute 15 minutes to work, but when we buy a house I think we will select a place that minimizes the carbon footprint for us both.

I think the future is to develop self contained areas that have all our needs within a couple of miles and then use public transportation to fill in the gaps.

hokoman
05-11-2008, 01:33 AM
I think the future is to develop self contained areas that have all our needs within a couple of miles and then use public transportation to fill in the gaps.

sounds like nyc! :)

sellsworth
05-11-2008, 09:36 AM
My commute has right around 8000' of climbing involved. I do it occasionally but I won't have time this Thursday.

bumperjohn
05-11-2008, 01:56 PM
I will be commuting to work on BTWD, but then again, I ride to work every chance I get which is usually 4 days a week.

John

Orin
05-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I bike commute one to three times a week on average. BTWD won't affect my decision on the day in question... though I might vary my route to completely avoid the local trail!

Orin.

davids
05-12-2008, 06:55 AM
I hardly ever commute by bike. I commute on public transportation, so I'm already getting a car off the road.

I'm going to try using the bike for most of the week, as much to play with the logistics as for any other reason. I don't have a shower at work, so I'm going to try to keep to a more stately pace this morning...