PDA

View Full Version : Grease (noun) question

MilanoTom
05-10-2008, 09:10 AM
I was at Pep Boys the other day, and saw an interesting assortment of specialized automotive greases. I usually use Phil grease with my bikes and have a decent stock of Campagnolo grease laying around, but I got to wondering - are there any automotive greases that work as well or better than the bike brands? One the auto greases looked and smelled a lot like Phil, and that's what got me wondering?

Regards.
Tom

RocketDog
05-10-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm sure there are greases that will work as well. I doubt Phil Wood employs chemists to develop their grease, nor do they manufacture it themselves. Rather someone at PW took the time to search out and spec a very good grease for their application. My suspiscion is that marine grease would be the best replacement due to it's resistance to shearing and water displacement.

TMB
05-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Any auto or marine focussed white lithium grease or teflon grease will be just fine.

They are focussed on much more intensive applications than bicycling.

Too Tall
05-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Auto Store Grease that I use instead of brand name "bicycle lube":
1. White Lithium
2. Anti Sieze
3. Assembly lube (however prefer what Rock n' Roll sells)

Whatever :rolleyes: There is no substitute for phil drip oil or their solid grease. Dot Period.

LO^OK
05-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Depends what for. Different applications are best served by tailored lubricants. For instance I've got a branded "bicycle" grease claiming to be suitable for everything - hubs, BB, and headsets. I distrust such claims as these components operate in very different conditions. And true, the headset became butterly smooth once packed with very high viscosity grease, much much better that with the "bicycle" grease or as lubed by the LBS. Obviously the same grease will be wrong if putted in hubs. There, a low friction high speed bearing grease made difference too over the green coloured grease from Shimano. The greases I settled on are from the bearing manufacturer SKF.

At the end of the day perhaps all of this is of minor significance and I am just being fastidious. Yet, quality components cost a lot (for me anyway) and I feel they should be properly maintained.