PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Bottom Bracket - How to re-grease??

maximus
05-09-2008, 06:41 PM
So I am somewhat of a novice here. I have only installed a brand new BB. This is my first time building up an older frame (a 1985 CIOCC)..

I just got a Dura Ace cup & cone bottom bracket circa the same era (BB-7400). It was used, so i cleaned off all the old grease. I have some new park-tool grease and was wondering if there was any particular way to re-grease the bearings? Want to do this right - any advice appreciated!!

stevep
05-09-2008, 06:48 PM
put a little on the bearings. doesnt need a pile.
mostly the bearings are pregreased in that little package.

excess grease does nothing but attract stuff.

maximus
05-09-2008, 06:52 PM
yea..the pic is just for reference btw.

the old grease was pretty dirty, so I decided to give the bearings, races and cups a good clean. they are spotless now without any grease. I did give it a go, put a bit of grease on .....looked good...but second guess myself and decided to see what kind of advice I could grab on the forum before tightening the BB.

maunahaole
05-09-2008, 06:53 PM
If you put in TOO much it will seep out the sides on to the spindle anyway.

Louis
05-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Enough to keep the balls in place during assembly (assuming you aren't using a cage) is usually sufficient. If there is a cage I sort of load that up and pop the whole thing in. Too much is probably less dangerous than too little, but as noted above, messy after a while.

Good Luck
Louis

Too Tall
05-09-2008, 07:08 PM
First, good for you :)
Boss, which Park brand grease are you using?
I'd suggest phil wood bearing grease as the gold standard.

WadePatton
05-09-2008, 07:59 PM
I grease liberally. If it runs out, wipe it off. Where there is grease there isn't moisture.

And if cup and cone bearings are repacked regularly, they'll last forever.

maximus
05-10-2008, 04:41 AM
First, good for you :)
Boss, which Park brand grease are you using?
I'd suggest phil wood bearing grease as the gold standard.

Polylube 1000 by Parktool. I may just go ahead and grab some of the Phil Wood stuff. I have not owned any Phil Wood hardware - but everyone that has seems to stand loyal to the brand.

Everyone - I really appreciate that advice. Looks like I cant really go wrong by packing it in there. Better safe than sorry.

Sam in VA
05-10-2008, 06:55 AM
I would also recommend replacing the bearings while you are at it. The original balls will develop an oval shape from wear over time. This is fine if they stay in their original positions and orientation, but once removed for cleaning it is lost. If you reuse the bearings, you will need to continue to readjust the bearings for a while as they "refind" the proper orientation.

You should be able to get bearings from your LBS... or you can get them by the 100 inexpecsively from someone like Loose Screws. Make sure to get Grade 25 CrMo

OOps - I just rearead your post and realized that yours are new - disregard the above advice until the next overhaul