PDA

View Full Version : Look Keo Question

duke
05-09-2008, 02:17 PM
I am contemplating Look Keos with the Ti spindle. Has anyone had any experience with the Ti version? I might have heard rumors of longevity issues with these. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
duke

znfdl
05-09-2008, 02:29 PM
No experience with the Ti spindles, but I have not had any problems with the cro-moly spindles.

For me, saving 10 grams per pedal was not worth the extra $

Cdub
05-09-2008, 02:47 PM
+1

Orin
05-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Here is a quote from a local rider who had a Look Keo shear off last year:

"A little thing like a breaking a spindle on a pedal can really set you
back. My Femer was pushed into my pelvis and cracked it in three places,
then the Femer dislocated. It took three days of traction and nearly 7
hours of surgery to put me back together. The hard part was the waiting
for the pelvis to heal (6 weeks) before I could put weight on that leg. I
have just reached that stage, the doctors at Harborview will tell me
tomorrow. Here is hoping..."

And only a week or two ago there was a thread on rec.bicycles.tech about another one that sheared off, fortunately resulting in a lot less damage.

Personally, I wouldn't ride them if you gave them to me.

Orin.

zap
05-09-2008, 04:18 PM
I have both models.

Both work well.

I have roughly 10K miles on the ti model. Weight difference is 30-40 grams so if that's what you want, go for it. Mind you, if you weigh 180lbs+ and race cat 3 and up, you might want to stick with the cromo model.

wasfast
05-09-2008, 04:34 PM
I have the cro-mo version on 3 bikes with perhaps 10K miles total. Ti was too expensive for the weight savings. Not sure if the earlier comment was about ti version being the broken pedal or a comment on Keo's in general. I'm quite happy with mine.

Charles M
05-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Probably 12 sets in the last few years...

I've worn the material heavily on two sets enough that you plainly see that a lot of the body is just plain gone (thousands of miles) and never a problem. I've also mounted those two sets on and off a a few dozen bikes and no trouble with the socket rounding

But I sit round 150 lbs...

M.Sommers
05-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Get Campy Chorus pedals and call it a daymo.

:beer:

duke
05-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the info. Orin, do you know if that was that a Ti spindle that sheared or a CroMo?
duke

Orin
05-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the info. Orin, do you know if that was that a Ti spindle that sheared or a CroMo?
duke

CroMo I believe. Certainly wasn't Ti.

Orin.

Ken C
05-10-2008, 12:25 AM
I doubt that is was the cro mo version. All things being equal steel is stronger than titanium for the same demensions. That is why titanium bike tubes are larger than steel tubes on a bike. That is also why titanium spindle pedals have a weight limit and cro mo ones do not.