PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Article on Triathalon Training

bocarider
05-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Interesting article on tri training in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/health/nutrition/08BEST.html#

The prevailing wisdom appears that you just can’t do it all well.

Bonus points for the first person to spot what is wrong with the picture accompanying the article.

M.Sommers
05-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Don't laugh, a friend of mine did a tri, the bike portion, using his mother-in-law's mountain bike, purchased from Walmart.

He's on a rocket this year, thanks to Handsomerob (and a $99.00 Campy cable).

:beer:

PS. As for my bonus, buy my Pinarello Prince for sale in the classified so I can get a friggin bike that fits.

PaulE
05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Although my idea of a swim is to lay on a raft in the pool, and I am like Richard Pryor in that I only run when I'm on fire. My cycling is suffering a little this year though at the expense of my eating and drinking which are both in top form. :)

Onno
05-08-2008, 11:38 AM
I think the article really only applies to the very, very best athletes. The key point, buried in the article, is that training for triathlons is a way of giving a purpose to what for many middle-aged athletes is the necessary switch to cross-training as a way of avoiding boredom and injuries. A point the article doesn't make at all is that you don't have to be extraordinary at all 3 sports to do well in triathlons (at the citizen level); you only have to be good at all 3, i.e. not suck in one of them.

LegendRider
05-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Bonus points for the first person to spot what is wrong with the picture accompanying the article.

The bike is upside down.

MarleyMon
05-08-2008, 12:11 PM
The bike is upside down.
No, the goggles are supposed to go horizontally around the chainrings,
not hang vertically from the crankarm. :rolleyes:

Too Tall
05-08-2008, 12:18 PM
What's the point? Not to cast dispursions natch.

bleusky
05-08-2008, 07:39 PM

bike looks like a mountain bike