PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Road Madness

Simon Q
05-07-2008, 10:21 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/beijing2008/furious-driver-takes-out-50strong-cycle-pack/2008/05/08/1210131112608.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

Just in case anyone still belived the myth that Australians are a laid back and chilled out lot.

The aggro towards cyclists on the roads here is definitely worse than in and around London where I lived for a number of years. There are a lot more cyclists on the roads here, maybe that's fuelling the fire.

Madness.

rustychisel
05-07-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm laid back and chilled out - I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Anyway, yes, this is pretty evil stuff, a moment's absolute madness for which I hope the transgressor pays a very high price. I would have no argument with selling his home and all possessions and garnishing his wage for the next 25 years until he's paid every cent of an imposed sum for damages, medical, hurt and suffering, and (in his case) a 20% loading for stupidity.

*I'd allow him to purchase a $100 Kmart bicycle as his sole means of transport, but I'm inclined to be malicious in my attempts at humour.

BBB
05-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Simon, I agree with the more aggro part. A few weeks back I got yelled at, honked at, gesticulated at and in one case had a bloke in a four wheel drive drift, deliberately, through the roundabout to the left hand side of the road while giving me a mouthful. And this was up around Warrandyte/Eltham on a Sunday morning in what can hardly be described as busy road conditions. One driver getting their knickers in a twist I can understand, but six or seven?

GregLR
05-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Add to all this the 'hit & run' incident in Canberra early last Friday morning on the Cotter Rd, when a ute (=pick-up), complete with a dog in the back, drove into the Vikings bunch and brought down three riders (the vehicle hit the rear wheel of one and the front wheel of another, and the third rider crashed over the top of them). Fortunately the riders were OK, after a visit to hospital. Their bikes were wrecked. A following motorist noted the ute's number plate, and after a delay (while he dropped his kids off at school) provided this to the police. The driver "presented" at a police station later that morning. I don't know the outcome of that yet.

Louis
05-08-2008, 12:26 AM
It is understood they know who the driver of the car is, and are attempting to contact him now.

"And are attempting to contact him" ***?

So exactly what are the doing? Leaving voice-mail messages asking him to please give them a call if he feels like it? They need to be out on a manhunt to arrest that pr!ck.

531Aussie
05-08-2008, 01:53 AM
yeah, it's not great here. I think Cadel Evans said when he was here over Chirstmas that Australia is just about the worst place in the western world for inconsiderate drivers.

It's not made any better by our fat, redneck, right-wing AM radio shock jocks, such as Mitchell and Hinch. Fairdinkum, Mitchell is a disgrace

classic1
05-08-2008, 02:19 AM
The lack of respect for life, general lack of perspective and pisspoor driving skills displayed on the roads out here never ceases to amaze me.

William
05-08-2008, 04:07 AM
Does this mean that these aren't only meant for the occasional errant Boomers? :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

http://www.ecb.com.au/barjo/BFMKII%20Barjo%20arc%20bar_filtered%20(Custom).jpg

http://www.theuteshed.com.au/photogallery/Bullbars&nudgebars/tuff%20landcruiser%20bar2.jpg

Hope they catch him and string um by the toes.

William

3chordwonder
05-08-2008, 04:13 AM
Are Hinch and Mitchell on some anti-cycling crusade, are they?

Never listen to whatever radio stations they're on so I wouldn't know, but it doesn't surprise me. The Age here in Melbourne did enough work to beat up cyclists as reckless pensioner-killers not long ago. Talk about a disgrace imho.

deechee
05-08-2008, 09:46 AM
anyone know how to write to Kate Nichols? I know that if my gf was in her shoes, she would probably throw her bike into the garbage.

BURCH
05-08-2008, 10:29 AM
I really feel for Kate Nichols. She has to be so frustrated and afraid of cycling right now. I hope things look up for her and if she can get back on the bike, I hope that she never has another issue. Poor thing.

andy mac
05-09-2008, 08:30 PM
as a gross generalization aussies are far more aggressive drivers than americans.

add to that general agro behaviour, biffo in bars, fights in sport etc.

:confused:

thinpin
05-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Driver apparently was on Macquire radio yesterday "defending his actions"! Claimed car stopped in front of him :confused:
Cops have not yet charged him :crap:

thinpin
05-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Here's the link

http://au.news.yahoo.com/080508/2/16sam.html

Nail 'im up I say

BumbleBeeDave
05-10-2008, 06:29 AM
. . . They can't resist inserting some language that implies that this was somehow the cyclist's fault for riding at "peak times" or not splitting into "smaller groups." What would a "smaller group" have done here? Been more vulnerable to some psycho like this plowing into them?

BBD

Climb01742
05-10-2008, 07:03 AM
. . . They can't resist inserting some language that implies that this was somehow the cyclist's fault for riding at "peak times" or not splitting into "smaller groups." What would a "smaller group" have done here? Been more vulnerable to some psycho like this plowing into them?

BBD

yes, you can see the seeds of a "rationale" for letting the driver off. it's such a bummer that, still, for so many people, cycling is seen as part of the problem, instead of part of the solution.

BumbleBeeDave
05-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Here's what the end of the story said . . .

<<<Roads Minister Eric Roozendaal said cyclists were legally allowed to use the roads at any time, but added it was "not helpful" for them to ride at peak times.

"I would have thought it was probably better if they weren't interrupting peak-hour traffic, but most cyclists are responsible and don't cause traffic issues," Mr Roozendaal told reporters.

Mr Roozendaal plans to meet with Cycling NSW next week to hear its concerns.

Senior NRMA adviser on road safety Anne Morphett said large packs of cyclists should split into smaller groups to allow motorists to overtake safely.

But she admitted Australian drivers were not as good as Europeans at sharing the road.>>>

Now keep in mind these are people in the government whom you would imagine have the job of ensuring that ALL road users have equal access--the "Roads Minister" and the "adviser on road safety", for Pete's Sake! At least, this is assuming that Aussie law contains some sort of language guaranteeing that public roads are open to all users. Perhaps some Aussie forum member can supply the answer to that.

Yet their words make it obvious they feel that roads are, first and foremost, for cars. They seem to clearly feel that cyclists should give way to cars and stay off the roads at "peak times." If someone is going to commute by bike, aren't these "peak times" EXACTLY the times they would also need to use the roads to get to work?

Is it any wonder that these cyclists were traveling in a large group? If this is what happened to a large group--complete with drivers jeering the injured as emergency personnel tried to help them--then imagine what aggressive drivers there might dare to do to a SINGLE cyclist out on the roads?

BBD