PDA

View Full Version : Need for Overhaul?

Miranda
09-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Hello,

This may seem like a dumb question but would it be a good idea to have my track bike overhauled this winter? This was my first real season of racing it and prior to that it was not ridden much and mostly stored in a basement for 12 years. Would the lubricants break down over time? Also should I deflate my tubular tires when they are not being used for storage?

Thank You!

Miranda

Louis
09-25-2004, 12:10 AM
No one’s responded to this one, so I’ll put in my $0.02 worth:

I would not “have it done.” I think you should do it yourself.

You might not have all the tools, but they’re easy enough to purchase without spending a whole lot more than an overhaul would cost. IMO the best way to learn about bike maintenance is to dive right in, and with a little common sense there’s no reason you would not be able to handle this. For obvious reasons a track bike is especially straightforward. After all this time I would expect to find some dried/caked grease, at least in the headset (which can still operate for quite a while with practically no grease) and quite possibly elsewhere. Keep track of what parts come from where, check out the Park tool web site (www.parktool.com) for great info how to do stuff, ask your LBS for help if you get stuck, and it will all work out.

As far as the tires go, I think that they would loose pressure quickly enough if the bike were not being used. Letting the air out yourself will only give you a tiny benefit.

Good Luck
Louis