PDA

View Full Version : Cycling and running

saab2000
09-24-2004, 11:50 AM
The thread the other day about our jobs and how they relate or allow us to do what we really like to do (ride) got me to thinking.

My new job does not allow me to ride as much as I used to as my old job. There are a number of reasons and that fact is likely to improve when I get other aspects of my life more under control.

In the meantime, I do not want to lose too much fitness. While there are many days now where riding is a virtual impossibility, I will be able to run. To that end I have started building up my running fitness. The first day I maybe went .5 mile..... Not much, but I am now up to 3 mile runs, 3-4 days per week.

Are there other cyclists out there who for various reasons supplement their cycling training with running, and if so, how has this affected your riding?

I have heard that running is excellent aerobic training and will help to keep the weight gain that is inevitable when riding trails off under control. But I have also heard the from a muscular standpoint it is virtually useless.

Any thoughts the cross trainers out there? I would love to hear some opinions and some stories. Thanks.

Todd Owen
09-24-2004, 11:59 AM
I should change my name to Volvo2003 maybe....I run 3-4 days a week at lunch 30-40 minutes and it helps the lungs and overall fitness. I feel more fit but there is always the pounding you get with running so I keep it short. I think they work well together,but would rather ride if I could. I also like to hike so the running helps with that hobby. I recently changed from Nike to Brooks and the Brooks use a gel vs airbag and my foot seems to like the gel better and I have increased my pace significantly. My perfect workout on a snowy day in Colorado is to hit the Rec center...do 20 minutes in the pool,30 minutes on the spin cycle and 30 minutes on the indoor track. almost nirvana.I also purchased a Lemond spin cycle last year and enjoy it the most watching a cycling tape while spinning.

saab2000
09-24-2004, 12:07 PM
Well, my "handle" here has nothing to do with cars..... I used to "drive" a Saab 2000 for a living. It is an airplane.

Anyway, I would not mind getting a spin cycle, but that still does not help the fact that I spend about 8-10 nights per month in hotels. Can't bring a bike or a spin cycle with me, but I can bring running gear.

So I am hoping that this little running (hoping to work up to 5-6 mile runs) will make me feel less sluggish when I get on my bike.

Todd Owen
09-24-2004, 12:15 PM
I would like to say I knew the Saab was a plane but would be lying. I travel alot also and always take running clothes just in case. I feel lucky to have run in Central Park, London, and Paris. these were magical places but somehow running made them extra special. You might also buy one of the trek foldup minibikes . I saw Lance pop a wheelie on one in the Lance Cronicles and have wanted one since. Good luck.

Climb01742
09-24-2004, 12:23 PM
as any triathlete will tell you, riding and running can quite peacefully co-exist. i've done both for over 20 years. running does pound your body more. but seeking out softer surfaces to run on, and good shoes can mitigate the pounding. running has a number of things going for it: a good workout in short amount of time. requires very little equipment. can be done in any weather, at any hour. perfect for traveling (just throw in some shoes) and simple to do in a strange city...just run 20 minutes (or 30 or whatever) away from your hotel, then 20 minutes back. burns calories very efficiently. throw in some hills and both your lungs and quads will burn. go for it. just find a pair of shoes that works for you. good luck.

gasman
09-24-2004, 12:37 PM
I find running as a good alternative to riding when time is short. Running fitness only slightly transfers over to biking fitness, the muscle groups are used too differently. I also enjoy being able to swim in the summer to have another change of pace but again there is little crossover to biking. I do find all three can peacefully coexist.

saab2000
09-24-2004, 01:11 PM
I have an Anvil travel bike. Well, it is not a travel bike per se, but it is an S&S equipped bike. The sad fact is, though, that I have not used it nearly enough as a travel bike to justify its existence. It is a super bike, but travelling with it in my job (airline pilot) just is not practical. Too often we have overnights in places which are simply not hospitable for riding or there is not time. Additionally, the PITA factor of bringing on trips (security, bulkiness, etc.) makes it impractical.

I am hoping to be able to bid for more cycling-friendly schedules starting this springtime, but in the meantime I need to do something to take up the slack.

We DO have some very cycling friendly schedules, but they are paid poorly, so I may not be bidding them. We shall see. We have something called a "standup" schedule where the crew goes to work about 9 pm and flies 1 leg. They stay in a hotel and depart at 6 AM, meaning they get about 5 hours of sleep, but have a very easy schedule. This is a 4 (or 5) day cycle of on days, followed by 3 off days. But the In fact, it is really more like 5 off days because the 1st of the 4 days starts at 9 PM and the last of the 4 days finishes at about 8 AM. It would be perfect for commuting from my favorite place in the US (Minneapolis) to where I work (Dulles)... We get the whole day off for a nap and training. I may bid these starting in the spring.

Long, boring post.... But I have off and nothing to do but browse websites of expensive bikes! :beer:

dirtdigger88
09-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Personally, I run only if I am chased. Even then I would have to decide if stopping and fighting would be easier. :eek: Can you tell I am not a big fan of running :confused:

Jason

Banjers51
09-24-2004, 01:30 PM
First post to this forum, although I've been a reader for quite a while.

You touched on a subject close to heart/home, since I've been running and cycling for years. Started running largely for same reasons you've mentioned--not enough time, job interference, travel, etc. Don't have much to add other than the fact that they seem to be very compatible forms of exercise. I do both several times every week until winter really settles in; once we have snow/ice, it's running exclusively for several months. I also approach the two sports quite differently. I love to run in the woods and on mountain trails, hitting the roads only when weather or location dictate it. Conversely, I've probably been mountaing biking three times, and strongly prefer the road. Finally, I would echo the opinions of others that good shoes are the most important element. If you don't have a choice yet, seek a good running store where they'll let you take the shoes on a trial run. Not going to happen at a big box sport shop, but usually not a problem if the folks you deal with are avid runners themselves.

Ken Lehner
09-24-2004, 01:31 PM
As a triathlete of many years (and now a duathlete, to boot), I'd have to say that the benefits of running on bicycling fitness are mixed. As someone always says, "specificity, specificity, specificity". Running ain't biking. The running will maintain your aerobic fitness (if done correctly), and help with weight management, but I don't think it'll help your biking ability. Rather, I've found that running without cycling causes my cycling ability to suffer. Possibly due to the eccentric effects of running vs. the purely concentric motion of cycling?

A friend who did RAAM and who frequently travels usually tries to pick hotels that have an exercise facility; he rides whatever bike machine they have.

Russ
09-24-2004, 02:11 PM
....So I am hoping that this little running (hoping to work up to 5-6 mile runs) will make me feel less sluggish when I get on my bike.

Hey Saab,

I was actually a high caliber runner before taking up cycling. But one day, I went on a bike ride with friends and I had very little difficulty keeping up with them, the only problem was that my thighs (and arse) were sore as heck afterwards, since as a runner, I did not use those mucles as much.

I think running is real beneficial when it comes to keeping your aerobic fitness, but it really sucks when it comes to helping you keep your cycling power....

Nowadays, I try not to ride everyday to avoid boredom, so I run once or twice a week. Furthermore, there are times when it seems to rain for days on end and I have to run more than I ride.... Running in the rain is child's play, but riding in the rain can be life threatening!

The way I feel when I get back on the bike after sereral days of running is good in the sense that I get a break from the pounding (like Todd Owen said), but I also feel weaker. In other words, I can sustain a higher HR but my legs get even more sore, especially if I try to push a bigger gear than I usually do. So what I do after a running day (or a runnining week), is a nice long-steady spin on the bike and I leave the harder stuff for subsequent days.

So, my recomemdation to you? Try to do some sort or running that involves power, like stair climbing or trail running. Or look into something like this: http://www.stroops.com/resistance_running.html Also, I would not go for 6 mile runs.... you really won't need it. I hardly ever run more than 5 miles. But rather I do some strecthing before and after I run and some sit-ups and push ups after. This, I have found, has helped me a lot... By the way, when you go running do not forget to get a good, really good warm up!

pbbob
09-24-2004, 02:46 PM
I ran and did some duathlons for a while until I realized the cartilage was going away. so now I walk at least 5 miles a day and one day with at least double that. it helps with no muscle soreness.

coylifut
09-24-2004, 03:58 PM
It's clear that running is far better than hitting the loby bar or watching Sports Center loop back through. With that said, I find that running kills my leg speed and so I don't run at all during the road season. However, here we are in the very early stages of fall and I'm running two days a week, doing one day of circuit training and riding three days a week. I run not because I don't have time to ride, but because I like the variety.

So, run and if the hotel has a decent gym, circuit train. It beats sitting around wishing you could ride.

Dekonick
09-24-2004, 09:00 PM
get some rollerblades

shumanmo
09-26-2004, 09:01 AM
Don't ignore the psychological aspect of a bit of cross training. I'm a bike commuter and after five days of riding I'm dying to get out and run. I don't know if it is just boredom, the bit more freedom of movement when running or just the joy of my running route (a beach along Lake Michigan), but I look forward to it and I'm fresh and eager to ride again after my weekend runs.