PDA

View Full Version : Whacky idea? front brake attachment

Gothard
05-07-2008, 02:07 PM
I would like to fit a (recessed bolt, dual pivot type) front brake to an older fork (not made for recessed allen bolts).
Can I fit the brake and bolt it only to the front half of the fork, i.e. tighten the bolt from inside the steerer?

The fork is lugged steel with an investment cast head.

mschol17
05-07-2008, 02:22 PM
That doesn't sound safe to me.

David Kirk
05-07-2008, 02:23 PM
I would like to fit a (recessed bolt, dual pivot type) front brake to an older fork (not made for recessed allen bolts).
Can I fit the brake and bolt it only to the front half of the fork, i.e. tighten the bolt from inside the steerer?

The fork is lugged steel with an investment cast head.

you can do that once.....only once.

Dave

Gothard
05-07-2008, 02:34 PM
OK...
Deltas go back on.
Thanks.

Pete Serotta
05-07-2008, 03:32 PM
OK...
Deltas go back on.
Thanks.

Yes, we like having you with us.....please do not attempt to use brake if you do that... :)

keevon
05-07-2008, 03:51 PM
I've had success with the highlighted option. Looks like this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2242/2473834213_3f58367f47.jpg

Mounting recessed calipers on older frames
Rear: Front calipers for recessed mounting have bolts that are long enough to mount in back, if you substitute the appropriate washers and a 6 mm nut.

Front: Here are 3 options:

1. Drill out the back of the fork crown (8 mm or 5/16 drill bit). This is actually quite easy to do with a handheld electric drill, since you're only enlarging an existing hole.

That's it if you can get two front calipers. Sometimes, you may have to deal with a pair of brakes, with one long and one short bolt. If you used the long one in back, you can use the short one in front two different ways:

2. Drill out the back of the fork crown and use an extra-long recessed nut. These nuts are commonly available for use in carbon fiber forks.

3. Use the short recessed nut, but don't put it through the back of the fork. Instead, push it up into the inside of the steerer from the bottom. You can reach a 5 mm Allen wrench in through the hole in the back of the fork, and poke the short caliper bolt in from the front.

You may need to shorten the recessed nut slightly to get it to fit inside your steerer.