PDA

View Full Version : Time VXR on eBay (not mine)

Keith A
05-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Just saw this Time VXR (size large) on eBay with a BIN for $950 which seems like a great price. Here's the link to the auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200222133573&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123)

BTW, I have no relation to the seller or the bike.

KJMUNC
05-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Looked like a good deal until I saw that "not from regular use mark" on the seat tube.....***? Is it a deep paint scratch or a crack/hole in the actual carbon? I'd expect a little better explanation, but it seems like lately people expect you to just deal with major flaws while you plunk down $1000.

Seems too good to be true, so I'd bet that's a pretty serious ding

Keith A
05-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Good point. I didn't read the ad very closely. It would be interesting to see if this is just a cosmetic issue or not as it isn't easy to determine from the picture or the description.

roman meal
05-07-2008, 01:07 PM

KJMUNC
05-07-2008, 04:58 PM
I sent him a question out of curiosity (and it's my size) and to his credit he has posted another picture, but his response leads me to believe that it's a lot worse than he'd like to admit:

"It is more than a scratch but I do not believe it does into the carbon weave. I see no carbon threads showing, that being said I'm not an engineer, or having any knowledge of carbon fiber."

Maybe one of you carbon fiber engineers is more willing to take a chance...... :rolleyes:

Waldo
05-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Yesterday, I visited the shop of Richard Goldie, who does carbon repair work for Time. He was working on a frame that had a busted fork (completely broken leg -- entire fork will be replaced, of course), victim of a garage door. To demonstrate the strength of the fork's steerer, Richard put the steerer in a vise and turned. And turned. And turned some more. He kept turning and turning. After a while I began to hear cracking and see deformation. Richard then invited me to turn. It took no small effort to turn the vise crank a quarter turn. Then, Richard loosened the vise and the steerer popped back into almost round shape.

All this is to tell you that those frames are mighty stout and a minor ding in a carbon frame in all likelihood will not affect its ride. Then again, I'm not a carbon fiber engineer either and your experience may vary.

P.S. and if you're interested, I have a partially built up, then disassembled and unridden Time VXR frame in size XL, model year 2005, for sale for $1400 shipped.

fishbolish
05-10-2008, 03:28 PM
will let you know what its really like,pulled the trigger on it this afternoon.......

Keith A
05-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Congrats. I'm certainly have no experience working with carbon fiber -- but based on the seller's description, it doesn't sound any more invasive than the bosses for the water bottle bolts. I will be interested in your first hand description of the blemish.

mwaldhopkins
05-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I have a VXR- it's an awesome ride.

Enjoy it!

dave thompson
05-10-2008, 04:43 PM
will let you know what its really like,pulled the trigger on it this afternoon.......
Nice score Mark! Post pics when you're all done making it pretty.

fishbolish
05-10-2008, 05:37 PM
worked with carbon fiber in the late 80s(was one of the original founders of nukeproof,before being purchased by john m),shouldnt be a problem,looking forward riding it, wanted a pegoretti ,guess this will do........