PDA

View Full Version : pinks

chrisroph
05-06-2008, 10:43 PM
you guys ever watch pinks, a speed tv show about drag racers who race for pink slips? Its kind of a bizarre little slice of life. If you have seen the show, this will probably crack you up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gth09KEdkQ

William
05-07-2008, 04:00 AM
Ouch!

He should have stuck with his six wheeled Hummer. :bike:

William

A.L.Breguet
05-07-2008, 05:01 AM
I watch it when I stumble accross it. It's good. Some of these guys are living their dream. Cool.

ericspin
05-07-2008, 05:06 AM
Hey, I've got an idea. Why don't we start a forum version of pinks?

We could put two bikes up against each other and then.......

Could be a lotta fun

William
05-07-2008, 05:21 AM
When I was down after my appendix burst and I was pretty much confined to the recliner, I read and watched the tube quite a bit. I caught quite a few episodes of Pinks that were on during the day when I was by myself. Racing is their passion and it takes quite a few cahones to put your ride up for the taking. It kind of resonates with me since my dad was into racing and was a crew chief for a drag racing team. He used to take me down to the track when I was a kid (when he was around). I’m not into it but I like to watch and I’ve owned my share of Hi-Po cars so I get it.

William

William
05-07-2008, 05:23 AM
Hey, I've got an idea. Why don't we start a forum version of pinks?

We could put two bikes up against each other and then.......

Could be a lotta fun

Yeah, but not many of you are my size so I can't use them after I win them. :D

William

beungood
05-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I'll put my "tweaked " diesel up any takers?

Mud
05-08-2008, 06:32 PM
But none of the 1/4 mile stuff. 5 miles full out on the Clearview Expressway. Long, long time ago.

Too Tall
05-08-2008, 06:41 PM
You "out'd" one of my guilt pleasures. I record it on DVR. That's almost what it was like in High School...almost...kinda. I'm a huge fan of using real people to flag the start. Also, there is an immense amount of cheatin' which in my opinion is an integral part of heads up racing.

Louis
05-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Also, there is an immense amount of cheatin' which in my opinion is an integral part of heads up racing.

I've often wondered what totally "unlimited" auto racing would look like (for the cars). Other than sabotaging the other guy's car or tossing oil & nails behind you, you could race whatever you thought was fastest for a given track / road course. Would be interesting to see what they came up with.

Same thing for bikes. Recumbent, whatever. You can ride what you want, as long as you use the same thing for an entire stage. I think we'd see a lot more originality in frame design.

Louis

chrisroph
05-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Its a cool show for the racing and the negotiating. but i'm tired of christianson. the dude is boorish. it cracked me up to see his lack of throttle control on the motorcycle, his squidely wobbly wreck, him ripping his shirt off, and his strutting around in the medical trailer. i was rolling on the floor laughing and thought i'd share.

CMY
05-08-2008, 07:28 PM
There's a group out here in L.A. who organizes midnight drag races (street race style). I might join them next time around as I've long given up the automobile version.

It's an entertaining video even if you're not into the fixie stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZdTgwT0rX8

William
05-09-2008, 04:58 AM
You "out'd" one of my guilt pleasures. I record it on DVR. That's almost what it was like in High School...almost...kinda. I'm a huge fan of using real people to flag the start. Also, there is an immense amount of cheatin' which in my opinion is an integral part of heads up racing.

It's amusing to watch when they get caught sandbagging/pedaling and act incredulous with the "Huh what's" and "not me's".

Its a cool show for the racing and the negotiating. but i'm tired of christianson. the dude is boorish. it cracked me up to see his lack of throttle control on the motorcycle, his squidely wobbly wreck, him ripping his shirt off, and his strutting around in the medical trailer. i was rolling on the floor laughing and thought i'd share.

Yeah, I can agree that his shtick is getting a little boring. I thought the ripping off the shirt part was a bit over the top. It was like he felt like such a tool for dropping it in front of the crowd that he ripped his shirt off as a manly strut, pseudo tough guy cover up. Or in short: "Pulling a rooster".

William

William
05-09-2008, 05:09 AM
There's a group out here in L.A. who organizes midnight drag races (street race style). I might join them next time around as I've long given up the automobile version.

It's an entertaining video even if you're not into the fixie stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZdTgwT0rX8

We used to do that all the time when I was growing up. Depending on which bike I was riding..the Schwinn Scrambler with the smaller chain ring, or the Wildcat with the huge front chain ring...I'd negotiate for shorter or longer sprints. In hindsight, kind of like a kid's version of Pinks. On the Scrambler I could get the jump and spin it at a high cadence. On the Wildcat, everyone would get the jump on me, but I would mash and then spin that thing and go flying by them before the line. Probably where I developed my long distance sprinting style.

great fun!! :banana:

William

Too Tall
05-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Done and done. Next time we have a Notrott or equiv. we'll also have an Stinks all out. It will be street drags. 200 yards. All out racing is done for beers natch. Oh this will be fun.

avalonracing
05-09-2008, 06:26 AM
Yeah, good thing he ripped his shirt off in front of a thousand people because his hand was scraped. Hmm, I wonder if he would have done that if he didn't lift weights two hours a day? :rolleyes: