PDA

View Full Version : NYC Five Boros Tour ?

Steelhead
05-06-2008, 04:06 PM
I saw something on Bike Snob NYC (that was funnier than usual, BTW) about the Five Boros Tour held recently. I have always thought this would be cool, and would like to make the trip someday.

Any forumites do this, or done it in the past? Pics? Whats the scoop?

:)

Hardlyrob
05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I've done it three times - long ago when I lived in CT.

It is a HUGE ride in terms of number of riders - something like 20,000+ Most of it ends up being combat riding with a large number of limited skill riders all on the same wonderful NYC streets.

You do get to ride some cool places like the Verrazano Narrows bridge to get to Staten Island and take the ferry back to Manhattan.

Worth doing once, but I don't think many will make it an annual event - but U could be wrong.

Rob

csm
05-06-2008, 06:49 PM
I've done it 3 times. I always stay on staten island. it's a bunch of fun but it is not a ride in the traditional sense. more of a take your bike for a walk kinda thing. I think I'm gonna do it next year again.

Ahneida Ride
05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Did it once ... Never again without full body armour.

IMHO it's suicidal. I saw a multitude of accidents, one requiring a ambulance.
I was plowed into trying to grab a drink water at a rest stop and went flying.

Helmets do save lives.

Take a beater bike if you must go.

Of course, this is not the PC opinion. You'll always read how great and
how much fun it is. All true ... Tis a Blast. However, the inherent dangers
are not elaborated.

csm
05-06-2008, 07:03 PM
I think the way to do it is a shot and a beer in each boro.

Ahneida Ride
05-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I think the way to do it is a shot and a beer in each boro.

I'll run with Bulls after that ! ;)

csm
05-06-2008, 09:00 PM
that first shot and beer combo comes pretty early tho.

amigsinchi
05-06-2008, 09:06 PM
My wife and I did it this year knowing the drawbacks, but eager to get out and enjoy spring while seeing many parts of the city. My take is, don't travel too far and invest too much in doing the ride. Not very well organized and we walked / stood with our bikes more than we rode.

For instance they try to fit 30,000 riders through a 10' wide gap in a roadway...stupid.

gasman
05-06-2008, 09:08 PM
thatfirst shot and beer combo comes pretty early tho.

And that's a problem because ???

Replying for Bostondrunk.

Blue Jays
05-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Many hours are spent walking and/or waiting at security checkpoints plus access points where vehicular traffic is permitted to cross. Use an old mountainbike and leave the nice rig at home.

csm
05-06-2008, 09:15 PM
no problem that I see.

fungusamungus33
05-06-2008, 10:04 PM
This ride is very well organized and quite fun if you accept if for what it is. It isn't a race or a training event. It is a family event with riders of all skill levels and every sort of bike imaginable. The people watching, and bike oogling are great. That said, I nearly died a few times this past Sunday because of negligent riders.

The complaints, (other than non cyclists/poorly skilled riders) seem to be safety and organizational constraints. 30,000 people in the same place is always slightly messy. The only walking we had to do was in the feed/rest zones. They ask everyone to dismount and walk for saftey. There were hundreds of police officers and other safety pros on hand. The whole thing is a liability that has to be managed somehow.

My wife and I went with two other couples. All of the women on "our" ride are pretty new to cycling. None of them had ever ridden more than 25 miles. They all survived and said they would do it again next year.

My advice to anyone considering the ride next year is NOT to start at Battery Park. Jump in further along the route. Murrey's bagel and coffee shop is a perfect spot for breakfast, meeting other cyclists and merging into the tour early enough to avoid the worst of the back ups before Central Park.

Photos soon.

CCB