PDA

View Full Version : Road bike and Camelbak

paczki
05-06-2008, 10:50 AM
I've started riding my road bike with a large capacity Camelbak. I just can never get sufficiently hydrated on long rides with bottles. Is this way Fredded out? :banana: Should I feel shame?

ericspin
05-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Can't wait for the flaming on this one.

Here is the deal for me. By the time I get one bottle setup with whatever Hammer spooge I'm drinking that only leaves me the option for 16 - 24 oz. of water. That just ain't enough and I hate stoppping at stores. I like long rides and it's hot where I live.

I must admit .........I USE A CAMELBAK ON MY ROAD BIKE.

Go ahead and carve me up. :argue:

BillyBear
05-06-2008, 11:07 AM
"Hi my name is BillyBear and wear a Camelbak!"

"Hi BillyBear"....

I say rock on...staying hydrated is more important than looking cool...way too many idiots around here in perfect kits who have no bike handling skills and can't hold a line to save their lives...

Chris
05-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Stick another bottle in your jersey pocket. Or get some rainbow stickers for your bike.

pdmtong
05-06-2008, 11:13 AM
on a really long day with no stores or sag I will use my deuter. much cooler on the back than a camelbak but same idea - stay hydrated..no matter how it looks

dave thompson
05-06-2008, 11:22 AM
CamelBack filler with iced water on any rides of more than 2 hours or when temps are over 80*. I really don't care how Fred it may appear to the cognoscenti, I like cold water!

rwsaunders
05-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Tell this guy that his Camelback looks foo foo.

znfdl
05-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I use a combination of a Camel Back or Hydrapak and Water Bottles for long training rides. In the water bottles I mix Sustained Energy at double strength, which allows me to ride for four hours without having to refill the Camel Back or the bottles.

Just remember that your body can only consume 20-24 ounces of H2O per hour.

wrestlr
05-06-2008, 11:40 AM
I was in Anniston,AL this weekend for the crit and there was a dude that had a pretty pimp rig. Cervelo, Zipps, all assos clothes.......sporting a camelbak in the break! Funny thing was that the crit was only like 40 min at most.
-Mike

Kevan
05-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Hated it.

Dave B
05-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Don't they make coolers with handles and wheels.

Would hold more then a camel back.

Steelhead
05-06-2008, 11:59 AM
I was in Anniston,AL this weekend for the crit and there was a dude that had a pretty pimp rig. Cervelo, Zipps, all assos clothes.......sporting a camelbak in the break! Funny thing was that the crit was only like 40 min at most.
-Mike

Kinda that whole book and the cover thing. :)

skyflash
05-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I believe Bobby Julich has time-trialed in the tdf with a camelback under his skinsuit.

davids
05-06-2008, 12:15 PM
I used to wear a Camelbak on the road. I wised up.

...I would use it if I was riding in a situation where I couldn't get a refill every 2-3 hours. That doesn't happen where I ride. Hydration trumps fashion and comfort, atmo.

Big Daddy
05-06-2008, 12:18 PM
ghey

justinf
05-06-2008, 12:21 PM
I use a Camelbak on the mountain bike, to avoid losing bottles. I can see using one like znfdl mentions, in a situation where you can't refill. Otherwise what's the point? They're sweaty and bulky in a situation that doesn't require the benefits.

chuckred
05-06-2008, 12:23 PM
But - the one issue to keep in mind - the extra pounds on your back can exacerbate any seat comfort, lower back, neck, shoulder issues... Not a big deal on shorter rides, but if you're getting up around 12 hours - may be an issue. I'd rather let the bike carry the weight where it's practical.

sg8357
05-06-2008, 12:31 PM
I've started riding my road bike with a large capacity Camelbak. I just can never get sufficiently hydrated on long rides with bottles. Is this way Fredded out? :banana: Should I feel shame?

Nope, as long as you never get one of these, you are still welcome.

chrisroph
05-06-2008, 12:32 PM
did it once when the temps were over 100 and i just had to go ride my bike (you know the feeling) even though i shoulda been on the couch and i had ridden the day before and gotten all dehydrated so i filled the thing with ice and water and it was pretty nice although i did get a ticket from the style police up on fairmount.

Lifelover
05-06-2008, 12:40 PM
I use one on long, hot rides. Ice water on your back is oh so FINE!

I figure since my stem already points up, I'm not likely to get laid when out on a ride anyway.

dave thompson
05-06-2008, 12:44 PM

I figure since my stem already points up, I'm not likely to get laid when out on a ride anyway.
Wow, I'm impressed that you're not afraid of either the stem or Fred police! :D

AndreS
05-06-2008, 12:44 PM
I can get by for 3hr w/two bottles in the cages, one in my pocket as long as it isn't too hot.

Hot 3hr rides, or rides over 3hr, the Camelback gets used. I also hate to stop. I've never noticed any significant comfort issues (been using camelback since '91). The weight has never bothered me, even using the 1st gen. camelbacks with the 1/2" web straps. It's never made me feel any hotter - sweat is evaporated by air moving over sweaty skin, and the air doesn't move much over your back during a ride anyway.

The fashion police, so far, have been too busy buying overpriced drinks at the 7-11 to catch me. Prolly cause their muscles stiffen up during those unnecessary stops.

thinpin
05-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I figure since my stem already points up, I'm not likely to get laid when out on a ride anyway.[/QUOTE]

Would have thought that was a prerequisite :D

BURCH
05-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Stay hyrdrated. I wouldn't think twice about seeing a cyclist on a country road surrounded by corn fields in Iowa or riding in the high desert in Utah with a cameback on. Camelback in the burbs of a major city could be an issue.

inGobwetrust
05-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Stay hyrdrated. I wouldn't think twice about seeing a cyclist on a country road surrounded by corn fields in Iowa or riding in the high desert in Utah with a cameback on. Camelback in the burbs of a major city could be an issue.

Why?

Any ride over 2 hours in warm weather and I'm using the Camelback. I've been using them since racing xc in the 90s and have never found handling, weight, or fashion to be an issue. To Hell with the Fred Police!

swoop
05-06-2008, 01:20 PM

two words: erik saunders
but he lived in the desert and there was no where to reload. he did rock the camelback with pride and he is/was a stud.

and two other words: gas station.

do what works for you. obey your thirst. if you like that camelback, wear it with pride.

swoop
05-06-2008, 01:23 PM

(this about the swoop says i'm a biker and not a cyclist bit).

no one said there was a hierarchy. its just that they're different branches of a tree. but they are different experiences. just ask socal steve.. he just worked out how to sit on the thing like a cyclist and its opening up new worlds for him.

riding bikes is one of life's great pleasures. developing a skill set (and your body) and becoming a cyclist is too.
both rock.

one is about mindfulness and skill and one is about pleasure without having to make connections. both have value.

i've been playing guitar since i was a kid. even went on tour in the 80's in an opening act band. i have a really nice guitar. i have deeply soulful moments playing. i love playing guitar. but i'm not a musician. i'm a guy that plays guitar.

someone that's a musician would see it in a second. doesn't make me love it less or make my experience less valid... it does make me respect the talent and skillfulness that musicians possess.

i cook but i'm no chef. i sing but i'm not a singer...
there are more bike riders than cyclists, even at the races. you know when you're riding with a cyclist... there's a presence on the bike... that bike riders don't possess.

Lifelover
05-06-2008, 01:58 PM

no one said there was a hierarchy. its just that they're different branches of a tree. but they are different experiences. just ask socal steve.. he just worked out how to sit on the thing like a cyclist and its opening up new worlds for him.

riding bikes is one of life's great pleasures. developing a skill set (and your body) and becoming a cyclist is too.
both rock.

one is about mindfulness and skill and one is about pleasure without having to make connections. both have value.

Re read what you wrote (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=540883&postcount=66) and tell me again that YOU don't think there is a hierarchy.

I don't really care what you would classify my riding as. I ride for one reason. I enjoy it! The fringe benefits are just icing on the cake.

Enjoying life is the only skill set that I excel at.

davids
05-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Re read what you wrote (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=540883&postcount=66) and tell me again that YOU don't think there is a hierarchy.

I don't really care what you would classify my riding as. I ride for one reason. I enjoy it! The fringe benefits are just icing on the cake.

Enjoying life is the only skill set that I excel at.Swoop, Lifelover really doesn't care what you think. And he wants you to care what he thinks.

swoop
05-06-2008, 02:17 PM

Enjoying life is the only skill set that I excel at.

i think maybe caring even less about what i think, than not caring what i think would be even better for that enjoying life skill!
enjoy!

i am a bike snob!!!!!

Bradford
05-06-2008, 02:29 PM
there are more bike riders than cyclists, even at the races. you know when you're riding with a cyclist... there's a presence on the bike... that bike riders don't possess.
This comment goes for both this and the stem thread.

I'm a bike rider, not a cyclist. I'd be embarrassed to be a cyclist. My definition of athlete comes from my 38 years playing hockey, where how you play the game, and if you can put the puck in the net, is all that important. In hockey, the Fred is the guy with the new equipment and the matching socks and sweater. The cool guys are the ones who don’t give a crap about how gear looks but either A) love the game, B) are great players, or C) all of the above.

On long rides, or when I’m on the tandem, I use a Camelbak Flash Flow, which is a waist unit, not a back pack. All the advantages of an extra 44 ounces but it doesn’t sit on my back, which I find uncomfortable. On the Tandem, my wife prefers to reach up and grab my hose rather than reach down and grab a bottle…and that’s a good thing. :banana:

znfdl
05-06-2008, 02:35 PM
On the Tandem, my wife prefers to reach up and grab my hose rather than reach down and grab a bottle…and that’s a good thing. :banana:

Is she gentle ;)

BURCH
05-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Why?

Any ride over 2 hours in warm weather and I'm using the Camelback. I've been using them since racing xc in the 90s and have never found handling, weight, or fashion to be an issue. To Hell with the Fred Police!

Just a preference really. I know that if I am in the burbs or near small towns that I can always hit up a convenience store for some fresh water. If you don't mind the camel back, go for it. I just don't want to lug one around (even on a 2 hour ride) if I know a convenience store is going to pop up.

Charles M
05-06-2008, 02:46 PM
In the winter, I've seen a few of the pro's that show up here (AZ) from the "netherworld" riding camelbacks.

If you don't have convenient hydration otherwise why not.

I usually pay way to much respect to the style police, but it's a tool. use it if you need to.

stevep
05-06-2008, 03:03 PM
-Mike

hope its nobody here.
he's a moron.

Big Daddy
05-06-2008, 03:13 PM
still tre' foppish and ghey.

train the way of the old guard, go until you're dry. then keep going.

(save your, I'm a rider not a racer...we know who you are.)

fiamme red
05-06-2008, 03:16 PM
hope its nobody here.
he's a mormon.It can get pretty dry around the Great Salt Lake. ;)

davids
05-06-2008, 03:21 PM
It can get pretty dry around the Great Salt Lake. ;)Why bother if you're not heading to Provo?

Acotts
05-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Triathlon Jack approves of Camelbacks

fiamme red
05-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Triathlon Jack approves of CamelbacksLock this thread. :no:

swoop
05-06-2008, 03:30 PM
can we talk about why its important to wear really tall sock and how cool i am?

gdw
05-06-2008, 03:35 PM
"I'm a bike rider, not a cyclist. I'd be embarrassed to be a cyclist. My definition of athlete comes from my 38 years playing hockey, where how you play the game, and if you can put the puck in the net, is all that important. In hockey, the Fred is the guy with the new equipment and the matching socks and sweater. The cool guys are the ones who don’t give a crap about how gear looks but either A) love the game, B) are great players, or C) all of the above."

Steelhead
05-06-2008, 03:36 PM
can we talk about why its important to wear really tall sock and how cool i am?

You gotta check out the Two Johns Podcast, you probably know these guys and they are all about the STYLE. :)

dekindy
05-06-2008, 03:57 PM
I used my Camelbak Sunday on an unsupported 70+ mile ride.

I am riding 50+ miles tonight and will go with 2 water bottles filled with Perpetuem/Hammergel on the bike with a small water bottle in the jersey pocket.

The Camelbak is about the only way I can get a drink of water on a fast training ride without getting dropped. I will use it unless I do not need it anymore.

I used it on the RAIN ride last year and may fill it with ice this year to keep me cool.

Karin Kirk
05-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Triathlon Jack approves of Camelbacks

Can somebody who has photoshop and some spare time please paste bbDave's face on that photo? I need a new screensaver.

djg
05-06-2008, 04:35 PM

i've been playing guitar since i was a kid. even went on tour in the 80's in an opening act band. i have a really nice guitar. i have deeply soulful moments playing. i love playing guitar. but i'm not a musician. i'm a guy that plays guitar.

swoop, you constantly amaze me . . . I read the bit about how long you've played guitar, and then the bit about how you're not a musician, and my brain just assumes that the next line is, "because I've become a drummer instead."

kidding

just kidding

swoop
05-06-2008, 04:37 PM
swoop, you constantly amaze me . . . I read the bit about how long you've played guitar, and then the bit about how you're not a musician, and my brain just assumes that the next line is, "because I've become a drummer instead."

kidding

just kidding

jazz flute.

i know... you can take my tone one of two directions. the stuff wouldn't induce chuckles for me of the intent were totally transparent. and there is always collateral damage even if the message underneath is totally sincere...
you know?

i liked your line... i shoulda used it.

saab2000
05-06-2008, 05:34 PM
I believe Bobby Julich has time-trialed in the tdf with a camelback under his skinsuit.

You finish 3rd in the Tour and you can do kinda what you want. But the guy on the Hayne's Point training World Championship today at noon in DC was wearing a skinsuit. Thankfully, he was not wearing a camelbak.

They have their place in life. But if you live where you can rehydrate on a ride I'd kinda say now way, José.

znfdl
05-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Saab:

I will be at Hains Point at noon tomorrow.

saab2000
05-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Saab:

I will not be. Tomorrow is my last day of reserve at DCA and if they don't use me I am off to the rolling hills and cow farms of Wisconsin for a few days with the folks. :beer:

flux
05-06-2008, 06:01 PM

or in general imho.

:)

bye!

Elefantino
05-06-2008, 06:08 PM
If you ride with a Camelbak, will the Cinzano team stick a pump in your spokes?

stevep
05-06-2008, 06:56 PM
It can get pretty dry around the Great Salt Lake. ;)

read what i responded to.
it was a 40 minute crit the guy was in.
he'd be lucky not to go into a curb w/ that thing on his back...not to mention... 40 minute at 100 degrees is 1/2 a bottle probably/

csm
05-06-2008, 07:02 PM
camel back: shimano
bottles/cages: campy
bottles/cages/pocket: sram

fiamme red
05-06-2008, 07:09 PM
read what i responded to.
it was a 40 minute crit the guy was in.
he'd be lucky not to go into a curb w/ that thing on his back...not to mention... 40 minute at 100 degrees is 1/2 a bottle probably/Agree with you. I was just having fun. Sorry for mangling your quote (moron/mormon). :)

csm
05-06-2008, 07:22 PM
are we starting threads now to see how quickly they can get locked?

znfdl
05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Camelbak: Ultra Endurance Cyclist
2 Water Bottles: Road Racer
1 Water Bottle: Crit Rider

capybaras
05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Paczki,
You are crazy :banana:

e-RICHIE
05-06-2008, 07:51 PM
atmo -

http://images.cafepress.com/image/7948035_400x400.jpg

djg
05-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Saab:

Thursday if the work permits.

Blue Jays
05-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Camelbak use while riding a bicycle or motorcycle in the desert with L-O-N-G mileage between beverage breaks is fine. It's especially nice on brutally hot days when one has taken time to freeze water in the bladder so it melts during the ride. Add a couple effervescent lemon-lime Elixer tablets and it's just perfect!

For rides within range of places to reliably refill waterbottles, they represent a bit more pleasant method by which to carry essential fluids.

znfdl
05-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Thursday if the work permits.

Thursday is my rest day, before 3 consecutive double metrics.

JohnS
05-06-2008, 09:07 PM
I ride all the time with a Camelbak Rocket. It's made for road riding. I don't even have cages on my bike anymore. It holds my wallet, tube, CO2, patch kit, multi tool, tire tools, etc. I think big seat bags look gay.

Jeff N.
05-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I jusy bought a couple of Camelbak Podium 24 oz. Water Bottles (nice!). Like them, but not the thing that rides on your back. I hate weight on my back. Tried it. Didn't like it. But that's just me. I know many folks who swear by their Camelbaks. Jeff N.

fierte_poser
05-06-2008, 09:17 PM
As a bike rider, I like to use the profile design aqua rack on my seatpost to double my water bottle capacity. This allows me to stay hydrated on long rides and also gives me 2 additional pieces of artillery in case I come upon any dogs or style police cyclists. :D

stuckey
05-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Threads like this are silly, but I feel the need to respond to it...
I am going out for 12 hours on Saturday morning and I will bring my Camelback. The two water bottles will be filled with hammer Perp.
The cyclist scene is funny in a super lame sort of way. I ride what I like by myself and do not care about the cycling world outside of Ultra Endurance stuff and assorted silliness.

mflaherty37
05-06-2008, 10:37 PM
My take is that a lot of heat comes off your back, unless you don't have problems with the heat then fine. I can't take heat.

sloji
05-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Rarely does transportation of any kind verge on the practical or enlightened side and yet without the competitive and conformist urge where would we be?

I like to fit in.

As a cyclist I prefer many types of bikes; recumbents, road...whatever if it has pedals I like to ride it but showing up to a fast group ride on a bike with a carbon fairing is like bringing a golf club to a tennis match. So I play by the rules and camelbaks are simply not in the rules! Shave your legs, drop those bars lower, and carry water in bottles...

Just kidding, sports are silly and fun...enjoy!

Blue Jays
05-06-2008, 10:42 PM
"...I am going out for 12 hours on Saturday morning and I will bring my Camelback. The two water bottles will be filled with hammer Perp..."You ride non-stop for twelve consecutive hours into the evening? There are no places to refill waterbottles? Very interesting.

PCR
05-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Take care of your body first! Who cares what other people think. I have run numerous ultramarathons and can't impress on people how important proper hydration is. I have seen it as a matter of life and death. If you are thirsty before you drink you're already on the way to dehydration. Drink deeply. :)

stuckey
05-06-2008, 11:58 PM
You ride non-stop for twelve consecutive hours into the evening? There are no places to refill waterbottles? Very interesting.

Why stop? I am ridding to ride not visit gas stations.

Blue Jays
05-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Why stop? I am ridding to ride not visit gas stations.Very cool. How far do you typically ride using that water/fuel mix? Do you supplement with food or stick purely to energy drinks and gels?

stuckey
05-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Very cool. How far do you typically ride using that water/fuel mix? Do you supplement with food or stick purely to energy drinks and gels?

I have rode up to 12 hours using the water/fuel mix and no food. I am currently working my way to a cross state race and there will be a few 600K rides in there with the water/fuel mix only. I hope to make that mix work all the way up to solo RAAM... I hope to make it that far by 30, two years to go.

cadence231
05-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I have rode up to 12 hours using the water/fuel mix and no food. I am currently working my way to a cross state race and there will be a few 600K rides in there with the water/fuel mix only. I hope to make that mix work all the way up to solo RAAM... I hope to make it that far by 30, two years to go.

Go for it! :)

Fat Robert
05-07-2008, 07:48 PM
this, the stem thread, and the glasses thread reveal the depths of dorkness to which this board has sunk.

somebody start another gay bar thread and get it over with.

72gmc
05-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm with mflaherty on the heat issue. A courier bag is like another layer of clothing for me on a cold day--not sure I wouldn't feel more harm than good from a camelback on a hot day.

If you need more capacity and you're not as extreme as stuckey, why not get water bottle cage clamps for your bars and roll old school?

justinf
05-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Camelback on the road, approved fashion:

Blue Jays
05-07-2008, 09:19 PM
That child needs a pair of cool sunglasses to go with that helmet!

ericspin
05-08-2008, 05:10 AM
this, the stem thread, and the glasses thread reveal the depths of dorkness to which this board has sunk.

I'm witcha, this crap is wearin' me out.