PDA

View Full Version : Random annoying mechanical stuff..

benb
05-06-2008, 09:19 AM
1) I don't know whose fault this is... Mavic or Hayes. I have Crossmax XL wheels (~$700 wheelset) and Hayes Hydraulic disc brakes for my MTB. (something like $500 for the whole kit) Wherever the rotor mounting bolts came from.. holy corrosion, and they are a non-standard bolt. Even if I track down the correct tool (it's not a phillips, flathead, allen, or torx) I think they are already so corroded after one winter they are going to have to be drilled/ground out. I've had $500 complete bicycles that didn't have anything corrode this bad so quickly. Looks like some kind of very very cheap aluminum based on what the corrosion looks like.. which makes me think they may not have been safe mounting bolts in the first place.

2) If you want to go for the stealth look on SRAM components.. whatever they use (paint or decal) comes off instantly with chlorine-free paint-safe auto brake cleaner. I have the brake calipers off my Concours to clean them.. got lazy and used the brake cleaner I use on my MTB & Motorcycle. Worked very very well to flush them out and get them working just like new.. but the decals washed off without even having to rub them. It actually looks kind of cool.. I may take all the logos off the groupset.