PDA

View Full Version : Phil Wood: Finally in the outboard BBracket game!

BdaGhisallo
05-06-2008, 05:27 AM
http://www.philwood.com/BB-Outboard%20Set.htm

It looks like Phil's outboard bottom bracket is now ready to go. Could this be the final perfection of the form?

I would bet on them to get it right.

ecl2k
05-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Love phil stuff but this thing weighs a half pound, more than twice that of a similar FSA or shimano unit. Sure it's twice as durable but it seems overbuilt for most people's purpose. I do dream of owning a lugged steel frame with all phil wood and nitto components (which would weigh 24 pounds and cost several thousand dollars) but I would probably pick the phil magnium ti square taper BB in that case.

ecl2k
05-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Their page also states that it is "Available for older press fit Bottom Bracket Shells (Klein, etc)"

That is pretty cool, help revive an old classic frame..

jpw
05-06-2008, 06:59 AM
The great downside is that you won't be able to see the logo :)

Jeff N.
05-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Their page also states that it is "Available for older press fit Bottom Bracket Shells (Klein, etc)"

That is pretty cool, help revive an old classic frame..Just ordered one for my Klein Quantum! It works for my 73mm shell and, once the old pressed-in Square Taper arrangement has been removed, presses right in like a headset. You can even use a standard Park HS press for the installation! ( getting it back out, if ever necessary, is another story, I guess...)The whole concept just makes so much sense! I'm excited. :banana: I'll post a pic when I get it done. Jeff N.

Jeff N.
05-06-2008, 08:40 AM

dookie
05-06-2008, 08:42 AM
maybe even a standard tool for install? *that* would be something!

jthurow
05-06-2008, 08:43 AM
You could always get the Phil bearings put into a Shimano or FSA outboard bb. Competitive Cyclist (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-bottombrackets/2008-phil-wood-external-bottom-bracket-bearings-2712_434_FALSE.html) will even install'em for you.

jimi

Keith A
05-06-2008, 09:11 AM
You could always get the Phil bearings put into a Shimano or FSA outboard bb. Competitive Cyclist (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-bottombrackets/2008-phil-wood-external-bottom-bracket-bearings-2712_434_FALSE.html) will even install'em for you.

jimiWhich is exactly what I have considered doing, but what I'd like to know is the Phil Wood bb bearings that much better than a stock Dura-Ace bearing?

benb
05-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I don't quite get it.. the regular ones are cheap & too easy to replace for me to ever want these.

I "get it" with headsets and hubs since they are a PITA to work on but external cup BBs are a very quick job to replace every year or two.

Vancouverdave
05-06-2008, 09:44 AM
I like Phil's inclusiveness--French and Swiss threading for outboard BB's. This could be a great way to outfit your vintage iron to tweak authenticity-fanatical vintage hounds. How about some FSA's in that Helyett, some new Ultegra cranks in that old Allegro? I love the possibilities here!

saab2000
05-06-2008, 09:48 AM
I don't quite get it.. the regular ones are cheap & too easy to replace for me to ever want these.

I "get it" with headsets and hubs since they are a PITA to work on but external cup BBs are a very quick job to replace every year or two.

I have a Phil BB in my blue Croll. They don't subscribe to the disposable mentality. If you have a lifetime bike getting a lifetime Phil component is not a bad thing. The other day I saw a dude on the W&OD trail out in Vienna, VA with older Phil hubs for freewheels. The bike was a real deal commuter bike with lights and racks and all a 70s granola, twigs 'n bark, Bell Biker commuter bike should be. And had 20+ year old Phil hubs.

Why throw out if you can keep?

Vancouverdave
05-06-2008, 09:51 AM
I just built a customer some single speed road wheels with high flange Phils and DT Swiss rims. Made me wish that I still had my original Phil's--rusty chrome barrels and big flanges.. Sounds like the commuter you saw, Saab.

brians647
05-06-2008, 10:04 AM
http://www.philwood.com/BB-Outboard%20Set.htm

It looks like Phil's outboard bottom bracket is now ready to go. Could this be the final perfection of the form?

I would bet on them to get it right.

Yeah, just in time for BB30. :rolleyes:

BdaGhisallo
05-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah, just in time for BB30

I was thinking the same! I was surprised that it took so long for the aftermarket bb bearing market to get going after HT2's introduction for the 2003 model year.

I wonder what will happen with Shimano and BB30. They look to be championing the press in bb bearings, like they did with Scott. But I have heard rumors that they are working on a BB30 crankset. They are big enough, and seemingly don't have too much invested yet in the press in BB, that they could turn on a dime and throw their weight behind BB30.

Time will tell!

musgravecycles
05-06-2008, 10:26 AM
I drink the Phil kool-Aid in a big way.

Their stuff may not be the lightest out there, but it is built for a lifetime (or 2) of abuse. Doug's got a couple Phil hub'd wheelset in the shop approaching the 80K mile mark and still smoooooth as buttah. Their square taper BB's are imho simply the best available. Their hubs are at the top of most unsupported touring types wish list, the Phil-spec ABEC 10 bearings are as silken as any_hokuspokusCeramicHybridWonderBearing_out there at a fraction of the cost, and I don't know how I'd make it through life without my bottle of Tenacious Oil...