PDA

View Full Version : Pony keg vs. bottles

shinomaster
05-06-2008, 12:51 AM
I'm having a crazy birthday party this Friday, and we can't decide on the method of dispensing bubbly alcohol to friends and loved ones. How many glasses of beer can you get from a half-keg? Trader Joe's has $5.00 six packs. A Pony keg is a lot of $$$ Thoughts? Advice. Chrisroph and Coy you are of course both invited. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Blue Jays
05-06-2008, 02:23 AM
Bottles are easier to manage. Recycling afterwards is a breeze. Less mess. Beer stays colder.

Louis
05-06-2008, 02:26 AM
I didn't know that Chimay Blue Label also came in pony kegs :beer:

maunahaole
05-06-2008, 03:50 AM
Half barrel - the big bar size thing, is 15.5 gallons and weighs about 160 lb. Pony keg is 7.5 gal, iirc. 8 pints to a gallon.

William
05-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Nobody gets hurt with plastic cups. ;)

Just sayin'

William

goonster
05-06-2008, 08:05 AM
How many glasses of beer can you get from a half-keg? Trader Joe's has $5.00 six packs.

1/2 keg = 15.5 gal = 992 oz = 82.67 x 12 oz glasses

Keg FTW. Reusing > Recycling. Put it in a tub of ice. What could be simpler than that?

saab2000
05-06-2008, 09:24 AM

Keg FTW. Reusing > Recycling. Put it in a tub of ice. What could be simpler than that?

Word. Plus Oberon is available by the keg in Michigan. It is one of the best things that Michigan has! :beer:

chrisroph
05-06-2008, 09:28 AM
shino, wish i could make it but i'll be over in bend for the weekend.

false_Aest
05-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I was so hoping you were hoping to stuff a pony keg in your water bottle cage.

BigMiles
05-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Word. Plus Oberon is available by the keg in Michigan. It is one of the best things that Michigan has! :beer:

Founders IPA, then Oberon :D

woolly
05-06-2008, 11:36 AM

Not exactly. A "full keg", aka "half-barrel" is 15.5 gal. A "pony-keg", aka "quarter-barrel" is 7.75 gal.

No?

Fully agree about going the keg route instead of bottles.

MarleyMon
05-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm having a crazy birthday party this Friday...
Hoist one for me, Friday's my birthday!
I'll be enjoying the Hot Buttered Rum show in Indy, but partying w/ you in spirit(s). :)
If you have enough folks to finish a keg, thats the way to go,
although you could you use the party as an excuse to stock up by buying WAY more bottles than you'll need.
Salud!

M.Sommers
05-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Get a keg. That way people like Lloyd can say, "I'm not gonna meet someone like Diane Court at a kegger. I mean this girl was different, man. When we'd go out, we wouldn't even have to go out. We'd just hang out. This girl made me trust myself. I was walking around, feeling satisfied, can you imagine that? But then she cuts me loose. I dont know why, she wont tell me why. Maybe its because of her father, I dont know. She wont talk to me. Wont look at me!" (throws bottle).

Then this can be said, "We're going to a kegger, Lloyd. We're going to a kegger and we'd like you to come, man. We'll find you a girl - we'll find you a babe - we'll find you one hot-lit babe! Instantly! Promise!"
~One of the DUDES at the Gas And Sip

Get a keg, throw a kegger.

goonster
05-06-2008, 12:28 PM

I'm so ashamed. :butt:

That's wrong. My conversion to ounces is off by a factor of two.

1/2 keg = 15.5 gal = 1984 oz = 165 x 12 oz glasses

A "full keg", aka "half-barrel" is 15.5 gal. A "pony-keg", aka "quarter-barrel" is 7.75 gal.

No?

Maybe. I've always heard them called "half keg", "quarter keg" and "sixtel keg" respectively, which is confusing since "full kegs" are not available.

ThasFACE
05-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Founders IPA, then Oberon :D

Two Hearted is where it's at.

woolly
05-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Oh, and another point - how are you going to do keg-stands without a keg?

"Crazy birthday party" warrants a keg - clearly. Maybe a multi-person beer bong too.

Do us proud, Shino.

BURCH
05-06-2008, 01:17 PM
We just had a post derby party after being at the track on Saturday. We had about 50-70 people come thru our place from about 7pm to 2am. We had bottled beer and a full bar (with bartender from 7 to 11pm).

I cleaned up the next day and the bottles were a pain to clean up and organize for recycling. Everyone threw bottles into the garbage with their uneaten food and plates. A keg would have been a lot easier for cleanup afterwards since we would not have to worry about getting the bottles organized. Not to mention that a person can keep using their beer cup all night unless they set it down and loose track of it. The other pain with bottles is that there were many half empty bottles in the garbage. I guess that could happen with cups too?

I would say that bottles are nicer for the crowd, but can be a pain to clean up if you recycle. A keg is easier, but depends on the crowd. Some people don't like having to pump their own beer from a Keg.

Either way enjoy...there is no wrong decision. It is free beer for your guests.

handsomerob
05-06-2008, 01:22 PM
I have had two parties in the last couple months and we did pony kegs for both.

The local "college" beer mart does a pony keg of Budweiser for about $50. The deposit for tap and keg is $100 and fully refundable.

A couple cool things about using plastic cups. They are easily recycled or disposed of AND you can get a Sharpie to write the people's names on the cup. Write the names BIG and they can kind of serve as name tags if some of the people don't remember each others names.

Another couple tips... keep the keg OUTSIDE and get two basic pitchers to help with refills. Keep one inside and one outside by the keg. Filling individual cups is a pain and every time you hit the tap for a 12oz glass you get that first bit of head/foam, but with a pitcher you can keep the beer flowing with less work.

M.Sommers
05-06-2008, 01:26 PM

The local "college" beer mart does a pony keg of Budweiser for about $50. The deposit for tap and keg is $100 and fully refundable.

A couple cool things about using plastic cups. They are easily recycled or disposed of AND you can get a Sharpie to write the people's names on the cup. Write the names BIG and they can kind of serve as name tags if some of the people don't remember each others names.

Another couple tips... keep the keg OUTSIDE and get two basic pitchers to help with refills. Keep one inside and one outside by the keg. Filling individual cups is a pain and every time you hit the tap for a 12oz glass you get that first bit of head/foam, but with a pitcher you can keep the beer flowing with less work.

This is all very good advice.

I add a trip to Home Depot for a funnel, clear hose and a plastic clamp; somebody needs to get hardware.

:beer:

Ken Robb
05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
With a keg you have a mess around it, quite a bit of waste,spillage, sometimes long lines while the beer trickles out of that teeny hose. If you try to hurry ther process you may end up with too much foam. Bottled beer can be poured into the same plastic glasses and the bottles placed in cardboard cases afterward for easy clean-up and recycling. Hauling a keg both ways is a pain and puts your vehicle at some risk of damage should you have to stop/turn in a hurry. If you have a case or two left over you can use it over time. If you have beer left in the keg you may have to dump it. Having said all of that I much prefer draft beer over bottled of equal quality.

soulspinner
05-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Moonshine to the rescue... :beer:

handsomerob
05-06-2008, 02:58 PM
With a keg you have a mess around it, quite a bit of waste,spillage, sometimes long lines while the beer trickles out of that teeny hose. If you try to hurry ther process you may end up with too much foam. Bottled beer can be poured into the same plastic glasses and the bottles placed in cardboard cases afterward for easy clean-up and recycling. Hauling a keg both ways is a pain and puts your vehicle at some risk of damage should you have to stop/turn in a hurry. If you have a case or two left over you can use it over time. If you have beer left in the keg you may have to dump it. Having said all of that I much prefer draft beer over bottled of equal quality.

As I said, get a couple of pitchers, and many of your issues are solved. Hauling a full keg isn't a picnic, but pony kegs are a piece of cake (~85lbs) and will fit in most trunks.

Couple other things... you will get 82 12oz beers from a pony keg. Not only will it be less expensive per beer than bottles, but a keg allows the drinker to have less than 12 ozs if they want which means you won't be picking up a bunch of half full bottles at the end of the night.

It is much easier to keep a keg cold than about 7 12 packs of beer.

shinomaster
05-06-2008, 03:00 PM
I think I'm gonna do bottles and cans of cheap Dutch and German beer. Saturday will be a homeless persons dream come true in the recycle bin.

M.Sommers
05-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Shino, save the money and the clean up mess, take yer party to University of San Diego. :rolleyes:

Roadtrip!

goonster
05-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Hauling a keg both ways is a pain and puts your vehicle at some risk of damage should you have to stop/turn in a hurry.

I am very disappointed in you. You are a bit of a keg n00b, are you not? :)

Blanket goes over the seat (to prevent damage from condensation), and the keg is secured with a seatbelt through the handle.

Mind you, most of my keg use is sixtels, which are fairly easy to lug around, but my friends do this with halves and quarters pretty regularly.

gt6267a
05-06-2008, 03:24 PM

this man knows what time it is. the cups with names is king at a party. i go to yearly barbeque and it works for a whole weekend. if you want to really get party crazy, get cups you won't trash and use them year after year. there is something nice about using my cup once a year at that que.

maunahaole
05-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Three kegs fit quite snugly into the trunk of a BMW 2002.

Those germans were really on it when they made that car.

William
05-06-2008, 06:54 PM
I think I'm gonna do bottles and cans of cheap Dutch and German beer. Saturday will be a homeless persons dream come true in the recycle bin.

http://stokefire.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/generic.jpg

:beer:

shinomaster
05-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Beer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oranjeboom)

maunahaole
05-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Go for the Oranjeboom tall-boys. It's like going euro and redneck all at the same time.

capybaras
05-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Camelbaks for everyone! :beer:

fiamme red
05-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Camelbaks for everyone! :beer:This is the way we do it in NYC: roller party! :beer:

http://www.velocitynation.com/slideshow/1883/Spins%20051.jpg

http://www.velocitynation.com/slideshow/1883/Spins%20048.jpg