PDA

View Full Version : Creaky Look

saab2000
05-05-2008, 08:07 PM
My Look started a nasty death creak today. J'ai peur. It is a plasticy type of creaking noise.

New shoes, so I thought it was loose cleats. Nope. Water bottle cages are secure. Everything looks fine.

I did swap wheels and change cassettes (same cassette on different wheels) and tomorrow will check the cassette tightness. I'll also check the cable guide screw on the BB. The wheels in the pic are the wheels in it now. Before I had been using some philistine handbuilt clinchers, but got my Veloflex Carbons mounted. Sweetness. Plus the Nukes are just better wheels. I digress.

But the creak came out of nowhere. The frame is normally totally muted and quiet.

AgilisMerlin
05-05-2008, 08:19 PM
check the front skewer

spray with wd with skewer open - where skewer rests on axle (both sides - giving it the dub D bath........., has cured my insomnia many times

good luck

fork dropouts alum or carbon.........?

J.Greene
05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
ebay

JG

AgilisMerlin
05-05-2008, 08:22 PM
ebay complete bike to my house 110.00$ , j green pays 4 shipping.............

J.Greene
05-05-2008, 08:24 PM
ebay complete bike to my house 110.00$ , j green pays 4 shipping.............

What did you do with Stevep?

JG

saab2000
05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
I will be sad if this bike dies. It has turned into one of my faves. I think it is far more competent than one might think given today's larger oversize tubing. It is a very nicely balanced bicycle and handles very nicely.

Dropouts are aluminum. I checked the rear on the ride and I'll check the front tomorrow. Also, I will check the cassette integrity. I hope that's all it is.

This one is coming along to my builder next week, along with my CIII. They will be the bikes the guy has to live up to. I want the best characteristics of these two awesome bikes put into my next bike.

dschlichting
05-05-2008, 09:26 PM
chainring bolts?

1centaur
05-05-2008, 09:30 PM
My experience is that plasticky creaks that come from nowhere are not the frame. New shoes - maybe something other than the cleats? Otherwise, it could be seatpost (try dynamic assembly paste or the equivalent). FD tightness also important if the ST is twisting under load.

Creak once a revolution, under load or not? If not under load, could be saddle related.

AgilisMerlin
05-05-2008, 09:35 PM
fork dropouts spray

new wheels

my ksyriums had ribbed nuts..........first ride creeeeeaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkk

cleavel
05-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Hello saab2000,

I truly hope that your frame is OK. I really liked my 381 and I really like my 481 (same geometry as the 381). Unfortunately, my 381 died an untimely death last year. I noticed that the paint was "bubbling" around the lugs. I had my LBS send the frame to Look and they gave me a warranty replacement frame (565) for about $100.

Note that my 381 was outside the written timespan for the original warranty. Also note that I never heard a creaking noise like you describe.

I ended up selling the 565 when I bought my Serotta. My 481 is my daily ride (training bike).

Good luck with your bike.

chrisroph
05-05-2008, 11:20 PM
tighten those little hex bolts that secure the rear dropouts too.

nice bike, i like the ride of my 281.

vaxn8r
05-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Check the front derailluer and brake housing for squeeks and clunks, sometimes the housing ends get creaky and need tro be trimmedd back. Plus all the usual places...don't forget saddle and peddles.

chuckred
05-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Sorry - don't know if you re-call my post about the same thing happening with my new Ridley. It started creaking nastily while out of the saddle climbing. Every time I stood on the entire ride. The bike shop that built it was at the top of a long climb, so I figured I'd stop in and show the mechanic and get some pearls of wisdom. He got on to ride and the creaking was totally gone. I got back on, and I could no longer make it happen. Sort of like that irritating intermittant car problem that always goes away when you take the car to the shop.

I did subsequently tighten the quick release a bit more after posting here - but it's been silent ever since.

victoryfactory
05-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Beautiful Look.
I love my 555.
Had creaking issues with the internal headset. It was the one supplied with the frame.
It kept slipping and creaking. I replaced it and it solved the problem.
Do the "rock back and forth with brakes on" test and see if your
headset is tight.

Good luck

VF

saab2000
05-06-2008, 09:29 AM
I have at least 1500 miles on this bike and have never had a significant creak in the past. This all started yesterday at about the 20 mile mark of a 40 mile ride. I'll get it sorted out, but really hope it is not the death of the frame.

Fixed
05-06-2008, 09:48 AM
nothing makes me lose confidence in a ride like a noise coming out of nowhere
be careful on it till you find it ..
but you are one of the cats here that have forgotten more about riding than i will ever know
good luck
cheers

Sandy
05-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Does it creak if you are off the saddle? Saddles will creak sometimes. Under substantial torque or not.

Creaking Sandy

tv_vt
05-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Check the stem bolts - all of them.
I have a Look 481 - new to me this spring. Was lightly ridden before I got it, judging from the new look of it. Amazing bike, like nothing else I've ridden. Best bike on hills that I've had. Just no flex. Yet quite comfortable for long hauls.

Hope you can figure it out. I wouldn't suspect the frame without further evidence...

TV

saab2000
05-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Check the stem bolts - all of them.
I have a Look 481 - new to me this spring. Was lightly ridden before I got it, judging from the new look of it. Amazing bike, like nothing else I've ridden. Best bike on hills that I've had. Just no flex. Yet quite comfortable for long hauls.

Hope you can figure it out. I wouldn't suspect the frame without further evidence...

TV

Actually, it was used and fairly heavily when I bought it. But in the pic it is clean. The creak is definitely in the BB area. I know I know.... they can come from anywhere. But this one came up in the middle of a ride and is not like a stem creak.

And yes, it is one of my best bikes. When I got it about 20 months ago I was not really expecting much. I liked the KG96 I tried out about 18 years ago in Madison, WI and thought this would be kinda flexi (even though I didn't find the KG96 flexi....) but it is not nearly is rubber band like as one might think. I would happily race on this bike. It is very well balanced and handles very nicely. Not iron girder rigid, but hardly a soggy noodle either.

This frame is a 56 and I would love to try a 481 in a 57. I think the 56 is very slightly small.

vaxn8r
05-06-2008, 04:56 PM
On my Calfee I've had 3 definitively diagnosed and treated causes of ongoing creak, all of which sounded like BB creak. I don't need to tell you this.

1) Pedal
2) Chain ring bolts
3) shift/brake housing ( I was very skeptical but replacing it worked)

None of them were actually BB in origination. On carbon and ti frames sounds can emanate from virtually anywhere. I have a mechanic, who I trust, help me when things go beyond the usual suspects. I can not stand noises interfering with my rides.

Fixed
05-06-2008, 07:39 PM
bro a stethoscope is how the cat got all the creaks out of my cannondale and it has been good since
cheers

merckx
05-06-2008, 07:53 PM
It looks like your rear tire is getting intimate with your seat tube. I have no idea where your creek is.

Peter P.
05-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Don't keep us in suspense; tell us when you find and eliminate that noise.

saab2000
05-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Don't keep us in suspense; tell us when you find and eliminate that noise.

I'll look tomorrow. Hope I find the problem. Today I rode the solid and silent CIII. :beer:

Bicycle perfection lies somewhere very close to these two bikes. Somewhere in between. The solidity, stability and ride of the CIII with the surgical precision handling of the Look. It also is stable and has a great ride.

Both of these bikes will be visiting my next builder for reference.

tomwd3
05-07-2008, 04:56 AM
My new 585 had some creaking last year and it was driving me crazy. I would have sworn it was coming from the BB.
It turned out to be the headset. Simply pulled fork and geased the lower race and steerer. Voila....silence.
Good luck.