PDA

View Full Version : Bike Sadles

Jim Braley
05-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Any ideas on the best and most comfortable bike saddle? I m looking for a saddle for my new Legend Ti. I currently have FizikAliante on my Otrott and it has been fine but I am wondering if either Fizik, Selle Italia or Selle SMP makes something that is easier on the rear end and fairly light weight. Any advice would be appreciated :beer:

saab2000
05-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Trial and error..... There is no magic saddle for everyone.

I Want Sachs?
05-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Turbos have been my favorite. Too bad it is no longer available.

Ahneida Ride
05-05-2008, 11:53 AM
If all else fails, you are a candidate for a Brooks ....

Wallbike.com

Dekonick
05-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Smiley introduced me to the Brooks B-17 - never looked back.

Brooks baby....

Charles M
05-05-2008, 11:59 AM
I can't ride a Brooks...

I can't ride many many saddles that others absolutely love...

Good chance neither can you, so hopefully you have a good shop with a load of sample saddles...

Took me yearssssss good luck.

ericspin
05-05-2008, 12:00 PM
I must say I am a horse saddle guy myself. I really do dislike the aesthetic but the b17 has ruined me. I sit on my Arione now and hate it.

Socal, what are you most recent thouhjts on this as I know you have been experimenting.

scrooge
05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Every saddle are great.
Every saddle is horrible.
It depends on the person.

kgreene10
05-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Finding the right saddle is a big pain in the arse. Selle Italia has a demo program that it runs through select local dealers. Check their website for a list. If there isn't one in your area, Competitive Cyclist demos several for a pretty reasonable shipping fee. The other possibility that I will leave to individual discretion is to buy and try at Performance since all their products are returnable.

bumperjohn
05-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Smiley introduced me to the Brooks B-17 - never looked back.

Brooks baby....

+ 1

rdparadise
05-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I ride the Brooks Pro saddle on just about everyone of my bikes. I don't have the ti rail one so it weighs quite a bit. It molds to your sitbones and you'll never look back. And, it's perty too! :banana:

Bob

Fixed
05-05-2008, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=ericspin]I must say I am a horse saddle guy myself. I really do dislike the aesthetic but the b17 has ruined me.

acquired taste imho
I like the way they look on a fix but i like everything about a fix most times
cheers

Seramount
05-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Turbomatic 2 or older Flite (non-gel) work well for me.

Brooks are just plain homely, could never go there. Kinda like dating an ugly girl because she's a good cook.

SoCalSteve
05-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I must say I am a horse saddle guy myself. I really do dislike the aesthetic but the b17 has ruined me. I sit on my Arione now and hate it.

Socal, what are you most recent thouhjts on this as I know you have been experimenting.

What a long strange trip its been...

I am now working on the Toupe 143 non-gel version and (this is a big caveat) really working on getting lower, bending arms more, swiveling hips, etc and found that when in this much more racing-aggressive position, the Toupe is pretty comfy.

Upright, less aggressive, touring, really long rides..I will always use my beloved B-17.

So, in the end...Racing style position-racing style saddle. Touring style position-touring style saddle.

Its been a great lesson in how I really sit in-on-around a saddle..

Still learning.

Steve

Ken Robb
05-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Turbomatic 2 or older Flite (non-gel) work well for me.

Brooks are just plain homely, could never go there. Kinda like dating an ugly girl because she's a good cook.

I think Brooks are handsome, especially in colors other than black.
To The OP: Search the archives here. We have beat this horse and 10 others like it to death. :)

itsflantastic
05-05-2008, 02:44 PM
I have to second the Selle Italia Turbo vote...
I searched long and hard for a good saddle, this one, to my surprise has been the best so far.

A lot of people really like the Fizik Arione and Aliante's

legacysti888
05-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Simply can't ride the Turbo. Love the Aliante and the Toupe for short rides of less than 100miles. The Brooks Swallow Ti - effin rocks! May xperiment with the B-17 later...

flickwet
05-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I love my regals both ti and steel, also like my swift ti on my old Colorado. Like everyone says its ultimately what works for you. There is a contributer to this forum who has a great selection of regals on his website. I would get one from there cause its atmo.

Der_Kruscher
05-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Even though this has been covered and saddle reccomendations are usually a crap shoot, the WTB Devo is a super duper saddle. Comfy, wide and a touch flexy...light too; right at 200g (OK 207g for mine). I have a carbon model on the way too so we'll see how that works out. It should be a little firmer than the standard which I expect to prefer for my race bike.