PDA

View Full Version : OT: favorite Hay Fever Medicine

znfdl
05-05-2008, 07:48 AM
I was wondering what people use for their hay fever.

Up until this spring I have been blessed with little or no hay fever suffering. On my ride last Friday I produced so much mucus that my poor tummy was upset and had a hard time holding down water.

So, what do you use and why?

Thanks.

rwsaunders
05-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Allevert for me...some swear by Claratin.

armagh
05-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Allegra, because it works. Requires a prescription.

Z3c
05-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Buy some locally raised(zip codes are usually on the labels) honey and take a teaspoon every day. My wife convinced me to try this a few years ago and I have not taken allergy meds since. Cheap, about $2/month, and more importantly, not a chemical. Has worked for everyone that I have been able to get to try it. Small risk, possible great gain..

Scott

jbl
05-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Alavert or a really big cappuccino for me. I dunno why the cappuccino works for me, it just does.

abqhudson
05-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Nasonex Nasal Spray works for me.

MilanoTom
05-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Claritin-D 24 hour. If I need more, I pop a 25mg Benadryl in the evening (but early enough that I can still get out of bed in the morning).

Regards.
Tom

issixtoomany
05-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Claritin works fine for me. Alavert is the same thing, the generic name is loratadine.

You can buy it cheap at costco as "Allergy Clear" or something like that, just look for loratadine on the label.

MilanoTom
05-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Claritin works fine for me. Alavert is the same thing, the generic name is loratadine.

You can buy it cheap at costco as "Allergy Clear" or something like that, just look for loratadine on the label.

+1

I should have specified generic, although the last few boxes of Claritin-D I've bought have had pretty good coupons, and CVS runs specials every few weeks, so the price gets pretty comparable.

If you have mucus troubles, the decongestant is worth getting, either with the loratadine, or in a separate pill.

Regards.
Tom

thugly
05-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Buy some locally raised(zip codes are usually on the labels) honey and take a teaspoon every day. My wife convinced me to try this a few years ago and I have not taken allergy meds since. Cheap, about $2/month, and more importantly, not a chemical. Has worked for everyone that I have been able to get to try it. Small risk, possible great gain..

Scott

That's excellent. As a kid, my parents fed me allergy medicine like it was going out of style. I have no idea what the long term effects are going to be, but I'm not looking forward to em. I'd rather suffer than be popping dubious antihistamines every day from may-september.

Acotts
05-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I used to use Allegra, but that stuff gave me nightmares. All my dreams would be extremely vivid and in fast forward. I woke up exhausted each morning.

i am no doctor, but I have a hunch that there is a lot more to Allergy pills than folks know about. ATMO, they mess with the brain!

roman meal
05-05-2008, 10:32 AM

sencha
05-05-2008, 10:35 AM
I have been also using local honey, I buy the comb and hack off a piece with a spoon. The comb honey seems to be lighter in taste and the wax can be chewed for a short while.

Info here:
http://www.reallyrawhoney.com/healthfacts.php

davids
05-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Claritin 24 hr. I take it pretty much year round.

ecl2k
05-05-2008, 11:23 AM
1st step is usually a cheap non-sedating antihistamine/placebo like regular strength claritin.

2nd step is allegra, zyrtec, high dose claritin (15-20 mg), (or benadryl if you can handle it).
- Add sudafed or use the -D version of these medications if you find it helps (but it is a stimulant which some can't handle).
- Usually at this point you would like to add a intranasal steroid (flonase etc.).
- Add eye drops like zaditor (good OTC) or patanol if eyes are also involved and not getting better with oral medicine.
- nasal saline lavage like neti pots really work and can decrease your need for medications. Check out: http://www.unimedprod.com/

3rd step is allergy testing to make sure you've got the right diagnosis, additional meds (on top of the above) like intranasal antihistamines (astelin) and singulair, and anticholinergics (usually like intranasal ipratropium) to dry up drainage.

4th step - if not controlled with meds or not willing to put up with so many meds can get allergy shots, most people basically get "cured" or have their symptoms drastically reduced.

Oral immunotherapy is new with +/- results in the US. Eating locally made honey is a form of oral immunotherapy in that it could slowly desensitize you over time with regular ingestion. Oral immunotherapy is still being researched and is not really thought to be effective enough to start using it yet. Little harm in honey though so try it.

If I had to pick a one size fits all treatment for allergies with mainly nasal sx for most people it would be zyrtec (zyrtec-d on bad days) with nasonex and frequent sinus lavage!! Or just get shots and get cured but I hate needles and the commitment.

gasman
05-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Everyone is different in terms of what works for them. All good thoughts above.
For me, generic loratadine, occasionally singular and allergy shots.

znfdl
05-05-2008, 12:21 PM
All, Thanks for the input.

paulh
05-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Once a month allergy shot. Great results. No need for any other stuff.

vaxn8r
05-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Once a month allergy shot. Great results. No need for any other stuff.
That's a catabolic steroid. Not good in the long run atmo.

vaxn8r
05-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Allergy shots don't cure allergies. They just notch 'em down so you can live with meds.

Anybody who thinks they'd rather suffer than take allergy meds...doesn't have bad allergies. Any medication has a side effect profile. You have to pick your poison, so to speak. Allergies themselves cause significant morbidity so you choose.

david
05-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Allergies themselves cause significant morbidity so you choose.

really?

tell me more - seriously.

my only thoughts on this are that my allergies can cause sinus problems which in turn can cause snoring and affect quality of sleep.
long term quality of sleep issues are definitely not healthy and i would imagine can shorten one's life.

Tom Kellogg
05-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Zyrtec, Flonase, Advair 100/50. Yup, asthma is also an issue with me. I was willing to just live with it for years 'till my doctor let me know that asthma can eventually cause emphazema. Yikes, my grandmother died of that, but she smoked two packs a day for 40 years. I have no interest in that kind of death, thus, following my doctor's orders for the duration.

GOOD LUCK MR. LEVY!

flux
05-05-2008, 06:30 PM
dayquil and coffee. zoom!

paulh
05-05-2008, 07:37 PM
That's a catabolic steroid. Not good in the long run atmo.

Catabolic steroid?? First I've heard of it. I think it's ragweed juice/extract, designed to lower sensitivity to it, right? Ragweed is the only thing I'm allergic to.

flickwet
05-05-2008, 07:38 PM
ecl2k nails it on the allergy advise. 50 years of dreadful suffering and everything has been tried from old school "shots", didn't work much if at all, to "kennelog (sp)shots" effective but can't be good for you. Benedryl is effective but effectivly knocks you out. Vaxn8r nose it too, allergies can initiate severe sinus infections which in my case are chronic and not so pleasant to live with, snoring is the least of it. It's hard to ride when you feel like merde.

pdmtong
05-05-2008, 10:29 PM
may not work for everyone. worked great for me.

vaxn8r
05-05-2008, 11:32 PM
really?

tell me more - seriously.

my only thoughts on this are that my allergies can cause sinus problems which in turn can cause snoring and affect quality of sleep.
long term quality of sleep issues are definitely not healthy and i would imagine can shorten one's life.
Just because you personally don't suffer much doesn't mean the disease doesn't exist. Some people have their eyes and mucous membranes swell so badly they can't see. Ever see somebody with jelly eyes? You can lose your voice, have an insane itch in your ears which you can never relieve, nonstop faucet coming from the nose, which you can't breath through. When allergies are are severe one can't work effectively or perform at school or ride a bike for that matter.

If you have asthma triggered by allergies that can kill or at the very least make you seriously sick.

It's smart to weigh pros and cons but most allergy med side effects are mild or so minor as to be inconsequential...talk to you own doctor before taking any new medicine disclaimer yada yada yada

cadence231
05-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I had a skin scratch test 25 years ago and discovered I had a severe allergic reaction to ragweed, pine, cedar and oak. I have had the reaction to ragweed that Vax described above. The pine and cedar does a number on me like a general feeling of malaise. I use a power meter and my percieved excetion at a given power level is a 9 of 10 where without pollen present the exertion would be a 3. I know of what I speak.

This year a freind of mine who has seasonal allergies told me about quercitin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercetin). I take Source Naturals (http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1008/) brand which has a synergistic list of ingrediants.
I took it all throughout cedar and pine season this year. The oaks are starting here but so far so good. I take 3 caps in the morning on an empty stomach(recommended because of the bromelean) and 3 before bed with food. I have found if I take it with food, the antihistimine makes me drowsy, which is what I like at that time of day! :banana: At least that's what I think is going on.
I used to take all sorts of rx stuff and now I don't!
I am still holding onto my albuterol inhalor however and will see in the fall and the accompanying ragweed season will dictate it's use.

mike