PDA

View Full Version : Great Deal / Ottrot Scam

alembical
09-23-2004, 01:06 PM
http://marketplace.consumerreview.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=Road&website=RoadbikeReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=46816&query=retrieval

http://marketplace.consumerreview.com/classifieds/upload/Road.46816.1.jpg

If this is not a scam, it is an amazing deal.

For only $1370, you get:
Bike has only 250 miles on it and is in exellent condition. This Ottrott has all the extras and option including a Campy Record kit with Zip 404 wheels and a Spectrom Deda Carbon handle bar. VERY CLEAN and well taken care of.
Other parts on bike include
Campy Record Kit / seat post
ST Carbon rear
FSA Carbon Pro Team issue crank (double)
FSA Platinum Pro Bottom Bracket
Serotta F2 fork
Cris King headset
King steel cages (2)
Record 12-23 cassette
Ritchey Pro stem
Spectrom Deda handle bar
Zip 404 Wheels
Campy Ergo Brain 10
Aliante saddle
Michelin Pro race tires
This bike only weighs 17.5 lb's. Here is a chance for you to get the bike of your dreams at a great price.
No Pedal included
Bike is Size 60cm
This Ottrott has stock geometry
Seat tube 60
seat ange 73
Top tube 58.5
Head angle 73.5
Head tube 9 (W/o headset)
Chain stay 42
Stand over 85

Alembical

Serotta PETE
09-23-2004, 01:09 PM
If it seems to be too good to be true it probably is>>>>> :hello:

Got to be a "fly in the ointment" :D

Richard
09-23-2004, 01:09 PM
At that price, I would travel to meet the owner to verify the deal before I wrote the check

rwl
09-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Surely there is one of us forumites in the Chicago area that might volunteer to inspect and / or take delivery?

If true, this is a great deal. That's a big 'if'. ..Rick

chef_jmr
09-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Maybe he accepts PayPal.

I'll take the parts if someone else can use the frame. :banana:

jberk
09-23-2004, 01:20 PM
I'd check the serial number as well to make sure the bike hasn't been stolen

Sandy
09-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Ottrott ST with 250 miles, Record Components, Zipp 404 wheels, FSA carbon cranks,....., and no ad history, and the price is $1370?? The probability of that being on the level is about the same as Serotta Sandy winning the Tour next year, and he is not even entered, nor does he plan to enter, for obvious reasons.

Sandman

mavic1010
09-23-2004, 01:36 PM
This bike was just sold on ebay. Obviously the seller stole the pic from the auction.

chef_jmr
09-23-2004, 01:42 PM
This bike was just sold on ebay. Obviously the seller stole the pic from the auction.

BASTARD!!! There goes my hopes of cheap upgrades for next season... Now I HAVE to get a job! :p

Jeff Weir
09-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Mavic is correct. The bike recently sold on ebay, after being listed 2 times, and the seller lives about 5 miles from me. The shot was taken from the ebay ad.
SCAMUNGUS!

alembical
09-23-2004, 01:59 PM
I am going to go out on a limb and assume that the bike did not go for $1370 on ebay. I just keep hoping for that situation where someone says that money does not really matter and what matters is that their special bike goes to a good home and that home is mine. The problem is that if if that ever happened I would assume it is too good to be true and pass on it.

Alembical

Keith A
09-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Jeff & Mavic are right about this being a recent eBay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=7101240198&rd=1)

I took the liberty of e-mailing the previous owner and informed him of the scam related to his bike.

tch
09-23-2004, 02:26 PM
"I just keep hoping for that situation where someone says that money does not really matter and what matters is that their special bike goes to a good home and that home is mine."

That very thing just happened to me -- for real! I contacted a seller on ebay and, after the auction ended w/o a sale, he wrote back. The upshot was that he used almost those very words in his email. After exchange of email, he sent me the frame on spec, FOR FREE, and took a personal check from me AFTER I had received it and looked at it. For $200 less than his desired starting point. I don't know that he didn't steal it, but from our discussion it would be hard to believe that. Those angels are out there.

alembical
09-23-2004, 03:16 PM
A little follow-up.... I was wondering why the picture now came up with a red x, so I checked back to the listing site (RBR classifieds) and the ad was now gone. It must have been the numerous reports to the site admin., but the ad is no longer up there, and it likely won't make it back to ebay for atleast another 2 or 3 days :rolleyes:

Alembical

BumpyintheBurgh
09-24-2004, 01:49 PM
I emailed this con artist yesterday asking if the Ottrott was available for personal inspection at his location before buying?
His reply: "I can send you the bike through an escrow service and you will have a 5 day inspection period for testing the bike."

Russ
09-24-2004, 02:17 PM
The link has been deleted!