PDA

View Full Version : John Cherry frames???

rodcad
05-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Hey all,
Anyone own or familiar with John Cherry frames? I recently picked up a "Cherry Club" frame. These are his basic model, tig welded with extended head and seat tubes and a straight blade fork. Never had a straight fork b4. The whole bike is strange looking to my eye, but it was cheeep and my perfect size at 64x61 so I couldn't pass it up. Thought it might make a fun beater bike.

kerrycycle
05-04-2008, 06:48 PM
John Cherry used to make made-to-order frames in & around the Lafayette, Indiana area. He makes good classic steel frames. I'm not sure if he is still making them, but he was until at least 2003-2004 timeframe. Good stuff. His stuff is not worthy of "beater bike" status.

If you want more info on them, call Hodson's Bay Company in West Lafayette & they might be able to help point you in the right direction.

(I'm from the Lafayette, IN area).

musgravecycles
05-04-2008, 07:06 PM
I've painted a ton of John's frames. To my knowledge he's not building anymore...

avalonracing
05-04-2008, 08:08 PM
I used to see a few Cherry frames around the mountain biking scene in the early, mid-90's. The models were the "Cherry Bomb" and the "Dear John". The neat part about the Cherry Bomb was that they were nickel plated before they were painted so they had this great metallic finish.

rodcad
05-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Even I make it my "beater" bike, it'll be sweet. Life's too short to ride garbage :)