PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott Seatpost clamp (binder) size?

wa2go
05-03-2008, 02:33 PM
This is my first post here.
I just bought an AMAZING USPS team issue Ottrott from a former team member.
What an incredibly smooth, fast, solid, confidence-inspiring ride!

My seatpost clamp is holding the seatpost fine for now, but I am worried that eventually it may not, as the ends are just about touching. Remembering my boy scout motto, I'd like to "be prepared" and get one now.

What size is it? I measured 31.6mm with the crude method of wrapping a piece of paper around the seat tube and doing the math. Wondering if it's really 31.8mm. Also wondering if these are available from Serotta, or if it's fine to get one like eBay item # 380021960233, which looks nice in black to complement the CF frame, and is only $11 delivered. (I have to assume the Serotta one would be a bit more spendy?)

Thanks, and I'm very honored and thrilled to join your ranks!

John

Bruce K
05-03-2008, 03:09 PM
John;

Your local Serotta dealer should be able to get you one without any problem.

My recollection is they are not THAT pricey and it really would be the right thing to do for that frame.

Are you worried about the clamp failing or the bolt? Other than stripping out (see below) the clamp shouldn't reasonably be expected to ever fail whereas the bolt could be over-torqued by any ham-fisted (fill in the blank) with a 3-way wrench.

A replacement bolt would probably be in a parts box at your LBS as well.

Good luck with your new and very unique ride, and welcome to the looney bin.

BK

Ahneida Ride
05-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Don't take any chances ...

Get the OEM Serotta Clamp. The bolt is larger then some of the competition.

wa2go
05-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the reply.

The concern is that the clamp itself has stretched, and if it stretches more, it will eventually be unable to exert enough pressure to keep the seatpost from slipping.

My local Serotta dealer is actually the one who pointed out to me that it would be in need of replacement soon. He does not carry them in the store. I asked him twice about ordering one, and he did not seem interested in doing that for me.

I paid him to fit the bike for me, and then went back again to have him fit my pedals when I got a new set. (And he was EXTREMELY competent in the fitting.) After fitting my pedals, he took the bike and wheeled it up to cash register in the front of the store, as if he was trying to rush me along so I would leave the store. (It was early on a Saturday afternoon, hours before closing time, with no other customers around, so I didn't quite understand why he was doing that, and almost tried to stop him and ask him to let me take the bike myself.) He leaned the bike against the counter, turned, and the bike immediately fell over, broke my taillight off, and put a chip dead center in the top of the top tube by striking the sharp corner of a display rack on the way down to the floor. And this on an Ottrott I had bought (from a private party) a week earlier.

He was very apologetic, of course, and gave me a free taillight and had his shop mechanic do a beautiful job of repairing the chip so that it is barely noticeable now. But after doing the damage, he also pointed out that if I inspected the bike closely, especially underneath, that I would find other similar small chips. (Which I did, and there were none, by the way, and even if there were, I couldn't really understand the logic of why pre-existing damage elsewhere on a bike would make it OK for a store to cause new damage to the bike.)

Anyway - all of that is unrelated to the seatpost clamp, but the bottom line is that I sort of felt unwanted in that store, even after spending $125 on fittings and $170 on a helmet and a pair of socks. So if I am going to get an official Serotta seatpost clamp, I think it's going to come from another dealer. It's too bad, because they are the only one nearby, and my first impression was that it was an excellent shop overall.

Cheers,

John

Louis
05-03-2008, 03:41 PM
John, just go to your LBS and give then a blank check in exchange for a clamp. They'll take care of you. ;)

Bruce K
05-03-2008, 06:19 PM
John;

If you can't get any satisfaction from another dealer nearby, PM Serotta Pete and I am sure he will be able to hook you up.

I might even have a spre collar in the basement somewhere but I think it's missing the bolt.

BK

SoCalSteve
05-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Just call Serotta directly. They will be happy to send you one for about $20.00 and the cost of FedEx shipping.

Done!

Now, I wouldnt ever go back in that bike store again, but, thats just me.

Good luck-Enjoy your new ride-I own an Ottrott, beautiful machine.

Steve

Pete Serotta
05-03-2008, 06:36 PM
John, I would recommend the SEROTTA one or the CAMPY one. If you decide to get the SEROTTA one, you can call them (as STEVE mentioned) and get it.

If a problem, just send me an email. PETE