PDA

View Full Version : Home brew chain lube

gasman
05-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Ok so I've used lots of different chain lube but I can easily mix some home brew. I have the remainder of some 30W motor oil from changing the oil on my mower and a 1/2 gallon of mineral spirits from helping clean out my father-in-laws house last year. For those in the know like Dave and Coylifit-
what is the ideal proportion to mix these ? 4:1 ? 2:1? mineral spirits : oil
Thanks in advance.

capybaras
05-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Don't forget the beernuts

Ahneida Ride
05-03-2008, 01:30 PM
The secret is to add (10% by Molecular weight) that Crisco frying Fat
that KFC has been cooking in for the last 4 months.

The Chicken DNA causes a hydrophobic chain (pun intended) reaction in
via a Beta Keytone reduction.

gasman
05-03-2008, 01:41 PM
The Chicken DNA causes a hydrophobic chain (pun intended) reaction in
via a Beta Keytone reduction.

I think it's a Beta KRYPONITE reduction, probably green kryptonite.

rePhil
05-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Here in sunny Florida 4-1.

wasfast
05-03-2008, 02:38 PM
4:1 is fine. You can do 3:1 but the penetration into the rollers isn't as good.

Too Tall
05-03-2008, 02:46 PM
THIS THREAD is a violation of the no chain lube threads before October yuck yuck yuck. Beta Keytone reduction....good one. Eeesh :)

woolly
05-03-2008, 02:54 PM
3.7853:1, +/- 3mm ;)

bostondrunk
05-03-2008, 03:10 PM
I thought I remembered reading like 15 years ago that Pedros road lube was just synthetic motor oil with color added....
I've used Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil in the past and it did seem to work the same as Pedros...

Too Tall
05-03-2008, 03:38 PM
I thought I remembered reading like 15 years ago that Pedros road lube was just synthetic motor oil with color added....
I've used Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil in the past and it did seem to work the same as Pedros...
That's a Rodger Drunkman. I've had a small bottle of Pedro's almost as long as my bottle of Phil. I only use it when conditions are absolutely awful and am willing to clean the chain after cause that 'chit is glue!!!!

chrisroph
05-03-2008, 04:17 PM
about 5-1 then you can use more and wipe off the solvent, pretty effectively cleaning the chain every time you apply lube.

Dave
05-04-2008, 08:53 AM
A wide range of ratios from 3/1 to 6/1 (mineral spirits to oil) will work. Use more solvent if you relube frequently and less is you're too lazy to relube more than once a week.

I've switched to faster evaporating Naptha (Coleman camp stove fuel) as the thinner.

SoCalSteve
05-04-2008, 09:56 AM
A wide range of ratios from 3/1 to 6/1 (mineral spirits to oil) will work. Use more solvent if you relube frequently and less is you're too lazy to relube more than once a week.

I've switched to faster evaporating Naptha (Coleman camp stove fuel) as the thinner.

I think a real neat trick would be to pour the camp stove fuel on your chain, light it and then ride in the dark...

Just sayin'

Steve

michael white
05-04-2008, 10:14 AM
I think a real neat trick would be to pour the camp stove fuel on your chain, light it and then ride in the dark...

Just sayin'

Steve

that always impresses. try it when shooting fire-arrows at the pale faces; it makes them think you're on peyote.

Charles M
05-04-2008, 01:39 PM

I have a quart of Mobile 1 and a quart of Duralube (have had for a looong time)...

I just alternate between the two and it's given me the best chain and sprocket durability I think I've ever had...

gasman
05-04-2008, 07:20 PM

Really ?? white gas ??

Dave
05-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Really ?? white gas ??

Yes, really. I will say that this mix is more flammable than a mineral spirits mix. Mineral spirits burns quite well by itself and even works like charcoal lighter fluid in a pinch. Once mixed with enough oil however, it won't burn if you drop a match in it, but the naptha and oil mix will. Obviously not as safe, but it does dry out better.

You'll find that a lot of common products for home and automotive use are quite flammable, if you read the label. This includes just about any spray lube, like WD-40 and certainly hairspray. Those spray cans will make great flame throwers is a match is held in front of the spray. Automotive spray degreasers for brakes parts or bearings are really flammable.

El Chaba
05-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Those spray cans will make great flame throwers is a match is held in front of the spray.

Quite handy in the event that you find yourself working as an agent and your enemy turns a viper loose in your hotel room while you are shaving with a lit cigar in your mouth....

gasman
05-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Yes, really. I will say that this mix is more flammable than a mineral spirits mix. Mineral spirits burns quite well by itself and even works like charcoal lighter fluid in a pinch. Once mixed with enough oil however, it won't burn if you drop a match in it, but the naptha and oil mix will. Obviously not as safe, but it does dry out better.
You'll find that a lot of common products for home and automotive use are quite flammable, if you read the label. This includes just about any spray lube, like WD-40 and certainly hairspray. Those spray cans will make great flame throwers is a match is held in front of the spray. Automotive spray degreasers for brakes parts or bearings are really flammable.

Thanks for the tip. I will use up my quart of mineral spirit mix and now I know my white gas stash will never go to waste.

I think finding flammable sprays is genetic-on the Y chromosome. I have it and so does my son.

Acotts
05-05-2008, 11:32 AM

+1 on the WD-40 flame thrower. i swear, the stuff smells like cologne.

As for the bike, I just rub a stick of butter on the cassette every other month and the bike is smooth as silk.

gasman
05-05-2008, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=Acotts

As for the bike, I just rub a stick of butter on the cassette every other month and the bike is smooth as silk.[/QUOTE]

I heard you had a tasty bike.

Acotts
05-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I use "Bacon" instead of Phil Wood to grease my components, and Government Cheese instead of Locktight.