PDA

View Full Version : KLEIN Pressed-in BB

Jeff N.
05-03-2008, 09:16 AM
I got an early Klein Quantum with the pressed-in, square-taper bottom bracket (what were they thinking?). Anyone know if that BB can be removed and the shell threaded to take a regular screw-in type BB? Can it be done, and if so, who can do it? Jeff N.

don'TreadOnMe
05-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Ideally you'd find an older Mavic 610 or 616 bb, and get the bb shell cut for the chamfered edges of the aforementioned bb.
I did multiple times back in my full-time shoprat days.
Heck, you might be able to find a Klein-literate shop w/the correct bb tools, and have NOS Klein bearings/spindle installed.

Good luck!

Jeff N.
05-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Ideally you'd find an older Mavic 610 or 616 bb, and get the bb shell cut for the chamfered edges of the aforementioned bb.
I did multiple times back in my full-time shoprat days.
Heck, you might be able to find a Klein-literate shop w/the correct bb tools, and have NOS Klein bearings/spindle installed.

Good luck!But I want it threaded for a MODREN BB(if it can even be done...), like DA7800. I don't want to be stuck with the square taper arrangement, and BB rebuild is a headache at best. Jeff N.

sbornia
05-03-2008, 10:32 AM
I wonder if Phil Wood can help? I know people with older Fat Chance bikes have gotten replacement parts for their press-in BBs.

PacNW2Ford
05-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Might be hard to find, but here's a solution:

http://www.reset-racing.com/

PacNW2Ford
05-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Go to the "Reset Racing" page for "Bottom Brackets Hollowtech II & Special Kits", "for Klein, Storck and Cannondale"

Ken Robb
05-03-2008, 12:31 PM
there was a shop on the east side of the rr tracks in Leucadia that was a big dealer of Klein bikes. If they are still there I'll bet their tech would be able to help with this. OTOH Kevin, owner of California Bicycles on LJ Blvd., is the best tech I have ever seen at work and I'm sure he would have a solution as well.

PacNW2Ford
05-03-2008, 01:44 PM
I got an early Klein Quantum with the pressed-in, square-taper bottom bracket (what were they thinking?). Anyone know if that BB can be removed and the shell threaded to take a regular screw-in type BB? Can it be done, and if so, who can do it? Jeff N.

See pages 75-76 of the April 21, 2008 VeloNews for information on why Klein went down this road.

Brian Smith
05-03-2008, 03:43 PM
You can have the Klein's bottom bracket threaded for Italian threaded bottom brackets. Most responsible bike techs won't want to do it unless you release them from all liability in case they fudge it.

Here's one way to view it, and the way that I saw it when I threaded that frame for a customer:
The frame is not satisfactory for usage in it's present state, so it can only either get better or dramatically less satisfactory.

This was a mountain bike for a tall, powerful, mechanically adept customer desiring stout cranks longer than 175mm. The stock bearing system was good for 4 months before requiring him to have me (or someone else) replace his bearings. He wanted something more durable that he could also replace himself. It worked out to be a worthwhile expenditure.

If the first part of that statement is true for you, then you've got nothing to lose.

Jeff N.
05-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Might be hard to find, but here's a solution:

http://www.reset-racing.com/It's all written in German. I took a few years of it in High School, but can barely remember how to ask for a Becks now.

PacNW2Ford
05-03-2008, 07:44 PM
D'ah. There was a write up in Australian on CyclingNews.com. I'll see if I can find the link.

PacNW2Ford
05-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Here it is:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/shows/eurobike07/?id=results/eurobike074

Jeff N.
05-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Here it is:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/shows/eurobike07/?id=results/eurobike074Thanks, but I didn't notice anything stated in the article that allows for standard threaded BB's for Kleins...just 'Dales.

Jeff N.
05-03-2008, 07:55 PM
You can have the Klein's bottom bracket threaded for Italian threaded bottom brackets. Most responsible bike techs won't want to do it unless you release them from all liability in case they fudge it.

Here's one way to view it, and the way that I saw it when I threaded that frame for a customer:
The frame is not satisfactory for usage in it's present state, so it can only either get better or dramatically less satisfactory.

This was a mountain bike for a tall, powerful, mechanically adept customer desiring stout cranks longer than 175mm. The stock bearing system was good for 4 months before requiring him to have me (or someone else) replace his bearings. He wanted something more durable that he could also replace himself. It worked out to be a worthwhile expenditure.

If the first part of that statement is true for you, then you've got nothing to lose.Which bike tech? Is there someone you have in mind?

junior2189
05-03-2008, 07:55 PM
if you would like to use a shimano or fsa here is the link to the bb from phil.
phill wood (http://www.philwood.com/BB-Outboard%20Set.htm)
BBCGI Press Fit 35mm I.D. Shells - Stainless Steel Available for older press fit Bottom Bracket Shells (Klein, etc)

JUNIOR

PacNW2Ford
05-03-2008, 08:03 PM
That looks very promising.

Jeff N.
05-03-2008, 08:50 PM
if you would like to use a shimano or fsa here is the link to the bb from phil.
phill wood (http://www.philwood.com/BB-Outboard%20Set.htm)
BBCGI Press Fit 35mm I.D. Shells - Stainless Steel Available for older press fit Bottom Bracket Shells (Klein, etc)

JUNIORYes! I think that'd do the trick without needing to thread the shell! It's a 73mm shell width. It says they're available for that width. I'll call 'em first thing Monday AM. Thanks, Jr.! Jeff N.

plugkev
03-24-2012, 09:57 PM
So glad this was here, l was so rattled yesterday when l measured the bb shell of my old Quantum roughly at 73mm and 34mm dia

What were they thinking was my sentiment exactly

So glad to hear it can be threaded

If the first part of that statement is true for you, then you've got nothing to lose.

jpw
03-25-2012, 04:53 AM

I had one of those. The bb was a bitch, and the frame a body beater.

Mattbotak
03-25-2012, 05:26 PM

Check out Leucadia Bikes. Shop has been working with Klein from the 80's and is extremely knowledgeable. I forget the owners name but he is always very helpful.

Jeff N.
03-25-2012, 05:41 PM
This is quite an old thread. I wound up getting a P. Wood pressed-in external BB, but it resulted in a BB that was way too wide to accommodate a Shimano crankset. Sold the frame on E-Bay. Even made a few bucks. Jeff N.

Kontact
12-26-2017, 02:33 PM
This is quite an old thread. I wound up getting a P. Wood pressed-in external BB, but it resulted in a BB that was way too wide to accommodate a Shimano crankset. Sold the frame on E-Bay. Even made a few bucks. Jeff N.

I realize this is an old thread, but since folks are supposed to use the search feature:

Later 94-96 Klein road bikes had 72mm BB shells, which is probably why it didn't work for Jeff. You'd need to face the shell down to 68mm.

DRietz
12-26-2017, 03:39 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but since folks are supposed to use the search feature:

Later 94-96 Klein road bikes had 72mm BB shells, which is probably why it didn't work for Jeff. You'd need to face the shell down to 68mm.

Which isn’t really “facing,” I’d argue - that’s a material amount more along the lines of milling.

mcteague
12-26-2017, 05:04 PM
It's all written in Nazi. I took a few years of it in High School, but can barely remember how to ask for a Becks now.

German equals Nazi? Really? :mad:

Tim

Jeff N.
12-26-2017, 06:35 PM
Which isn’t really “facing,” I’d argue - that’s a material amount more along the lines of milling.No room for that...you'd run into the chain stays before you got to 68mm.

oliver1850
12-26-2017, 08:52 PM
I measured my '96? Klein shell at somewhere between 75 and 76 mm. Had no idea it was that wide. Makes me wonder if the real reason for the pressed in BBs wasn't to allow for more weld area on the shell, rather than whatever benefits of pressed in bearings were stated in the catalog.

Jeff N.
12-26-2017, 09:20 PM
I measured my '96? Klein shell at somewhere between 75 and 76 mm. Had no idea it was that wide. Makes me wonder if the real reason for the pressed in BBs wasn't to allow for more weld area on the shell, rather than whatever benefits of pressed in bearings were stated in the catalog.I believe they switched to 68/English threaded starting in '97...or so I was told.

oliver1850
12-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Not sure when production left Chehalis, but perhaps the shell changed then.

Kontact
12-26-2017, 11:08 PM
Which isn’t really “facing,” I’d argue - that’s a material amount more along the lines of milling.

You can call it whatever you like. But you're probably going to be doing it with the facing tool.