PDA

View Full Version : Kieth A, Oh No!! Not Again!!

Bill Bove
09-23-2004, 05:07 AM
Looks like you're in for another!!! Jeanne is predicted to make landfall as early as Saturday, somewhere around Vero or Sebastion. If you're coming back down here to ride it out bring your bike, we'll go for a ride. If you can't bring your own bike, I have a 52 and a 54 you use. Call me at 547-1396. Good Luck.

Kevin
09-23-2004, 05:42 AM
I need to check the satelite images, I am convinced that Florida must have a target on it. Good luck guys.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
09-23-2004, 07:14 AM
. . . assuming you are riding your rain bike, does this also not mean that if you time things juuuust right, you could do the world’s fastest out-and-back with 140mph tailwind the whole way?

Hmmm . . . might just be worth getting wet! . . . :rolleyes: ;)

BBDave

Tom
09-23-2004, 08:18 AM
I'm watching the weather channel and they go 'Tropical Depression Ivan', pointing at Alabama and I go "Huh? Did I fall through the wormhole again? Man, I hate it when that happens!"

Keith A
09-23-2004, 10:28 AM
In the words of Charley Brown....ARRRGH!!!

I can't believe this thing is pointed right at us again. If Jeanne hits at 100+ mph winds, I think the damage is going to be significant due to the number of homes & buildings that already have been damaged from Frances. If I had to guess, I would say that about 1/2 the homes in Brevard county have some type of roof damage (including minimal things such as missing a few shingles), but there are probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the houses that have tarps on the roofs to keep the water out. Just think how long those tarps are going to stay up once the hurricane comes through.

I just cancelled the Boy Scout fund raising activity that was supposed to take place this Friday and Saturday. The lines at the gas stations are already starting to form. I decided to take off my plywood last Saturday and stored this away :crap: My kids have missed seven days of school already this year and some counties in Florida, the students have missed 15 days of school because of hurricanes.

I have been riding again, but this morning when I went to do intervals over the Melbourne Causeway, I found that the park that I ride though when coming back west is still a wreck. The boardwalk along the river was destroyed and there is still debris everywhere. They just have it blocked off so you can't get in and haven't even attempted to clean it up yet. There are still many boats that are damaged sitting along the banks of the intercoastal river, I noticed one today that you could just see the mast sticking out of the water about 100 feet offshore.

Would somebody please take the bull’s-eye off the state of Florida?

BTW, Ivan is now up to 60 mph and is taking aim on Louisiana & Texas -- will this storm ever die?

Keith A
09-23-2004, 10:34 AM
[snip] If you're coming back down here to ride it out bring your bike, we'll go for a ride. If you can't bring your own bike, I have a 52 and a 54 you use. Call me at 547-1396. Good Luck.

Bill, thanks for the offer but I don't think I'm going to head south this time. The current track has it coming ashore south of us, so we may just ride it out at home. But as we all know, these predictions can change dramatically. Just look at the current path (http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200411.html) that Jeanne has already taken, this storm does NOT seem to know where it is going.

BTW, did you realize that Jeanne has already killed more than 1,070 people in Haiti and the death toll could reach 2,000?

Fuzzybird
09-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Hey Keith,

Good luck this weekend. I hope she shifts a bit to spare Melbourne but it's not looking good. Don't feel bad about taking down your boards, my friends in Mims talked me into helping them take theirs down Tuesday. So you can guess what I'll be doing Saturday morning!!!!

Hey look at it this way, when we do have our Tour de Clermont ride this winter, we will have a kinds of hurricane stories for our visiting snowbirds!

Be safe!

Greg

tad3
09-23-2004, 02:03 PM
There is so much debris still on the Brevard County roads from Hurricane Francis that three of the four of us riding along A1A from Spessard Holland to Vero Beach had punctures.
tad3, boarding up again, and hoping the soggy ground will hold the tree roots in Melbourne, FL

Keith A
09-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Friday 11:00am update...check out the 8am Sunday location -- that's my house :(
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT11/refresh/AL1104W5%2BGIF/170313W5.gif

Don
09-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Keith,

Thanks for the graphics. We've laid in a supply of "D" batteries and will at least have contact with the outside world. In our community of some 1,700 homes, we lost 1,500 trees. Certainly hope not too much more damage comes this way.

To all of you in the storm's path, get that last ride in tomorrow and let's keep our fingers crossed for better times ahead!

Don

davep
09-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Don,

Its supposed to start blowing 20 - 25 knots tonight (approx 30mph) and tropical storm force (40 - 73 mph) tomorrow. :crap: I would try to get a ride in today :)

Climb01742
09-24-2004, 12:33 PM
you don't supoose all these hurricanes have anything to do with those voting hijinks back in 2000 do you? naw, couldn't be...

pale scotsman
09-24-2004, 02:46 PM
you don't supoose all these hurricanes have anything to do with those voting hijinks back in 2000 do you? naw, couldn't be...

Sir Climb - Down here in the bible belt some think it's because of gay day at disney. Seriously...

Bill Bove
09-24-2004, 02:55 PM
Yeah, it's a neo-con plot. "If we can't win the state, we steal the state, oops we did that last time. We can't pull that off twice, ah just nuke 'em".

Michael Moore has enterd my brain through a portal on the 12 1/2th floor of Exxon building. Help me!!!!

Ozz
09-24-2004, 03:04 PM
Climb,

You were reading my mind! I was just chuckling to myself this morning about that.

Election year....4 Hurricanes....Wrath of God? I think fair warning has been given! ;)

More seriously, enough is enough, no matter who you vote for. Stay safe.

Carlo
09-24-2004, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=Ozz]Climb,

You were reading my mind! I was just chuckling to myself this morning about that.

Election year....4 Hurricanes....Wrath of God? I think fair warning has been given! ;)

Yeah, but what's the message he's sending? "Make sure you really vote for "W" this time?" Actually, I'm hoping that folks get the message about global warming when this one hits Rush Limbaughs house on Palm Beach.
(Not that I'd wish that on anybody -- not even Rush.)

Carlo
(who boarded up and shuttered his three story Victorian in New Orleans -- then dodged the Ivan bullet anyway). :crap: