PDA

View Full Version : Nice quality multi-tool

bnewt07
05-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Is it only me that tends to find these multi-tools all either corrode (Crank Bros) or just fall apart (Toppeak)?

I'd like to but one as a gift for a friend that is a more satisfyingly well-engineeered and durable. Does anyone make something a bit better than the norm?

Mud
05-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Twelve years ago I bought a Ritchey Multi Tool that I still have. Basically it is a forged one piece unit except at the end is a chain tool. An allen wrench can work the chain tool and has a flat screwdriver at one end. I use a rubber band to hold the allen wronch to the body. It might weigh 50 grams.

Ritchey makes a multi tool that does not have the wrench slots or chain tool but has the allen keys. Like mine it weighs next to nothing. Since on the bike stuff is usually minor I never find that an Alien or the like really helps anyway. And multi tools are usually too awkward and fragile for long term use on the bench.

bobscott
05-02-2008, 07:32 AM
I have one of the Park I Beams (IB-1) and although I haven't used it a great deal, the quality seems very good.
bobscott

harlond
05-02-2008, 07:38 AM
I have no idea of the quality of the Soma ones, but with the wood, they at least look neat.

http://www.somafab.com/woodie11.html

dwightskin
05-02-2008, 07:59 AM
You are better off with a mini-tool kit like Park Tool PPM-3.

Or just getting individual tools for the stuff you need. A bunch of individual Ball End hex wrench wrapped in a rubber band will weight less than the multi-tool.

mcteague
05-02-2008, 10:25 AM
I still using an ancient Blackburn tool.

Tim McTeague

chuckred
05-02-2008, 10:50 AM
I still using an ancient Blackburn tool.

Tim McTeague

Light, and it works... and seems to last.

Kevan
05-02-2008, 11:37 AM
gets a fair amount of regular use I think you can expect it to eventually lose its charm. Has happened to me too.

WickedWheels
05-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I sell a bunch of different multi tools. This brand is very new and very impressive. Here's the link to the site:

www.lezyne.com

I posted a pic of the carbon one, but the pic isn't very accurate. It actually has aluminum reinforcing the carbon (if you want a pic of mine I can post it later).

The polished aluminum ones are real sharp and include a spoke wrench that does Mavic wheels (built into the chain tool).

fierte_poser
05-02-2008, 01:48 PM
I sell a bunch of different multi tools. This brand is very new and very impressive. Here's the link to the site:

www.lezyne.com

I posted a pic of the carbon one, but the pic isn't very accurate. It actually has aluminum reinforcing the carbon (if you want a pic of mine I can post it later).

The polished aluminum ones are real sharp and include a spoke wrench that does Mavic wheels (built into the chain tool).

thirtypercentmo

benb
05-02-2008, 02:09 PM
I have a pedros one that has gone a year so far with no signs of corrosion.. might be worth a shot, it's a nice tool.

It appears to be anodized/coated/whatever with the same stuff my Pedro's allen wrenches are finished with. Those are 8 years old and look almost brand new.. probably my favorite tool and I have quite a few.

WickedWheels
05-02-2008, 02:16 PM
thirtypercentmo

Hey, what's that supposed to mean...

I was only saying that out of all the different brands that I sell (Park, Pedros, Topeak, etc) this brand impressed me the most. I'm getting rid of my Topeak Alien 2 (that I used for years) at Trexlertown this weekend for one of these.

fierte_poser
05-02-2008, 04:44 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=520381&postcount=1

It was a joke related to the above post. Are you using the serotta forum as a way to self-promote and thus make money? If so, please kindly put 30 percent of your proceeds in a pillowcase and drop it in the mailbox at 112th and Broadway. Ben will pick it up.

maunahaole
05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
+1 on the pedro's tool. I got it off of nashbar for $6 or some ridiculously small amount a while back. It looks a lot like that expensive looking carbon fiber bit above, but it includes two tire levers as well. The tire levers worked well enough to pry a PR2 off of a campy rim.

stevep
05-02-2008, 05:41 PM
these things are useful for what they are...
once in a great while you might want to tighten something on the road.
the brands cited are excellent quality in this scheme and both likely have lifetime warranties.
if you use a multi tool all the time it will wear out. its as if you use the jack in yr car at a tire shop...
you'll kill the thing in 1/2 a day... but it works fine 2 times in the life of the car.

again, the brands cited are good quality with excellnt warranties.
also bet on it... all of these tools are made by probably 2 tool companies in taiwan now and 1 or 2 in china.

steve575
05-02-2008, 06:34 PM
these things are useful for what they are...
once in a great while you might want to tighten something on the road.
the brands cited are excellent quality in this scheme and both likely have lifetime warranties.
if you use a multi tool all the time it will wear out. its as if you use the jack in yr car at a tire shop...
you'll kill the thing in 1/2 a day... but it works fine 2 times in the life of the car.
again, the brands cited are good quality with excellnt warranties.
also bet on it... all of these tools are made by probably 2 tool companies in taiwan now and 1 or 2 in china.

excellent point. use real tools for building and maintenance.

Fixed
05-02-2008, 07:52 PM
http://www.somafab.com/woodies.html
i have this

i dig soma
cheers

david
05-02-2008, 10:21 PM
i like this thing for back pockets.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=26609

Blue Jays
05-02-2008, 11:54 PM
WickedWheels, the new Lezyne products have been arriving at the bicycle shop where I purchase my gear.
Definitely very cool, high-quality stuff. The carbon fiber, aluminum, stainless, & titanium multi-tools are pretty slick.
Thanks for posting. :beer:

bnewt07
05-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm buying agift for soemone who like a bit of a gizmo. For me I am happy with my nice proper workshop tools and a multi-tool that is for emergencies only. I built a car in my garage so I know the benefits of good tools...

SimonC
05-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I've got one of the S-Works EMT tools (magnesium side plates, Ti bolts) - it's nice and light and contains most of the stuff you need for an emergency.

Bigger than that, I've had luck with the Topeak Alien, and the new one they sell with a mini ratchet driver looks pretty sweet.