PDA

View Full Version : Please Help w/ Phil Wood BB Install x 2

ispy
05-02-2008, 02:48 AM
I finally sprang for some Phil Wood B(ling)B(ling). I've never installed them before and would really appreciate some real-world wisdom to help me install them in the following:

1. Steel Frame - This is my '68 Schwinn Paramount, originally meant to be a cheapo project but... I sprayed the frame with Frame Saver but the Phil instructions say to degrease the BB threads first... so how do you guys do this w/o undoing the Frame Saver coating inside the BB?

2. Ti Frame - My first (and probably only) ti frame, a Serotta even! (will post photos after I do it justice). So as you can guess I've never used anti-seize, have always greased BB threads instead. The Phil BB comes with its own locking compound... how does this work with anti-seize? Do I apply both? Or just one?

I've tried calling Phil but have gotten only busy signal this week :confused: very unlike them.

Oh and the rings are steel in both cases.

Thanks in advance!

Peter P.
05-02-2008, 06:15 AM
1. Spray WD-40 on a rag and wipe the BB threads clean. Unfortunately, after the Frame Saver has had a chance to set up, it makes removing it more of a chore, but keep working at it.

Don't worry about using grease in the BB threads vs. Frame Saver. Grease will provide the same protection, just be sure to remove and inspect your BB annually even though your BB is maintenance free, and reapply a layer of grease.

2. As for the Ti frame, apply anti-seize to the BB threads and wrap teflon tape around the Phil Wood rings, ignoring the presence of the loctite. The addition of teflon tape helps prevent creaking, which seems to be more common in Ti and Al materials. You shouldn't have a problem with the lockrings unscrewing by themselves which would necessitate the use of loctite. Then again, the loctite may still be able to perform its duties even under the teflon tape, which would be a good thing.

ergott
05-02-2008, 06:44 AM
If the BB doesn't thread into the steel bike easily, I would retap the threads to get any excess framesaver out of the bb threads. Then use anti-seize compound as you would with any threads.

regularguy412
05-02-2008, 06:48 AM
1. Spray WD-40 on a rag and wipe the BB threads clean. Unfortunately, after the Frame Saver has had a chance to set up, it makes removing it more of a chore, but keep working at it.

Don't worry about using grease in the BB threads vs. Frame Saver. Grease will provide the same protection, just be sure to remove and inspect your BB annually even though your BB is maintenance free, and reapply a layer of grease.

2. As for the Ti frame, apply anti-seize to the BB threads and wrap teflon tape around the Phil Wood rings, ignoring the presence of the loctite. The addition of teflon tape helps prevent creaking, which seems to be more common in Ti and Al materials. You shouldn't have a problem with the lockrings unscrewing by themselves which would necessitate the use of loctite. Then again, the loctite may still be able to perform its duties even under the teflon tape, which would be a good thing.

+1 on all this

I currently have 2 Phil BBs. One is over 10 years old and has been rebuilt after being installed in my CSI steel frame. The other is two years old and has been in my TG for a six months and in my fixie for three months before that.

I've never used Loctite on either set of the mounting rings at any time. The anti-seize or grease on the BB shell threads will protect the steel .

You'll be very happy with the Phil BB's performance. :D:D

Mike in AR :beer:

R2D2
05-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Depends on the rings you are using.
The alloy rings are impregnated with Teflon and won't gall.
Steel in aluminum has a tendency to gall so alloy would be a better choice.
Steel/Ti not too much to worry about.
To clean threads use acetone and a rag.
Follow Phil directions and just use the locking compound they supply.
In fact the instructions stress that point.