PDA

View Full Version : Weeny or not?

TMB
05-01-2008, 08:57 PM
OK,

I have signed up to do the Axel Merckx Climbing CAmp in 2 weeks. This in spite of no-where near enough miles in my legs this year and far too much winter fat still around my middle ............

I guess this will kick start my season though.

I have a problem though, my garage has an overwhelming preponderance of Merckx bikes, compared to others.

What do I show up for the camp with? A Merckx bike? Is that just way too weenish?

I could go with the De Rosa, but it's in Molteni Orange .......................

What do I do?

Merckx?

De Rosa?

something else?

rustychisel
05-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Oh, c'mon. Buy another bike. But I do say a Team SC is a wonderful machine.

zmudshark
05-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Ride the De Rosa!

flux
05-01-2008, 09:38 PM
ride the bike you like to climb on.

good luck.

maunahaole
05-01-2008, 09:39 PM
MX Leader - as it is badass and shows that you mean business.

nobrakes
05-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Kill everybody with your WalMart special. Prove you got the legs.

TMB
05-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Kill everybody with your WalMart special. Prove you got the legs.

The 1963 Claud Butler with 5 speeds and down tube shifters??

nobrakes
05-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Do it on your daughters' "Hello Kitty" bike and really impress them! Save Claud for really tough stuff. Actually, my harmless sarcasm is masking how envious I am that you get to go to the camp! Sounds like a hot deal.

Jack Brunk
05-01-2008, 10:51 PM
ride the bike you like to climb on.

good luck.
Flux is a genius.

DarrenCT
05-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Flux is a genius.

exactly. is he a pro or something?

TMB
05-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Flux is a genius.

Makes way too much sense though.

I have this thing about showing with a bike with "that" name on it ........

Then proving myself totally unworthy.

justinf
05-01-2008, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't worry about it man. Just ride 6 days a week these couple weeks, then have some fun, then write about it for us.

Lou da Emu
05-01-2008, 11:21 PM
don't matter what bike you ride.
you are going

being on a relevant bike is way different than wearing the band t-shirt to the concert.

inGobwetrust
05-01-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm a little confused here. Are you ashamed of your bikes? If you can't ride them any where then why do you have them? Are you really that concerned with what some of the other campers might think? This is an adult camp, right? Grow a set and ride the one you feel like.

BoulderGeek
05-02-2008, 12:00 AM
This is an adult camp, right? Grow a set and ride the one you feel like.

+12

barry1021
05-02-2008, 05:07 AM
Best Case: The frame color will match any color of puke dripping off of it.
Not so best case: The color will be a nice contrast to your pale lifeless body lying next to it in the middle of day two. Zmud and I are already making arrangements to come up and clean out the garage after the funeral. Does Gerry know? Oh she suggested it? Hmmmm....

HA HA I am just kidding. I think.

b21

TMB
05-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Well, I don't remember saying I was ashamed of my bikes.

I am, however, ashamed of my level of fitness for this late in the year. I have no doubt I will embarrass myself badly.

I was wondering, and looking for thoughts from people, on the "optics" of showing up for a camp on a Merckx - Stalkerish?

I guess I really don't have a lot of choice in the matter though, so Merckx it will be.

Barry,

you and zMud will have to corrdinate with Mrs. TMB on the clean-out. She said it will take her a couple of weeks to arrange the auction!

Such faith.

Dave B
05-02-2008, 09:37 AM
I doubt many pro riders are goign to show up at Axel's camp. My guess is that he and his dad will be the best riders there. Apparantly his dad won a race or two, so I imagine they are used to having people think they are special.

I think a bike they make would be just fine. Get it autographed.

And what flux said too.

Bob Ross
05-02-2008, 09:42 AM
I have this thing about showing with a bike with "that" name on it ........

Reminds me of one of the first club rides I went on when I joined the New York Cycle Club: some kid showed up on a Merckx bike, wearing a Merckx jersey and Merckx shorts. The ride leader, a sweet little old lady who could barely sustain 14mph, referred to this kid as "Eddie" for the entire ride.

michael white
05-02-2008, 10:10 AM

I am, however, ashamed of my level of fitness for this late in the year. I have no doubt I will embarrass myself badly.

Such faith.

any unemployed adolescent can get in shape. Show up fat and finish last, like you actually have a life. It's a good thing.

TMB
05-02-2008, 10:26 AM
any unemployed adolescent can get in shape. Show up fat and finish last, like you actually have a life. It's a good thing.

Best advice so far.

Thank you.

bigbill
05-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Ride the MX Leader. Even though it is heavy, it was always my favorite climbing bike because of how it felt on descents. I will never be a good climber, but I can descend like a cruise missile.

If I was able to take the time off to go, I would build up my MXL for the trip. I made a trip to the LBS yesterday to buy some small parts (cables, etc) to build it up this week. I got a Record 9 group from ATP Junkie along to use along with a grammo stem and eubios bars. All I need now is a new Regal saddle to have everything. Oh ya, I need to find my threaded headset spacers too. The LBS probably has some.

barry1021
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
I doubt many pro riders are goign to show up at Axel's camp. My guess is that he and his dad will be the best riders there. Apparantly his dad won a race or two, so I imagine they are used to having people think they are special.

I think a bike they make would be just fine. Get it autographed.

And what flux said too.

Mr. Prez has a good idea. Get it signed and clearcoated if Dad is around. Then give it to me.

zmudshark
05-02-2008, 10:46 AM

I was wondering, and looking for thoughts from people, on the "optics" of showing up for a camp on a Merckx - Stalkerish?

I guess I really don't have a lot of choice in the matter though, so Merckx it will be.

Barry,

you and zMud will have to corrdinate with Mrs. TMB on the clean-out. She said it will take her a couple of weeks to arrange the auction!

Such faith.
I still say show up on the Molteni De Rosa, with the DT shifters. Have Eddy autograph that. Wear one of your beer jerseys, that can be your excuse. :banana:

I've seen how you can climb, I don't think you'll have any problems, hope the weather cooperates.

I can hardly wait for the report!