PDA

View Full Version : Half Wheeling

saab2000
05-01-2008, 06:41 PM
I finally figured out why my main riding buddy here in Grand Rapids is hard to ride with - he is constantly half-wheeling. It is impossible to 'just ride along' with him. He must push it on every single rise in the road. And subconsciously if he feels me pullling ahead he must raise me a penny, so to speak. We are basically good riding partners, but folks, this is an annoying habit!

PS - 60 miles on the CIII today. Very nice day to ride! About 60-63 degrees fahrenheit and enough clouds to avoid the sunburn. And decent legs to boot. :banana:

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 06:43 PM
My brother and I do this to each other. We're competitive a-holes.

malcolm
05-01-2008, 06:43 PM
I would rather have an enema than ride with someone constantly half wheeling. Not really, but I do find it annoying.

saab2000
05-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I would rather have an enema than ride with someone constantly half wheeling. Not really, but I do find it annoying.
hehehe..... he said enema.

flux
05-01-2008, 06:46 PM
there is nothing worse in life than a half wheeler.

flux

stevep
05-01-2008, 06:47 PM
grab him by the shirt, pull him back until the wheels are even.
do it again
do it again
do it and hold on for awhile
repeat as necessary
thats rookie bullshiit

im serious

Lifelover
05-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't race and I'm sorry :)
but what exactly is half wheeling?

stevep
05-01-2008, 07:01 PM

on a ride one guy edges ahead of the other guy...instead of riding next to him... sort of nudging him to go faster than he wants
highly annoying and much disrespected.

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 07:04 PM
SteveP, what if it's your MP brother? Or what if the guy you are riding with is really slow like Chrisroph?

flux
05-01-2008, 07:05 PM
SteveP, what if it's your MP brother? Or what if the guy you are riding with is really slow like Chrisroph?

crash him. tough love.

J.Greene
05-01-2008, 07:07 PM

If you don't know you probably do it.

JG

saab2000
05-01-2008, 07:12 PM
If you don't know you probably do it.

JG

He doesn't. I checked when I was in Virginia Beach. Greg, now you know why I went there. I do half wheel checks for the forum. You passed. :beer:

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 07:13 PM
crash him. tough love.

I usually just try to drop him, but I try that when I get back to Boston.

flux
05-01-2008, 07:14 PM
I usually just try to drop him, but I try that when I get back to Boston.

you will drop him. much easier than going hard. just... BAM. piece of cake. us pro's do this all the time.

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 07:14 PM
you will drop him. much easier than going hard. just... BAM. piece of cake. us pro's do this all the time.

For reals? No wonder I just stick to cross.

saab2000
05-01-2008, 07:23 PM

Us ex-kindapros used to do it all the time. Now it ain't as easy as it used to be. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I coulda dropped this half wheeler like a hot rock. The reality of the rest of the folks sucks.

scrooge
05-01-2008, 07:26 PM
A pal I MTB with just started road riding--he half wheels all the time, and he can't keep a constant pace, or draft in a decent and orderly fashion, or ...

How do you make these kids learn?

stevep
05-01-2008, 07:45 PM
A pal I MTB with just started road riding--he half wheels all the time, and he can't keep a constant pace, or draft in a decent and orderly fashion, or ...

do it again
do it again
repeat as necessary
thats rookie bullshiit

flux
05-01-2008, 07:52 PM

crash them. i'm serious. works great.

stevep
05-01-2008, 07:54 PM
the ultimate way to get revenge on a half wheeler is locally practiced.
the use of a local pro to half wheel the guy back..
fun to watch i guarantee and you are guaranteed a show cause the guy will always blow huge chunks... but learn a good lesson...
speed gradually increased... 23-24-25+++ mph... breathing gets harder.
its fun unless its you...if its you you usually get the drift.
ask flux. good medicine

flux
05-01-2008, 07:59 PM
the ultimate way to get revenge on a half wheeler is locally practiced.
the use of a local pro to half wheel the guy back..
fun to watch i guarantee and you are guaranteed a show cause the guy will always blow huge chunks... but learn a good lesson...
speed gradually increased... 23-24-25+++ mph... breathing gets harder.
its fun unless its you...if its you you usually get the drift.
ask flux. good medicine

my first year on saeco i was just so excited to be on the team and going for it, i was half-wheeling everyone at training camp in the double pace lines. i was a meathead and simply didn't know any better. neo-pro stuff.

one day mario rode next to me in the double pace line and when it was our turn at the front we starting going fast, then faster, then... 'holy **** this is fast'. i looked behind me and everyone was in their drops breathing hard. mario then clicked it down two gears and while still in the saddle sprinted away at a speed that i couldn't believe and with a smoothness that was just amazing.

we never saw mario again that day. he just kept going. and i never half wheeled again.

true story.

*by mario i am referring to mario cipollini

e-RICHIE
05-01-2008, 08:01 PM
my first year on saeco i was just so excited to be on the team and going for it, i was half-wheeling everyone at training camp in the double pace lines.

one day mario rode next to me in the double pace line next to me and when it was our turn at the front we starting going fast, then faster, then... 'holy **** this is fast'. i looked behind me and everyone was in there drops breathing hard. mario then clicked it down two gears and while still in the saddle sprinted away at a speed that i couldn't believe and with a smoothness that was just amazing.

we never saw mario again that day. he just kept going. and i never half wheeled again.

true story.

you cannot find chestnuts like that anywhere else on the internet atmo.
this place rocksmo.

AgilisMerlin
05-01-2008, 08:03 PM
do it again
do it again
repeat as necessary
thats rookie bullshiit

im serious

holy shiyt that is funny..........steve..........but to the point :D

saab2000
05-01-2008, 08:04 PM
this place rocksmo.

Word. When Mario Cipollini rides folks off his wheel you know he's the real deal.

Thanks for the story!

roman meal
05-01-2008, 08:19 PM
No budget but thanks for the opportunity. Maybe in the future.

dbrk
05-01-2008, 08:24 PM
I usually ride alone and wouldn't belong to any clubs that would have me but the one fella' I do ride with pretty regularly once summer comes is a smart, interesting guy with whom I disagree on almost every emotional issue, from politics to religion. Whenever he brings up such topics I half-wheel him until he can't breathe ---and thank goodness he'll never be able to keep up. He's usually so animated by the subject that he doesn't notice I rode him backwards. Otherwise, I say, half-wheelin' is loathsome and a crime punishable by flux.

dbrk

cadence231
05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Freidman gets Frenched on for about 5 days.
Drops out on a stage.
Director of team (old Belgian ex pro) pulls a bike off the team car.
Director is in casual dress with dress shoes.
It is cold, windy and raining.
Director makes Freidman ride back to hotel as said director halfwheels Friedman and deiegrates him verbally the whole way.
"You are fat."
"Must eat broth!"

toaster
05-01-2008, 08:42 PM
What's really annoying is the guy who does this and then pretends to have a conversation with you at the same time he's half-wheeling you.

He ignorant enough not to know he's half-wheeling you and smart-assed enough to know he's being an real a-hole.

Fixed
05-01-2008, 09:00 PM
do it again
do it again
repeat as necessary
thats rookie bullshiit

bro that is the way i learned the same cat use to like to bump me and crowd me off the road
thanks brian
cheers

jhcakilmer
05-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Hey Musgrave, do you think you, Wagner, or I know anything about this.....heck, I don't think we've ever had a leisurely ride together, have we.......damn testosterone..... ;)

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 09:13 PM
this place rocksmo.

Imho that was a pearl!

vaxn8r
05-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I finally figured out why my main riding buddy here in Grand Rapids is hard to ride with - he is constantly half-wheeling. It is impossible to 'just ride along' with him. He must push it on every single rise in the road. And subconsciously if he feels me pullling ahead he must raise me a penny, so to speak. We are basically good riding partners, but folks, this is an annoying habit!

PS - 60 miles on the CIII today. Very nice day to ride! About 60-63 degrees fahrenheit and enough clouds to avoid the sunburn. And decent legs to boot. :banana:
atmo you generally only learn what half wheeling is when somebody is doing it to you. Once that happens you won't do it to anyone else. Otherwise you're oblivious.

swoop
05-01-2008, 09:59 PM
there is nothing worse in life than a half wheeler.

flux

true dat. if any of you's wanna hurt my feelings.. tell me i'm half wheeler. its the supreme insult. its the bike equivalent of your date telling you that you've got BO and bad breath.

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 10:02 PM
true dat. if any of you's wanna hurt my feelings.. tell me i'm half wheeler. its the supreme insult. its the bike equivalent of your date telling you that you've got BO and bad breath.

Worse than her asking you if that's shrinkage?

e-RICHIE
05-01-2008, 10:03 PM
>>> ...telling you?
personal contact is like so 1998 atmo.

stevep
05-02-2008, 05:40 AM
my first year on saeco i was just so excited to be on the team and going for it, i was half-wheeling everyone at training camp in the double pace lines. i was a meathead and simply didn't know any better. neo-pro stuff.

one day mario rode next to me in the double pace line and when it was our turn at the front we starting going fast, then faster, then... 'holy **** this is fast'. i looked behind me and everyone was in their drops breathing hard. mario then clicked it down two gears and while still in the saddle sprinted away at a speed that i couldn't believe and with a smoothness that was just amazing.

true story.

cippos got his method. i have mine..his might not work so well fr me...

do it again
do it again
repeat as necessary
thats rookie bullshiit

William
05-02-2008, 06:04 AM
...he is constantly half-wheeling. It is impossible to 'just ride along' with him. He must push it on every single rise in the road. And subconsciously if he feels me pullling ahead he must raise me a penny, so to speak.

In my other world I call that “Escalato”. You are supposed to be sparring or stick sparring lightly working on technique. One guy gets a good hit on the other, then that person feels like it needs to be reciprocated and they stick them back harder. It escalates going back and forth, raising in intensity until they are all out going for it. I have to watch them and keep telling them to back off. Best way to cure that if I’m working with them is, if they start ramping up, I’ll warn them a couple of times to back off, “we’re working on technique.” If they keep trying to ramp it up after they have been warned a number of times, I’ll lay them out. I haven’t had to do that too often. Mostly to folks who start developing a habit of constantly going too hard and hurting others in training. Usually cures it pretty quickly.

I’ve seen folks get hooked for it on rides.

William

coloclimber
05-02-2008, 10:03 AM
I have done SteveP's advise to new road riders many times white verbally shaming them on their lack of etiquette, but I save the best tool for experienced guys who should know better-

Pull their shorts down (if non-bibs) and spray your water bottle filled with sugary energy drink up their crack. They will never half wheel again.

stevep
05-02-2008, 10:31 AM
I have done SteveP's advise to new road riders many times white verbally shaming them on their lack of etiquette, but I save the best tool for experienced guys who should know better-

Pull their shorts down (if non-bibs) and spray your water bottle filled with sugary energy drink up their crack. They will never half wheel again.

colo...its appropriate punishment for the crime
good one

Ken Robb
05-02-2008, 10:42 AM
What happens if you just ride the pace you like and let Mr. Half-wheeler ride off by himself? Do you really care? Does he notice and come back to you?

johnnymossville
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
I know it's kinda old news and all, he's retired again, but,...

Did anyone else notice that during that the Tour of California where he came in third, it looked like everyone else was busting a gut, and there was Cipo spinning along like a guy out for a Sunday ride with his kids.

He was/is smooth. Flux's comment brought that image back.

flydhest
05-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Douggie Fresh,
Indeed, this is also known as taking your companion to his "verbal threshold." It's like an anaerobic threshold, only more important for bloviators.

The "ride hard and hurt them" method really works in some settings. On group rides, I often use stevep's method because that way you don't shell the whole group by ratcheting it up (ever notice how half wheelers are just above average? that's why they do it, I think, they notice that just over half the time they are stronger than others and think that they are just plain strong.) and you embarrass them so that the whole group learns.

death to half wheelers.

I usually ride alone and wouldn't belong to any clubs that would have me but the one fella' I do ride with pretty regularly once summer comes is a smart, interesting guy with whom I disagree on almost every emotional issue, from politics to religion. Whenever he brings up such topics I half-wheel him until he can't breathe ---and thank goodness he'll never be able to keep up. He's usually so animated by the subject that he doesn't notice I rode him backwards. Otherwise, I say, half-wheelin' is loathsome and a crime punishable by flux.

dbrk

myette10
05-02-2008, 11:30 AM
That sound's like it would take two people, a great deal of hand/bottle/bike coordination or an "enthusiastic" half-wheeler.

Fat Robert
05-02-2008, 12:01 PM
steal his peach

problem solved

Big Daddy
05-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Flux-

i was hoping you had one of those in ya...sux that you had to experience it but at the same time, seriously learning from the lion king himself?

that is priceless...I am giving Ben 30% just for that one

jerk
05-02-2008, 12:35 PM
i told a guy on a group ride yesterday not to ride next to me. strong, big stupid with no ability to ride a bike. kinda guy that slingshots around you at the foot ov a little incline and then comes to a virtual stop in front of you all while weaving like a drunk with bad motor skills to begin with. he asked me why, and i couldn't just say because you're a sketchy douchebag halfwheeler who can't hold a line, wears primal wear jersey with matching shorts and underwear and rides a cannondale he bought off ebay and you're gonna frucking kill me....instead i told him it was because there were only two people on the ride that i trusted to ride next to me and he wasn't one of them....and then "it's not you, it's me." he stayed away from me after that...primarilly because i got mad and me and the two people i trusted decided to really hurt him....funny how some people suck so much they can't even suck a wheel effectivly.

jerk

DonH
05-02-2008, 01:13 PM
I've been half-wheeled on a few rides as well. It really annoyed me. I thought I was the only one that happened to......

Flux - that was a great story btw.

shinomaster
05-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Flux why didn't Cipo crash you?

Acotts
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM
i told a guy on a group ride yesterday not to ride next to me. strong, big stupid with no ability to ride a bike. kinda guy that slingshots around you at the foot ov a little incline and then comes to a virtual stop in front of you all while weaving like a drunk with bad motor skills to begin with. he asked me why, and i couldn't just say because you're a sketchy douchebag halfwheeler who can't hold a line, wears primal wear jersey with matching shorts and underwear and rides a cannondale he bought off ebay and you're gonna frucking kill me....instead i told him it was because there were only two people on the ride that i trusted to ride next to me and he wasn't one of them....and then "it's not you, it's me." he stayed away from me after that...primarilly because i got mad and me and the two people i trusted decided to really hurt him....funny how some people suck so much they can't even suck a wheel effectivly.

jerk

Cant get mad at the jerk for being a jerk.

I will admit to be a little bit of a half wheeler. Its mainly a mental thing and it happens only on 4 hour+ rides. After about 4-5 hours, If i am still feeling strong, I tend to try to get the group going a bit faster beacuse I want to go home and finish the ride. I know some people like looooong lazy saturday rides. And i do too. That is until I am about 20 miles from home its 2 hours past lunch time, I got a sun burn and the only thing keeping me from pooping my pants are the 2 year old power bars that turn my stool into stones.

I am slow, so it shouldn't be a problem for the others. Then again, when I do this, i at least take the lead and let the rest draft off me. So I am not sure if that makes me a half-wheeler as opposed to a pace pusher.

It always hits me around mile 70-80.

Andrew=Zone 2 warrior and Zone 4 pu$$y. Not worthy of his own bike.

mike p
05-02-2008, 04:54 PM

jerk

Thats laugh out loud funny. I always wondered who bought those primal wear things.

Mike