PDA

View Full Version : OT : Doyle Dykes

gomez308
05-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Have any of you cats heard of Doyle Dykes? I had not until Tuesday. A friend invited me to a workshop put on by Taylor guitars. Doyle was demonstrating different models of the Taylor lineup. Well, it was more of a concert than a workshop. He is one of the best I have ever heard and THE best, seen up close and personal. I guess he is known in the Grand Ol Opry circles. It was just unbelievable what he could do with the guitars. His daughter played a mandolin on a few songs she had written. She was a cutie and easy on the ears also.

On a side note. Near the end of the workshop Doyle was playing a Builder's Reserve guitar. It was number 57 of 75. After he finished playing he was talking about it's features. He read the plaque inlaid on the back and said " Not for sale, It has someones name on it". Then he said, " is there a John Smith here?" The guy was sitting right in front of me and he sheepishly raised his hand. Doyle asked him and his wife to come up on the stage and Doyle presented the guitar to this guy. It was a surprise from his wife. Well, after that the guy was in tears and couldn't say a word. It was really touching. It would be like being given a Meivici from Ben himself.

Anyway. I was floored and wanted to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u-BnyYTlRc