PDA

View Full Version : Carbon crank crashing question

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 01:47 PM
My little wipe_out (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=44797) the other day got me wondering about the strength of carbon cranks. It seems prudent practice to replace one's carbon bars when they are involved in a crash. This can get expensive if you are a klutz and your bike falls over at least once a year. Often the cranks, via the pedal, absorb much of the impact of a fall. Alloy cranks don't seem to be easily damaged by the weight of a 17lb bicycle. What about a carbon crank? How would they have fared in my cherry petal tumble? Do they crack or esplode like carbon bars? Are you supposed to replace them after your bike falls over? I'm curious because I got some Centaur (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/centaur) CT carbon cranks for my New Zankaroni and I will at some point this fall likely wipe_out on the bike.

Thanks,

Shino

chrisroph
05-01-2008, 03:04 PM
After your first wreck on the zanc, you should immediately bring the entire bike to my garage for inspection, of couse also bringing many bottles of fine belgian beer. We will drink the beer and pull the cranks. While drinking more beer and standing with our hands in our pockets looking at the now crankless zanc, and discussing how lucky you are to be alive all the while drinking even more beer, we will scrounge my boxes for an old shimano crank so you can make the next race. Rest assured I'll let you to leave the chorus crank with me for a couple seasons of testing to ensure that it is safe to remount on the zanc. But by then you will have made the switch.

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Silly Chris. It's a Centaur (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/centaur) (pronounced sen-tor). I've been saying it wrong all these years. I'm down for the beer and good times however.

chrisroph
05-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Silly Chris. It's a Centaur (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/centaur) (pronounced sen-tor). I've been saying it wrong all these years. I'm down for the beer and good times however.

silly me, but my offer still stands.

Elefantino
05-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Carbon crank crashing question
Say that three times fast.

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Say that three times fast.

I can't...No one knows the answer to my tricky query?

Dave
05-01-2008, 05:20 PM
There is probably no right answer for those paranoid about carbon. I've been using carbon cranks during my last four wrecks (all on carbon frames) and never gave a thought to replacing my cranks, handlebars or frames. Incurring enough force to cause damage to a crankarm is hard to imagine. I've slid out and rubbed my shoe and the pedal, but that shouldn't apply any huge forces to the crankarm.

Like any other material, CF can be inspected for signs of stress. The most obvious would be an area where the clear resin turned a shade of white/grey as it was stressed almost to the point of breaking.

Someone posted a similar concern about carbon handlebars, with fears of that a hit from the side could cause them to break. As an experiment, I took a pair of bars that I wasn't using, stood them on end on the floor and supported my entire 135lb body weight from one side. The bars certainly didn't flex as much as another pair of aluminum bars.

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 05:54 PM
When e_Richie showed us he stub the crank looked like it had white spots on it. Maybe he should listen to his coach.

Too Tall
05-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Eat your lucky charms before rides, it will be fine. Your good friend C. has your back. You stick to making AWESOME food and pottery leave the wrenching and beer inspection to the experts.

roman meal
05-01-2008, 08:21 PM

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 09:16 PM
No budget but thanks for the opportunity. Maybe in the future.

?

DarrenCT
05-01-2008, 09:19 PM
yo shino

wanst that a chorus crank i gave u?

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 09:23 PM
yo shino

wanst that a chorus crank i gave u?

:beer:
YEah dude that's going on the CAnnondale>or a new Giant. :beer:
THE cheap CEntaur crank I got at NAshbar is Going on the ZankaRoni.

DarrenCT
05-01-2008, 09:27 PM
:beer:
YEah dude that's going on the CAnnondale>or a new Giant. :beer:
THE cheap CEntaur crank I got at NAshbar is Going on the ZankaRoni.

centaur is the new dura-ace

i just put silver centaur shifters on my kirk and i think its faster

i miss that strip joint in portland.

are there any other builders in portland i can visit? :banana:

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 09:28 PM
centaur is the new dura-ace

i just put silver centaur shifters on my kirk and i think its faster

i miss that strip joint in portland.

are there any other builders in portland i can visit? :banana:

Yes!! Lots...I wanted to take you to a few others but....I had the "wife" with me. Alas...come back and get an Ira Ryan.

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Also, silver Centaur is the bomb. It just works. Campy "gets it". Leap to Centaur.

DarrenCT
05-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Yes!! Lots...I wanted to take you to a few others but....I had the "wife" with me. Alas...come back and get an Ira Ryan.

if i come back, it'll be for the beer not another framemo

ps: how is the weather there now?

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 09:32 PM
if i come back, it'll be for the beer not another framemo

ps: how is the weather there now?

It's been cold and ****ty, but today was nice. It'll be nice really soon. Move here.

maunahaole
05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
It's been cold and ****ty, but today was nice. It'll be nice really soon. Move here.

I don't think that there is enough beer in Portland to handle an extended stay. :beer:

shinomaster
05-01-2008, 09:46 PM
I don't think that there is enough beer in Portland to handle an extended stay. :beer:

Oh yes there is!