PDA

View Full Version : Question for Fender riders

Lifelover
04-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Once you install a decent set of Fenders on your commuter type bike do you leave them on most of the time or take them on and off as needed?

Is there any down side to leaving them on all the time?

Thanks

bigbill
04-30-2008, 06:44 PM
I had them on all the time in Hawaii since I rode in the rain almost daily. Same thing here in the PNW. The only downside I see is aerodynamics and they do catch alot of crosswind. My commuter is a cross bike so it would take me all of ten minutes to remove them. It doesn't really rain here in July and August so maybe I'll take them off for a while this summer.

Peter P.
04-30-2008, 06:54 PM
I've had mine on since 1982. No disadvantages. Too many benefits to list.

dwightskin
04-30-2008, 06:58 PM
. . . then curse yourself when riding in a rainstorm.

Also, only carry a patch kit when you think you might get a flat.

Also, add an extra bit of mudflap to the front fender to protect your drivetrain from your front wheel spray.

Dwight

gasman
04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
I leave the fenders on most of the time. Maybe off in July for the seasonal overhaul of the hubs and bike and I know the weather will be nice till the end of Aug. Then they go back on

gone
04-30-2008, 07:30 PM
On the one bike that I have that has fenders, I leave them on all the time. If you want to nitpick downsides the only two I can think of are a barely noticeable increase in weight and perhaps a bit more instability in really gusty cross winds. These are more than offset the first time you're out and caught in a rainstorm.

Erik.Lazdins
04-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Had one bike
needed fenders so I tried the race blades
ok but not good
Got a 650b with long fenders - and I ride it when ever its wet or nasty or even nice on occasion - the fenders stay on always.

It's better than I expected

Its all good - the only bad is you need a dedicated rain bike!

StefanZ
04-30-2008, 07:47 PM
I put them on once, and never looked back. If it's a commuter, the few extra grams don't matter, and you always are sure to avoid the black racing stripe up your back and soaked feet, should the weather be inclement.

Stefan

melonyogloo
04-30-2008, 08:22 PM
I have fender permanently on my commuter/rain bike.

justinf
04-30-2008, 09:41 PM
all the time.

pdxmech13
04-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Leave on and forget they are their.

caleb
04-30-2008, 10:28 PM
All the time. Honjos.

Der_Kruscher
05-01-2008, 01:15 AM
I'm in the minority...I take 'em off when the weather gets nice. It changes up the look of the bike so every Spring and Fall I get excited to either take of or put on my fenders.

Too Tall
05-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Leave them on. Love the fender be the fender ;)

palincss
05-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Once you install a decent set of Fenders on your commuter type bike do you leave them on most of the time or take them on and off as needed?

Thanks

I leave them on all the time. There is no downside to leaving them on, there's a huge downside to taking them off (major PITA with Honjos) and they look great -- as you can see from the photo.

Besides - how good are you as a prognosticator? Even Punxatawney Phil gets it wrong pretty often, and he is The Great Prognosticator. So if you aren't in a class with Phil (and even the National Weather Service isn't) the odds are good you will be caught by surprise, and will encounter unexpected rain. It's sure nice to have those fenders when it rains, or when the road is wet. Even when you just have to ride through that three-foot long puddle.

Andreas
05-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Depends.

I leave them on almost the entire year.
From December through most of April I ride in snow and ice on studded tires. During the time snow melt in April I take them off for about 4 weeks because the wet and heavy snow get trapped under the fender and makes riding hard.
When it's cold the powdery snow is not a problem. Fenders stay on rest of the year.

I ride fixed on my commuter and I use the snap in/out SKS fender stays front and back in case something gets traped in the rear wheel (thanks to jbay for that advice).

Kevan
05-01-2008, 08:43 AM
that occasional twig or stone that gets caught up under and makes enough racket to shake you from your zen state. All good fun.

Bob Ross
05-01-2008, 09:37 AM

Leave 'em on all the time. It's a commuter bike!

On my commuter bike (a Bridgestone 600), the front fender creates nasty toe overlap. Plus every time I try to wheel my bike around vertically on its back wheel I wind up scraping the end of the rear fender on the ground!

Too Tall
05-01-2008, 09:54 AM
that occasional twig or stone that gets caught up under and makes enough racket to shake you from your zen state. All good fun.
INtereesting comment Dr. Spock. Those lovely painted Honjos I've got are soft as a babys hind end. When sticks circulate thru those puppies it does leave a mark...I've hammered out a few already. Attention Young S. White...your bikes get used :)

vaxn8r
05-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Always on.

Wiley J
05-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Always on, with flaps.

dbrk
05-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Removing my fenders would be like coming to work without pants on. You know, no shoes, no shirt, no service. But pants? Thems the law.

dbrk

fixednwinter
05-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Always leave them on my Alycon Fixed, which is my winter training bike/commuting & errands bike.

Fenders go on and off on the Hampsten Strada Bianca, depending on weather and the type of ride. But it mostly stays on.

As with the others, the only disadvantage is it's not aerodynamic and gusts are more noticeable, but on the Fixed for training & errands it doesn't matter.

Gunther
05-01-2008, 05:25 PM
It has rained almost every time I've taken my fixed gear, foul weather bike out without its fenders. I removed them once to replace a broken rear fender and a second time when I foolishly thought that the winter sloppiness might have eased up for the season. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

GtB

hypnos
05-01-2008, 09:52 PM

No

ColdRider
05-01-2008, 10:12 PM
As many other chimed in... I always leave the fenders on my commuter/bad weather/winter bike. I find there is no downside to it and can't see myself taken them on and off too often. Even if it takes 10 mins to get them off, it still takes time to put them back on. Some fenders are pretty easy to put on, but sometimes adjusting them can be a PIA. A wise man once said "set it and forget it" =)

If you have the luxury of having a "normal" ie non-commuter bike (which I think you do right?), it's a no-brainer. I actually call my fendered bike the no-brainer. Rain, sleet, snow or shine, I don't have to think and just reach for it.

Do you see yourself looking at the weather forecast every week and play guess-game with the rain gods to see if you are going to put the fenders on or not?

Lifelover
05-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I guess if and when I get them they will be going on for good!

erikbrooks
05-02-2008, 01:16 PM
I take them off for cross season. during cross, we're supposed to have a stripe up our back. :)