PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Riding - Round -7

dnovo
01-06-2004, 06:41 AM
"When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

It was -7 when I got up early this morning, without even considering the windchill factor. What would the really tough do? How many layers could you get on, and how well would the googles serve to keep your eyeballs from freezing?

I thought of Lance and his triumphs over his many hardships and I knew the answer: That dude's from Texas, for God's sake, they don't ride in crap like this. So a nice hour on the trainer "racing" a computer Lance was just fine for me today. (He won, what a shock!)

Stay warm, my friends. Dave N.

dave thompson
01-06-2004, 06:47 AM
-21 in Spokane!

dnovo
01-06-2004, 06:52 AM
So I assume that means you aren't going to ride today -- outside at least-- either? Dave N.

Dan La Foot
01-06-2004, 09:20 AM
Man, it's only 50 degrees at 7 AM in North San Diego County. Brrrrr.
Gonna wait till it warms up a bit before going out for a spin.
Gotta decide between the Legend or Calfee this morning. Life is good!
Dan

Kevan
01-06-2004, 09:55 AM
50 degrees and you're trying to decide whether to ride.

Why, here in NY we'd be vacillating as to whether to wear shorts or tights.

I'm guessing in those more brutal areas, 50 degrees would constitute wearing short sleeve jerseys, sun screen, and ensuring plenty of hydration was available.

Dan La Foot
01-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Not a Troll, Kevan.
I'm actually a Hobbit minus the furry feet.
Leg and arm warmers with a vest this morning.
It should be in high 60s by noon.
Cmon out. Some great hills to ride.
Dan

mso
01-06-2004, 10:05 AM
50's is pretty nice here in Southern Cal but when it drops below 40 its cross training time, HOT YOGA !!!

M_A_Martin
01-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Heck, at 50 degrees its time to ditch the bike, put on the swimsuit and bake on the lawn chair parked in the snowbank!

shinomaster
01-07-2004, 02:08 PM
When I was younger I did a hard ride in the winter when the temp. was well below freezing. When I got home I could not stop coughing from breathing the cold air. I coughed for about three or four weeks before I went to the Doctor who said I had bronchitis.
I have had similar problems getting coughs since and I wonder if i damaged my lungs? Has anyone else had a similar experience??

Ozz
01-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Shino,

I feel your pain.

About 8 years ago I got a real bad cold that moved into my lungs and had bronchitis for about 3 - 4 months.

Ever since I have been very susceptible to chest colds.

Oh yeah, the wife really digs it when I cough up the 'lung butter' in the shower. Blech! :(

shinomaster
01-07-2004, 03:48 PM
Being a potter and breathing clay and silica dust only makes it worse I'm sure. I can do little about that it would seem.
When I used to ride in Boston in the winter I had the problem of my water turning into a slush puppy, and my chain freezing, and my **** freezing too..Thatt is really the worst part, Numb ***s.. (sorry ladies)

BumpyintheBurgh
01-07-2004, 04:44 PM
19 degrees in the Burgh with light snow overnight. They laid down a layer of salt on my road so that's my excuse for not riding today. Does anyone know the chemical composition of road salt?
Never had bronchitis but I think this stuff can really cause you problems is you are out riding and breath too much of the salt dust kicked up by cars. I see what the salt does to my concrete driveway, so I know it can't be any good for my lungs or my CSI.

shinomaster
01-07-2004, 05:22 PM
well if it's salt then it's sodium chloride, if it is a chemical de-icer then who knows...great for the environment I'm sure!

They don't salt the roads here in Portland so the cars last for ever..no rust, even with all the rain. Salt is bad for your bike. If you do ride in the rain take out the seat post and set the bike upside down and watch all the water run out!! scary!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: