PDA

View Full Version : Ouzo Pro or Wound Up

ericspin
04-30-2008, 06:07 PM
New build about to happen. These two have been suggested by builder and I have decided to follow his lead rather than mind farkin this deal.

So.........which?

93legendti
04-30-2008, 06:18 PM
New build about to happen. These two have been suggested by builder and I have decided to follow his lead rather than mind farkin this deal.

So.........which?
What's your weight and intended use? The OP's ride quality is sublime.

dave thompson
04-30-2008, 06:21 PM
While I'm sure that both forks are great, I've used the Ouzo Pro for years and like them a lot. I just can't wrap my eyes around the Wound Up.

ericspin
04-30-2008, 06:26 PM
What's your weight and intended use? The OP's ride quality is sublime.

I'm about 195 now.

Intend to use it on a fixed gear, on the road.......of course.

chrisroph
04-30-2008, 06:27 PM
ouzo's a great fork. no opinion on wu.

Climb01742
04-30-2008, 06:31 PM
from some very knowledgeable sources, i've been told the wound-up has the most "forgiving" ride without sacrificing any stability or precision. you also get good tire clearance. but it is, of course, visually challenging, shall we say.

i have a hampsten incoming with the wound-up. ride trumps ugly for me.

cowgirl
04-30-2008, 06:39 PM
from some very knowledgeable sources, i've been told the wound-up has the most "forgiving" ride without sacrificing any stability or precision. you also get good tire clearance. but it is, of course, visually challenging, shall we say.

i have a hampsten incoming with the wound-up. ride trumps ugly for me.

gomez308
04-30-2008, 07:05 PM
I guess I'm the only one who likes the looks of the Wound Up.

gone
04-30-2008, 07:27 PM
I just changed the fork on my Parlee Z1x from an Ouzo Pro to a Wound Up so I can comment on the differences. They both have the same rake but the Wound Up crown to axle length is 5mm shorter.

Overall, I am very pleased with the change. The Wound Up handles every bit as well as the OP, sharp as a tack and a very "on rails" feeling in hard cornering but it is also noticeably more comfortable. I ride 100% of the time on chip seal and the DOT has gone to an aggregate the size of a small bolder in their unceasing efforts to make life as miserable as possible for cyclists and the Wound Up does a better job of dampening the near constant buzz from the rough road surface.

Before I put the Wound Up on I thought that worst case I could always go back if I didn't like it as well as the OP. Not going back.

I also like the looks.

Fixed
04-30-2008, 07:41 PM
bro if i were you i would tell the builder to pick but that's me
cheers :beer:
he may have a vision of what he wants it to be you know art stuff

Jeff N.
04-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Buy both. Ride both. Sell the one you like the least. It's the only way to know for sure. Jeff N.

musgravecycles
04-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Buy both. Ride both. Sell the one you like the least. It's the only way to know for sure. Jeff N.

atmo they aren't switchable on account of a 5mm difference in race height...

Jeff N.
04-30-2008, 08:38 PM
atmo they aren't switchable on account of a 5mm difference in race height...Just go with the Ouzo. Jeff N.

justinf
04-30-2008, 09:36 PM
I like them both very much. Here's my Woundup. Who says they're ugly?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=36189&stc=1

huey
04-30-2008, 09:43 PM
ouzo pro. that picture above is special, as these types of bikes are becoming appealing to me for the first time ever. i like that a lot.

Louis
04-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Is this a question about how the forks work, or how they look?

Given that many consider the Ouzo Pro the reference against which all others are measured, you probably can't go wrong on how it works.

For looks, I think the Ouzo looks better on a vastly greater number of frames than the Wound Up. Every now and then I'll see a picture of a WU and think "yes, that works" but most of the time they look kind of weird. How would it look on your bike? Who knows - I don't know how to figure it out beforehand.

I think it comes down to aesthetics. If you want something different consider the WU. Otherwise, go with the basic.

Good Luck
Louis

guyintense
04-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Here's what Tom Kellogg had to say about that: http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/65.htm

SoCalSteve
04-30-2008, 11:27 PM

Great suggestion...But, I owned a Wound Up on a couple of Sevens and found the ride too stiff-harsh. The Ouzo Pro on the other hand...excellent ride quality and very pretty to look at.

Just sayin'

Steve

inGobwetrust
04-30-2008, 11:55 PM
I love the looks and ride of the Wound Up. I've got them on 2 bikes including my Vanilla road and a older steel cross bike. I've never ridden the Ouzo but I have zero complaints on the WU.

ericspin
05-01-2008, 05:09 AM
Here's what Tom Kellogg had to say about that: http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/65.htm

Cool, very informative. Thanks!

soulspinner
05-01-2008, 06:11 AM
UL. After speaking with people at Reynolds about my 4 forks from them, the UL is going on my next ride...