PDA

View Full Version : don't race don't apologize

Fixed
04-30-2008, 11:07 AM
bro how many cats say I don't race but then talk about bikes or racing
here is the thing no one has to go apologizing for not racing there are many cats who could do well racing that don't .. some of these cats spend more time on the bike than the pros .. those that race are not better than those that do bro I mean a one day card into the cat 5's doesn't mean a whole lot when is a cat a bike racer ? after he pins on a number ?
here is the thing.. race or don't race but don't feel like you have to go
apologizing for not racing imho just ride the bike that is the main thing

diving into a corner
at 25 does teach you something about you and your bike as well as riding shoulder to shoulder at 30 . but every day riding teaches things too like how to survive things about tires and bikes that are important ...the beauty for a slow ride after a hard day at work both worlds are great just don't sell yourself short imho
cheers

Your_Friend!
04-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Fixed!

Nice To Hear

Your_Opinion!

A Very_Wise One!

I Hope You Are Well!

Love,
Your_Friend!

swoop
04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
it's all bikin'.
coffee is the best part.

Fixed
04-30-2008, 11:20 AM
thank you
my friend
when I race i can be a ... well not very nice if someone does something stupid ... I don't like that part of me for some reason i cannot just bite my lip ..
cheers

J.Greene
04-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Bro,

As usual your right. Here (http://www.velonews.com/article/75607/fresh-korn-a-brief-respite-from-europe) is a good column by pro Will Frisckorn that hits the high points atmo.

JG

swoop
04-30-2008, 11:24 AM
biking is the thing that makes me feel fully alive. i get that we all have some of that. sometimes anger feels good for a sec too.

William
04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
I’ve played both sides of that coin. I just respect folks for getting out and riding…period. :cool:

William

J.Greene
04-30-2008, 11:30 AM
most importantly... 99% of us that race... do it for fun.

i like dressing like a superhero and pretending.

Agreed. I like my pals. I like the travel. I like the kids we mentor. I like we keep these kids away from Beer, drugs and video games.

I will say that I'd rather be in a paceline of racers who know what they are doing than be with the local Sat morning worlds. It's a pleasure to ride with good racers. With that said there are some pretty dumb moves made by racers.

JG

Fixed
04-30-2008, 11:39 AM
cats like j.g. and steve p helping kids you guys are my heros
hey pro bono swoop when do i get the bill for all the psychology work
cheers

Ahneida Ride
04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't race ...

But I have the up most respect and admiration for those that do. ;)

J.Greene
04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
cats like j.g. and steve p helping kids you guys are my heros

Steve P is big, I get more from the kids then they give me.

The kid Junior who posts here, he has colleges calling him about their cycling programs. He's gone from wanting to go to the local CC (nothing wrong with that) to thinking about life outside of his comfort zone. I think it's awsome and Im proud to be a small part of all that. The kids make it happen, we just try to help them avoid the really big mistakes.

JG

Fixed
04-30-2008, 11:51 AM
and they listen to you when they might not to their dads .. know why?
cos you are a bro, a cats that hangs with them a pal that they respect and have fun with and look up to . imho good job
when we are gone it might be nice to be remembered as someone who cared and made a difference in a young persons life ..
cheers

cadence231
04-30-2008, 01:01 PM
It's your life. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeyJOcuGbyI)

swoop
04-30-2008, 02:05 PM
butch, just show me where your bros are only going 25 into the corners... i wanna race there!!!!!! i'll split the prize money with you :)

truth... i yell at cars not at bikers.

Fat Robert
04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
thanks for putting into words what i've been working out for the last year, fixed.

Fixed
04-30-2008, 02:42 PM
butch, just show me where your bros are only going 25 into the corners... i wanna race there!!!!!! i'll split the prize money with you :)

truth... i yell at cars not at bikers.

hey swoop i bet you would do great here
cheers

swoop
04-30-2008, 02:46 PM
hey swoop i bet you would do great here
cheers

my old team mate dean from belize moved out to fla and still shows up... he's a cool cat. you know any of the belizian brothers out there? there's a huge crew of em in la and every place they turn up at becomes a good time with the whole family. i love those cats. they teaze you relentlessly from the curbside if you eff up a prime or have gasface, and they tear your legs off, laugh at you, but have your back at the same time.

Cdub
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
+1 on the great thread.

I "race' if that is what you want to call it.

Honestly, I like watching a beginner roll up and explain with with enthusiasm and a smile that he/she just rode 10 miles for the first time. Puts it all in perspective.

avalonracing
04-30-2008, 03:01 PM
I've know great, strong riders who have never raced and I know horrible, squirrelly racers who shouldn't even ride (and I know guys who talk like they spent five years as a Euro-pro who have never raced and can't hold their line in a group).

I will say even though you don't have to race to understand the sport you get a true appreciation for racing by doing it.

It is hard to explain to someone who hasn't raced what it actually feels like to:
-Be on a solo break and tapping resources that you never knew you had
-Be at 100%, and have someone start to drop you and not be able to hold on
-Dive into a corner at 25mph ; )
-Feel the insane amount of human energy around you in a field sprint
-Feel the adrenaline build before you try and make a break
-Block for your teammates who are up the road
-Share in the victory when a teammate wins
-Give a wheel to the strongman on the team
-Know what it is like when you are up the road and know your team is back their doing what they can to keep you up there

It really is an incredible sport.

swoop
04-30-2008, 03:10 PM
the one thing i got from racing was a deep sense that i could go a million miles further over where i perceived the edge to be, and that most of the limitations i set are in my head.

all those moments strung together where i am absolutely at my limit and can still tell myself to ignore all the signs because they aren't real.... it kind of changed everything about how i live and (and even love).
when i started racing i'd shut it down.. but eventually i learned to see that edge as a place to begin to open it up.
it's the closest thing i have to church and to real life mystical experiences. and it all came out of transcending suffering by deepening it and inviting it in.

i never knew those places would exist until i raced for like 4 or 5 years and dipped a toe and then a leg in. it changed my life.
(mind you.... i'm not very good on a bike).

it also taught me what i love about certain bikes and fostered amazing friendships. man, i love that seven joni and mike (and harm) made me!

Fixed
04-30-2008, 03:43 PM
nice swoop
on the other side of the coin are the cats that think nothing about a 24 hour ride and there is one bro here that did p.b.p. on a fix .(one of my many heros from here)
then there are some that just love to feel the openness and freedom from daily duties that a little ride gives imho
the bike is a remarkable tool and friend
cheers

Johny
04-30-2008, 03:43 PM
I heart you guys. :beer:

Big Daddy
04-30-2008, 03:56 PM
it's all bikin'.
coffee is the best part.

no matter what end you put it in...

Dave B
04-30-2008, 06:17 PM
I say it is more then just racing. Competition might be the word.

I played soccer for awhile in college and a bit after and was a keeper. i loved the pressure. You are the one people look to when someone scores. I loved it. Whatever that feeling is, it was sublime. I became a different person. I can go from the most laid back...maybe too much to a person i barely recognize...almost evil. Not so much dirty as passionate beyond control.

When I would coach my high school kids it would tear me up not to see them sacrificing on the field as i felt they should. I finally had to realize you can't coach heart.

I was in one mtb race and everything that could go wrong barring the frame/fork exploding did. Dehydrated myself, mechanicals all over you know the living example of Murphy's Law. Finished dead last.

I think that is why I have to do it again. I have to say I am enjoying something new (cross) in my riding. I have so much to learn and for the first time ina long time i am enjoying the practice. I know it will be awhile before I am competitive, but the promise of that is pretty freaking motivating.

anyway got lost in thought

Good thread

andy mac
04-30-2008, 06:43 PM
i think everyone should try at least one race - in whatever form that takes.

to compete is to know where you stand.

watching the tour for 3 weeks and buying a team jersey doesn't make you an expert.

it especially gets my goat up when the armchairs bag the big georges, bode millers and jan's of this world.

:beer:

andy

Bill Bove
04-30-2008, 06:52 PM
my old team mate dean from belize moved out to fla and still shows up... he's a cool cat. you know any of the belizian brothers out there? there's a huge crew of em in la and every place they turn up at becomes a good time with the whole family. i love those cats. they teaze you relentlessly from the curbside if you eff up a prime or have gasface, and they tear your legs off, laugh at you, but have your back at the same time. yeah, that's what keeps me coming back. having a good laugh at at/with my friends and myself. it's the people who make the game what it is.

Dave B
04-30-2008, 06:56 PM
i think everyone should try at least one race - in whatever form that takes.

to compete is to know where you stand.

watching the tour for 3 weeks and buying a team jersey doesn't make you an expert.

it especially gets my goat up when the armchairs bag the big georges, bode millers and jan's of this world.

:beer:

andy

Bro i hear ya.

From someone on the out trying to get in, it takes some time to make the switch. People in the know kind of sense it though. Guess that is why coaches and experience make so much sense. some one to guide you.

Steelhead
05-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Word.

One of my favorite group rides is a Wed. nighter out of a high end road shop. I was always intimidated to go ride with that bunch cause all the guys rolling around in the parking lot before had team kits, shaved legs, high end carbon racer boy stuff... I would always head over there on my bike and then just ride by, doing my own thing not wanting to ride with the racers.

One night I pulled in there on my bike thinking what the heck I would give it a try. I rode with them for a couple of miles and then turned off their route as I was running short on time. The next week I went the full loop with them and am happy to say that I hung right in there with the front group, and have ever since. Those guys no longer intimidate me, and it is my favorite ride of the week. Sometimes the real hammerheads will show and they drop it about 3 miles in, but it is all good as the core group stays together and we all chill in the parking lot after. I'm glad I finally pulled in there and went on a ride with the "racers". They were not really as fast as I thought they would be. :)

Dave B
05-01-2008, 10:38 AM
I wonder what causes us to be intimidated or lack the self cofidence to try new things. Being a parent I see it in a 3 year old and wonder where she is learning it or is it nature.

The "Look" of a cyclist can be intimidating to som eif you don't fit in...however like a pretty woman, there is often more you don't know beneath the surface.

It takes something, but the more you invovle yourself the more often you fit right in.

My wife tends to give me a hard time as I meet new cyclists and always think they are dorks. Then she points out that we all are.

ss-jimbo
05-01-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm done racing for racing's sake. I like the competition, but there has to be more than that, it has to be an experience.

If it's a crit, I want it technical or not flat, if it's a road race, I want some dirt or hills, and don't make me do a road race on a 5 mile loop.

Racing gives me the chance to ride in places I'd never know about or go to otherwise. Next weekend I'll be racing in Fayetteville, AR and it's unlikely that I'd end up on those particular roads otherwise. Also when else would you get the chance to fly around the downtown streets there, or anywhere.

I'm done with office park crits and boring road race courses. I'm not sad to see the Jacksonville road race disappear, though I am sad for the reasons (refusal to obey the center line rule). I skipped the Athens Twilight amateur crits because I knew that I wouldn't go to the finals (went up to Brasstown for the TDG finish).

We're probably going to Superweek this summer, but I won't do more than 2 or 3 races because they're mostly crits. My wife will race and I'll go for longer rides in the surrounding countryside. Wisconsin is beautiful.

I'll probably never quit racing entirely, but I won't ever run around every weekend to get my "fix." Oh and in answer to some of the notes about race experiences etc, I almost never have to go as hard in the races as I do in some of the local rides, but the stakes are different.