PDA

View Full Version : major canine mojo needed here too

rphetteplace
04-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Just had one of my toughest nights ever. One of my fiance's and my beautiful golden retriever was diagnosed with stage 5 lymphoma today. We are taking him up to UW Oncology department to discuss treatment or non treatment options tomorrow.

My fiance' Jess and I met 4 years ago walking our dogs down at the local dog park. We each had a golden retriever and so I guess we kind of took to each other. Our dogs are as night and day different as we are. Copper her dog is a very gentle soul with blondish wispy hair and has too much understanding in his eyes for him to be just a dog. He doesn't understand just words, I swear he understands everything he's told. My dog Chance on the other hand is just a brute, and looking at him you'd swear he's been poppin roids.
Jess and I are equally mutt and Jeff of a couple with me being 18" taller and having her by a nice even 200 lbs. Somehow the opposites all connected.

Anyways as we walked and walked our dogs, gradually I guess we fell in love. The dogs always at our sides. The dogs have been literally shore to shore with us the last 3 years as we travelled and they have played a huge part in our developing relationship. It was my intention for both of them to be at our wedding next year, and now it seems that Copper won't make it.

I will have so many great memories of this wonderful dog so please take the time this evening to give your pet or your child just a little extra love, they all deserve it.

Ryan

aLexis
04-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Extra kisses given to each of the three dogs tonight. (Although I think only 2 out of the 3 deserve it). Thanks for the reminder. Be strong, Copper will be in our thoughts.

e-RICHIE
04-29-2008, 09:52 PM
spencer sends his best atmo -

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2016/1827655494_0b264046b4_o.jpg

hansolo758
04-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey rphette:

Whatever karma I can send your way, consider it sent. All the best in this difficult time.

Louis
04-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Hey Ryan,

As I type this, Abby, one of my cats, is sitting on my lap (Nyx is out in the garage, hunting mice.) He says that even though he's a dog, Copper sounds like a pretty good guy, so we both send our best.

Louis

Sandy
04-30-2008, 01:19 AM
I am going to PM you a copy of a letter I wrote someone who has a dog that she and her husband love immensely and who face the same type situation as you do. I hope that it is not too long to PM. Take from it what you think is worthwhile, please.

Copper will always be Golden to you, both in breed name and in your heart. Best to you during this very difficult period for you, your fiance, and Copper.

Sandy

ericspin
04-30-2008, 05:18 AM
Me and Matsi, my BC, are sending out the special _dog and master_ love today to Copper. Your fiance must really be struggling with this. It is eerie to me how much more in touch they become when they are struggling with their last days, at least mine did. Hope Copper fares well and keep us up to date......as you can.

I am working out of town right now and Matsi travels back and forth with me. Sure makes me feel better when I am with him.

Eric

mnoble485
04-30-2008, 06:39 AM
As I respond to this I am looking at a picture of my two goldens, Bailey and Shelby. Unfortunatly Bailey came down with a tumor in her sinus cavity. We were and still are heart broken. I know your pain. They are special beings.
Healing vibes to you and yours
Mike

ti_boi
04-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Mojo sent. My advice is to take every day and make your friend feel as good as they possibly can. I kept a journal and took many photographs. I also cried like a baby which is not something I can ever remember doing. This is life. Be strong.

JohnS
04-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Best wishes.
I had to put my Golden, Bear down a month and a half ago. It was doubly hard because he wasn't "sick", he just had very weak hindquarters and was in pain. He was over 12 years old. We got him from a rescue when he was 8. I wish I had had more time with him. He was my best buddy in the world.

Fixed
04-30-2008, 09:23 AM
your love for him brought the new love make him as happy as he made you

I know you will

major mojo sent

djg
04-30-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm really sorry and wish you all the best.

Extra pats to Lucky and Chavez tonight at our place.

rphetteplace
10-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Well we went through with the chemo protocol up at UW hospital. He had achieved a full remission and was doing really well. We had wanted Copper to give us the summer to say goodbye to him. He had an excellent summer with a very high quality of life and had a lot of fun. Sunday somehow when I woke up I knew we needed to do something special that day. We took him for a very long scenic car ride, he got to chase a couple squirrels, swim a bit in Lake Michigan, and ate an entire package of Snausages on . On the way back he was in the back seat with his head on my armrest. He looked at me and said thanks for the day and that it was his time. I looked back and told him thanks for everything, that I'd always remember him and I will always remember my time with him. Sunday night his organs began failing and we made the choice Monday morning to put him to rest. Thank you for your thoughts and for reading my teary ranting. Ryan

SadieKate
10-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Gosh dang it. For some reason this morning I had a little teary breakdown again about losing Izaak, our standard poodle, last March. Now I'm shedding a few more for you and Copper.

Sandy
10-14-2008, 12:58 PM
I love dogs, as I guess you know. Hadn't had a dog for over 30 years. Adopted one last December. When you actually have a dog (or a pet) of your own, you are better able to relate to what you and your fiance' are experiencing. It saddens me because of your loss, especially since I am more sensitive to and understanding of what that loss must mean to both of you. Although my dog is with me, hopefully for many years, I can sense, to some degree, the emptiness/void that you must feel.

Clearly, you and your fiance' balanced very well the emotional and rational decision making aspects of taking care of Copper. You should feel some solace knowing that you were able to take the best care of Copper when he was with you, and knew when to let go. That is often very difficult to do, both with pets and people.

Best to both of you.

Sandy

William
10-14-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm very sorry Ryan. Please accept my condolences.

You'll always remember the special times and the joy he brought to your hearts.

William

Louis
10-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Sorry to hear that Ryan. However, it's good to hear that it went as well as possible up until the very end. Pets are great.

Louis

WadePatton
10-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Love from me and my pair in the corner up there ^.

jmc22
10-14-2008, 04:51 PM
It's been almost a year to the date that I had to put my Golden "Alta" down, at age 6 he developed a Mass Cell Tumor, after going to vet after vet and hearing nothing but horror stories, I found a Vet that did surgery to remove it (it was located on his genitals).. he lived a healthy 3 more years after that until the cancer resurfaced on his splien and we had to put him down…it was a very sad day to say the least…6 months ago I adopted a 2yr old Golden from a rescue shelter and he has been a perfect fit to the family…every day I am with my dogs I am happy knowing that I am providing them with a great home and a happy life…. :banana:

jghall
10-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Ryan,
Teary eyed is right. I'm swelling up as I type.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like you guys had a wonderful life together though.

Regards,
Jeff

Dekonick
10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
I feel your pain - I just lost 2 co workers in the span of one week from Cancer. Both friends, but one more like a big brother.

I just wish we could do for people what we can do for our pets... make the transition more peaceful.

May your dog forever chase tennis balls and squirrels in a far better place than where we live.

:(

cadence90
10-14-2008, 07:36 PM
This story made me really cry.
rph, it sounds like you and your fiancée both truly did all you could, and that the love was genuine and reciprocal. No one can ask for more.
I have been through this many times, having had many dogs; despite the pain of the loss, each one is with me to this day, and I with him or her. I may well be facing your situation again soon.

My father was a very good painter. As a 40th birthday present a few years ago, I only asked that he, over time, paint or draw an 8.5" x 11" image of each dog (33) that either my family or I as an adult had had.

He did do that.
This is the painting of the last dog I had to put down, my best friend Turner, who had (and loved as much) as many tennis balls as Andre Agassi. I made a photograph of him one day jumping after a ball. My father used that photo to make this painting (based on "The Ascension", by the Sienese Renaissance painter Simone Martini).

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9674/turner02smallnl8.jpg

I love this image, not only for the personal connection but also for what it represents: I think this is where all dogs go after their time with us.

I hope that it may provide you also a small bit of solace, and in any case I offer you my condolences.

kong79
10-14-2008, 09:25 PM
We just put Rocky, our 12 year old yellow Lab/ Great Dane cross to sleep a week ago. Picture a yellow Great Dane with a Labs head. We adopted him from the pound when he was three months old. He spent the better part of the next two weeks in and out of the vets trying to clear up worms and other assorted malady's. $500 plus dollars later he was our kids belated Christmas present. In our 27 years of marriage, he was the second dog we've had to put down. The worst part was taking his kennel down last Friday and than washing the windows in my truck that Rocky "cleaned" on the way to the vet the last time. I just sat there and bawled. Even when you know it's for the best, it just breaks your heart.

ti_boi
10-14-2008, 09:32 PM
The board gives tremendous support in times like this. Be well. Allow yourself time. :beer:

ericspin
10-15-2008, 05:22 AM
Damn, that is hard to read. I love my dog so much it hurts sometime. You were blessed with a wonderful day with him that will always be in your mind.

So sorry for you.

Eric

MartyE
10-15-2008, 09:08 AM
my condolences for the loss of Copper.

I lost my German Shepherd back in April, one day she was fine, the next
swollen and diagnosed with a tumor on her spleen. We opted for surgery
and chemo but she didn't survive the surgery.
All I can say is it does get easier eventually.

Marty

RABikes2
10-15-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm very sorry Ryan. May time heal, so you may remember the good times with smiles and without tears.
Ritaann

RPS
10-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Ryan, I’m sorry to hear about Copper -- the grieving you’re going through shows how much you loved him. And please give Chance an extra hug for us, he probably misses Copper too.

flickwet
10-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Our Golden "Bridget" was just as you described "Copper", She was 11 and diagnosed too old for treatment, Vet said "she'll let you know when she's ready to go...,Bridget LOVED her dog food , one night she started really labored breathing, I picked her up and set her between Robin and I in bed, in the morning I helped her down, when I poured out her breakfast she looked at it then looked at me wagged her tail slowly and walked away from her bowl, the memory crushes me to this day. That afternoon the 5 of us took her to the vet and held her till it was over. The loss of a beloved pet is tough, it can mark a transition in life, for us it really was the waning of our kids "childhood", Bridget was an integral part of their growing up so there was/is a large nostalgic component to the loss. We now have Bernice and Betty goldens both, Bernice is a rescue dog we aquired after we lost Bridget, Betty was despondant after the loss of Bridget, Bernice is now her other half, its funny though that it seems to me that Bridget was somehow an Enlightened animal, its just the way she was, Like your Copper, long may they run.

Sandy
10-15-2008, 11:49 AM
If people would treat other people with 1/2 the love and sensitivity as those who posted in this thread gave to their dogs (pets), humanity would be greatly improved. Lots of quality giving individuals here.

Sandy

RPS
10-15-2008, 11:53 AM
If people would treat other people with 1/2 the love and sensitivity as those who posted in this thread gave to their dogs (pets), humanity would be greatly improved. Lots of quality giving individuals here.

SandyProblem is our dogs are a lot nicer than some people. Sorry, but it's true; they are much easier to love and care for.

rphetteplace
01-17-2009, 01:33 PM
So our dearly departed golden retriever Copper would have been 11 yesterday. My fiancee and I were sad and really missing him first right away in the morning. It was a very cold -18 on my way to work and I when I got in to the office and got situated a coworker happened to stop by my office. He was like "wow look at that" and pointed out what more or less appeared to be a very light rainbow in the sky. My fiancee' happens to work pretty much right accross the street from my office. The rainbow from my perspective basically went over the top of her office.

My coworker told me that the rainbow caused by the extreme cold is called a snow dog.

To me it was Copper saying hello.

Thanks for reading.

Louis
01-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Copper's happy to not have to go outside in this kind of weather...

rphetteplace
01-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Copper's happy to not have to go outside in this kind of weather...

nahh he had super sweet red boots!

Louis
01-17-2009, 02:52 PM
nahh he had super sweet red boots!

I hope you take this the right way - I am kidding:

Only because he loved you guys so much and wanted to make you happy did he not tell you how much he hated those things. :)

This is amusing:

The Revenant - Billy Collins

I am the dog you put to sleep,
as you like to call the needle of oblivion,
come back to tell you this simple thing:
I never liked you--not one bit.

When I licked your face,
I thought of biting off your nose.
When I watched you toweling yourself dry,
I wanted to leap and unman you with a snap.

I resented the way you moved,
your lack of animal grace,
the way you would sit in a chair to eat,
a napkin on your lap, knife in your hand.

I would have run away,
but I was too weak, a trick you taught me
while I was learning to sit and heel,
and--greatest of insults--shake hands without a hand.

I admit the sight of the leash
would excite me
but only because it meant I was about
to smell things you had never touched.

You do not want to believe this,
but I have no reason to lie.
I hated the car, the rubber toys,
disliked your friends and, worse, your relatives.

The jingling of my tags drove me mad.
You always scratched me in the wrong place.
All I ever wanted from you
was food and fresh water in my metal bowls.

While you slept, I watched you breathe
as the moon rose in the sky.
It took all of my strength
not to raise my head and howl.

Now I am free of the collar,
the yellow raincoat, monogrammed sweater,
the absurdity of your lawn,
and that is all you need to know about this place

except what you already supposed
and are glad it did not happen sooner--

that everyone here can read and write,
the dogs in poetry, the cats and the others in prose.

rphetteplace
01-17-2009, 03:00 PM
actually the boots he loved. He always had horrible problems with ice balls between his pads. the sweater on the other hand.....

We once took both the dogs to see a pet psychic. (yeah I know sounds stupid, but it was fun). Our other dog one of the first thing he told the woman to tell us was that he didn't ever want to wear a sweater.

ti_boi
01-17-2009, 06:17 PM
So our dearly departed golden retriever Copper would have been 11 yesterday. My fiancee and I were sad and really missing him first right away in the morning. It was a very cold -18 on my way to work and I when I got in to the office and got situated a coworker happened to stop by my office. He was like "wow look at that" and pointed out what more or less appeared to be a very light rainbow in the sky. My fiancee' happens to work pretty much right accross the street from my office. The rainbow from my perspective basically went over the top of her office.

My coworker told me that the rainbow caused by the extreme cold is called a snow dog.

To me it was Copper saying hello.

Thanks for reading.

I lost both my guys this year....and still tear up when I think of them both.
14 year-old to Lymphoma and a 15 year-old to a broken heart. I miss them daily. We did rescue two dogs this year. They are both amazing. But nothing and I mean nothing will ever replace an old friend.