PDA

View Full Version : Do you lock your bike?

onekgguy
04-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I don't carry a lock with me when I'm out riding. Nearly all of my riding is done solo so when I have to run into a convenience store I park my bike outside and try to minimize my time inside.

Mr. President posted this video (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=5TNTq3nhuh0) which shows how little protection a lock actually provides.

I don't imagine I'll start to carry a lock with me but I'm curious what sort of lock people on the forum are using? Thanks.

Kevin g

csm
04-29-2008, 07:57 PM
I usually do the same as you when riding solo. if we have a group somebody stays out. been thinking about this very thing for this year's ragbrai though. I guess I'll lock it at night.

MarleyMon
04-29-2008, 08:45 PM
I use an OnGuard u-lock + cable at work & grocery.
Its a key lock - have you seen the videos of opening a barrel lock w/ a Bic pen?

The NYC video was odd - would you really expect a chain and masterlock to work?

Fixed
04-29-2008, 08:46 PM
bro i like this for a fast leave
but bro if your going to be gone a long time then you need to lock your seat your frame and wheels
http://www.masterlockbike.com/product-detail.shtml?id=11059&catname=Street%20Cuff%3Csup%3E%AE%3
bottom line if you leave it the same place everyday some dirty bast... will notice .
cheers

DarrenCT
04-29-2008, 08:46 PM
never

not a lot of criminals around heremo

Louis
04-29-2008, 09:04 PM
I usually ride in areas where it's safe to leave a bike unlocked. I don't even own one.

swoop
04-29-2008, 10:07 PM
never.

11k bike left leaning while i get post ride coffee everyday... in los angeles.

avalonracing
04-29-2008, 10:38 PM
I too will throw in my "Never".
Friends of mine will say I'm a little too worried about losing a bike but after going to junior high in suburban MD I know how quickly bikes can walk.

Ozz
04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
never....I am either riding my bike or it is in my office, garage, or car.

mister
04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
yeah i lock it. sometimes free. if to an object i find something small enough that my small u lock will ft around the rear wheel and chainstays or the rear wheel and the seat tube.

Ken C
04-30-2008, 11:35 AM
I use an OnGuard u-lock + cable at work & grocery.
Its a key lock - have you seen the videos of opening a barrel lock w/ a Bic pen?

The NYC video was odd - would you really expect a chain and masterlock to work?

I have one of the older Kryptonics U lock and after hearing that I tried it and it does really work.

I also do not carry a lock when I am on solo rides. When I go into a gas station for water or the coffee shop for the post ride espresso I am constantly worrying about. I try and park it against the window where I can see it, but if you think about it am I really going to catch some one running in my bike shoes while they are riding my bike off? I have been thinking of getting one of the retractible cable locks that I could stash in my jersey. Granted someone can easily cut it, but I really just want it to prevent someone from being able to grab and ride while I am away for the 1-2 minutes while inside. It looks like masterlock has one on the site that Fixed linked.

Fixed
04-30-2008, 11:37 AM
bro chain ,lock u lock cable lock ,you need a bike mes bag to carry it all in
bro if you cats who don't lock up see a little master lock at's the size of a small cell phone and weighs nothing ..good for the starbucks stop
cheers
http://www.masterlockbike.com/product-detail.shtml?id=11077&catname=Cables&desc=No.+4603D+Pit+Stop+Retractable+Cable&pid=10317

Blue Jays
04-30-2008, 11:41 AM
This little lightweight lock looks perfect (http://www.masterlockbike.com/product-detail.shtml?id=11077&catname=Cables&desc=No.+4603D+Pit+Stop+Retractable+Cable&pid=10317) for a quick mid-ride coffee stop. :)

Blue Jays
04-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Fixed, we were typing simultaneously and referencing the same link! :beer:

http://www.masterlock.com/images/istore/187050_4603d_large.jpg

Fixed
04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
bro I have been using one for a couple of years for short stops
cheers

cadence231
04-30-2008, 12:12 PM
bro chain ,lock u lock cable lock ,you need a bike mes bag to carry it all in
bro if you cats who don't lock up see a little master lock at's the size of a small cell phone and weighs nothing ..good for the starbucks stop
cheers
http://www.masterlockbike.com/product-detail.shtml?id=11077&catname=Cables&desc=No.+4603D+Pit+Stop+Retractable+Cable&pid=10317

The master speaks!

gasman
04-30-2008, 12:43 PM
I also do not carry a lock when I am on solo rides. When I go into a gas station for water or the coffee shop for the post ride espresso I am constantly worrying about. I try and park it against the window where I can see it, but if you think about it am I really going to catch some one running in my bike shoes while they are riding my bike off? I have been thinking of getting one of the retractible cable locks that I could stash in my jersey. Granted someone can easily cut it, but I really just want it to prevent someone from being able to grab and ride while I am away for the 1-2 minutes while inside. It looks like masterlock has one on the site that Fixed linked.

When I stop for coffee after a ride I click my helmet to the front wheel and open the quick release on the rear wheel. I'll have a little more time to waddle after a potential thief.
I lock my commuter bike(s) up in cages that have combo locks. I leave the locks locked to the rack in the cages so I don't have to carry a lock.
Locky me.

thwart
04-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Just ordered one... shipping is free, BTW.

Just what you need when making that convenience store stop. No need to sweat (well, as much, anyway) while you wait in line with your simple carbohydrates... or hit the john.

Larry D
04-30-2008, 01:47 PM
I do not lock mine. It goes inside with me. I have taken it inside for Doctor Dentst appointments adn into the bank. If I can not bring it in, I ride on.

Ken Robb
04-30-2008, 01:59 PM
The Riv site shows a grabber deterrent: Loosen the front wheel and loop your helmet strap around the wheel and the down tube. I suppose undoing the rear quick release too would be even better. This might be enough for a quick trip to a john or coffee shop.

Blue Jays
04-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Just don't forget yourself when jumping back on the bike if wheels/brakes are loosened... :eek: ;)

Peter P.
04-30-2008, 06:52 PM
I think the statistic is, 85% of stolen bikes are UNLOCKED.

I've had two bikes stolen; one as a youth of about 12, and one as an adult. Both times the bike was unlocked.

On the adult occurrence, I thought I knew what I was doing; I assessed where I was, the time of day, weather, everything, and considered it a reasonable risk for the 10 minutes I was gone. I was wrong. It was an expensive bike, but fortunately I had renter's insurance which covered it with no depreciation and a low deductible. Nevertheless, I felt irresponsible having to tell the insurance company it wasn't locked when they asked.

After that, I ALWAYS lock my bike to a fixed object if I'm going to leave it unattended for even a minute, or I don't leave it at all.

You need to assess the threat level and determine what kind of measures you feel are necessary. For instance, you probably would never lock your bike in Mayberry RFD, but would use a Kryptonite in NYC, whereas a simple cable lock might do in smaller towns or on a rural college campus. The idea is to assess the threat and take appropriate action to counter it, recognizing there are still no guarantees but you've made a reasonable attempt. I think as a minimum, you should carry even a simple, convenient cable lock and secure your bike to a fixed object so if it gets stolen, you can in theory feel satisfied that at least you made an attempt to keep your bike safe.

For what it's worth, that Master Lock with the three digit combination shown above-I learned how to pick those as a youth. After learning, I didn't feel comfortable using one. At least get a regular combination lock and a 6' coiled cable.

Fixed
04-30-2008, 07:58 PM
bro whenever you leave it you may never see it again

imho cheers

Dekonick
04-30-2008, 08:42 PM
King and a leash would suffice...

Kane
05-01-2008, 02:21 AM
Master Lock makes a model called street cuffs. It has a really good holder that mounts on a water bottle slot. It doesn't rattle and the lock is really easy to use.
Cheers,

kane

fiamme red
05-01-2008, 07:02 AM
I lock my bike almost every day here in NYC, and on days that I work I leave it unattended for over eight hours at a time. Two locks always, a heavy-duty U-lock and a cable or chain.

Blue Jays
05-03-2008, 08:46 PM
They just lowered the price on that retractable lock from $15.99 down to $11.59 and still with free shipping. Even better with a discount.

vaxn8r
05-03-2008, 09:34 PM
I lock my bike almost every day here in NYC, and on days that I work I leave it unattended for over eight hours at a time. Two locks always, a heavy-duty U-lock and a cable or chain.
That's what I use on my commuter. Plus I don't have much into it if it goes bye bye.

I would never leave my road bike for even a millisecond. I don't carry a lock on road rides. If we stop for a post ride coffee, somebody sits and wathces the bikes while the others order. Eugene is a great place for riding but also one of the top markets for bike theft (per capita).

tuco
05-03-2008, 11:32 PM
This gem allows you to make pit stops -and- have a post-ride brew if so inclined. Bicycle cleats sort of make reacting to the alarm problematic, so make sure your friends know that it is *not* funny to trip the alarm while you are in the back of a Mini-Mart with a newly waxed floor.
http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA400U

avalonracing
05-04-2008, 12:46 AM
They just lowered the price on that retractable lock from $15.99 down to $11.59 and still with free shipping. Even better with a discount.

I noticed the price drop when I bought mine after reading this thread. I mentioned early in the thread that I never lock my bike up (because I never leave it alone) but I think I'm going to build up an old Coppi frame that I got on the classified forum as my coffee shop cruiser.

Skrawny
05-04-2008, 09:54 AM
When I stop for coffee after a ride I click my helmet to the front wheel and open the quick release on the rear wheel. I'll have a little more time to waddle after a potential thief.

I do the same.
I also shift to the highest gear while it isn't moving so that if anyone tries to ride it off they'll have a more difficult time of it, and I have a few more seconds to lurch after them.

Trigger is never out of my (or a trusted friend's) sight, though.

-s

hayduke
05-04-2008, 11:57 PM
i use a hardened chain requiring those 3foot bolt cutters and a guy who can bench press 400pounds to get thru it. by then my 100# dog has him by the leg, and after i finish my latte i can put a .45 hole between his eyes.
seriously, if good people could carry guns in nyc, i dont think you would even try to steal your own bicycle, would you?

amgc36
04-02-2011, 07:27 PM
I use a 10mm square chain with Abus shackle-protected lock from bikeregistry. It weighs a ton and sometimes I wonder if the chain itself makes the bike a target.

I live near LA and may start following some of you with the 11k bikes who never lock them at *$. ! :)

Anyone have an update on a good, small carry lock? Master Lock seems to have one that looks like a pair of handcuffs...

tuscanyswe
04-02-2011, 07:49 PM
I usually dont lock my bike.

I did however have a bike stolen that was less than 10 feet away from me while having coffee outside. My friend sharing the beans actually commented on a guy riding past us in the street no more than 20 yards away from the table had the same bike as me. 10 min later when we left the table i realized what had happend when there was no bike leaning against the wall where i left it :/

What nerve to steal a bike in daylight outside of a coffeshop with probably 20 ppl around whos bike it could have been..

My first more expensive bike too, a cdale bad boy ultra.

on these type of thefts a lock do provide some protection but i doubt any lock is gonna stop a career theif from stealing your bike when left unseen.

amgc36
04-02-2011, 07:53 PM
I did lose a bike in college out of my building, locked to itself in a side room while I moved from one room to another. Should have locked it to furniture. That was a sweet bike Schwinn King of the Mountain, first edition.