View Full Version : bike thieves

Dave B
04-29-2008, 06:36 PM
This is nutz.

Gotta love the Big Apple!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5TNTq3nhuh0

onekgguy
04-29-2008, 07:48 PM
I never lock my bike...I don't own a lock. I know that sounds stupid but after watching that video it appears a lock would be a waste of money.

Thanks for that...we should start a poll to see how many people actually use a lock.

Kevin g

Dave B
04-29-2008, 08:20 PM
why bother?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t8XxcOj3Seo

nobrakes
04-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Depends on the bike I'm on, at the time. My road bike (a Look) I never lock, because I never get off it for most of my rides. My single speeds, on the other hand, I use for light shopping, coffee shop, and commuting about town, I use a u lock when I park anywhere. **News flash!** while writing this post, I just heard on our local TV news that Portland was voted the best cycling city by LAB. That distinction, however, won't stop the bike thieves (the most vile form of life!). Locks only keep honest folks honest!

DarrenCT
04-29-2008, 08:25 PM
woah apparently nyc needs more cops?

Louis
04-29-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm sure Kitty Genovese, were she able to communicate with us, would tell us all about New Yorkers' community spirit, and their willingness to help others.

mikki
04-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Sad commentary on everyone so into their own world that they don't give a darn about anyone else.

I wonder how different the response would be if any, in other cities?

Sandy
04-30-2008, 01:56 AM
Sad commentary on everyone so into their own world that they don't give a darn about anyone else.

Sure would be a difference in North East Washington D.C. where my business was. If someone saw that you trying to steal a bike, they might wait until you finished, then rob you of the bike and your wallet at gun point and shoot you if you didn't give up the jacket you were wearing if they liked it. :rolleyes:

There have been a remarkably large number of shootings and killings very recently in N.E. DC. Very alarming and tragic.

Sandy

Erik.Lazdins
04-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Good film - sad situation - nobody questoned him. The anglegrinder was funny though!

FWIW - I carry my bike into the store or pharmacy when I go. Never had any grief. Only comments are when its cold out - "do you ride in this weather?" :beer:

Dave B
04-30-2008, 07:52 AM

Totally not trying to stir things up here. Never a good idea! :crap:

Saw it over on the Moots blog and it just gave me that chuckle of typical stereotype of NY.

I am sure many places, cities and towns both big and small have this issue.

IN remember in college the campus chase me (safety) would carry around the liquid nitrogen spray to get through the u-locks for bikes that were not properly "locked/parked"

Who knew they simply needed a bic.

I think Kyrptonite (sp) has changed their locking mech, but I still have one of the old ones and it does work. You have to have a larger bic pen, but it does work.

harlond
04-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Not sure it changes anything, but it's worth noting that he never acted at all furtively or hastily. Gives a slightly different impression than if he was glancing around, obviously hurrying, concealing his tools.

Sandy
04-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Not sure it changes anything, but it's worth noting that he never acted at all furtively or hastily. Gives a slightly different impression than if he was glancing around, obviously hurrying, concealing his tools.

A "professional" bike thief would probably not act "furtively or hastily" but as shown. Your observation is an excellent one, applicable to many but not the "professional". In the market area where my business was in Washington DC, some thieves really didn't even think or care too much about getting caught. They were driven by the need for drug money, they had been caught and jailed on a repetitive basis, and if they went to prison, so what, since in prison they would get quality food, warmth, and a dry place to sleep. In jail one day and out the next. A never ending cycle for them. Just part of the sad way in which they lived. Getting caught sometimes was just part of the package to them. No big deal. All sad but true.

Sandy

TimB
04-30-2008, 08:30 AM
I was parking my car at the Addison Rd Metro station one evening just outside the DC line = Not A Nice Place. As I was parking and putting "The Club" on my steering wheel, the guy in the car next to me said something like, "That's not going to stop anyone if they want to take your car."

True enough.

But my thought at the time, and with locking my bike too, is that it makes it less convenient. I mean, unless the thieves are targeting something specific - or just want to nab a bike or car - an unlocked or unprotected car or bike is a much more appealing target.

I will continue to use my lock when leaving my bike unattended for long periods. On 'rides' I'll lean it against the store and duck in...never have heard of someone losing a bike on a club or team ride in this manner.

WickedWheels
04-30-2008, 08:46 AM
He doesn't look like a bike thief

He looks like a dorky bike guy or maybe a computer nerd. Perhaps both. If I saw a guy like that I'd assume he wasn't stealing a bike either.

I saw a guy trying to steal a bike in the Bronx. He did not like a computer dork. He looked like a border-runner who didn't speak a word of english. He went after a bike that belonged to someone working at a Chinese food delivery place. The bike was locked up to a parking meter right in front of it. He walked up to it casually, glanced around suspiciously and tried to lift it up over the meter. When he realized that he couldn't he started to walk away. I came up to him and asked him how everything was going. He gave me a blank look and kept walking.

WickedWheels
04-30-2008, 08:51 AM
This is how thieves in the Bronx work.

Yes, this is my (old) car. The windows are tinted because 6 months earlier someone smashed the driver's side and stole stuff out of my car.

Dave B
04-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Man that must be a pain to remove your wheels when you go in. :crap:

dude sorry to see that happen to anybody!

When i lived in chicago I had the window smash and grab a few times.

WickedWheels
04-30-2008, 11:04 AM
It was actually quite funny.
The stock wheels were scratched and scraped with totally bald tires. In fact, I was shopping tires less than a week earlier.

My insurance company was good enough to pay for the replacement cost of the stock wheels, which are not cheap because it's a Honda stock part. So I went out and bought some aftermarket replacements with the insurance check (and still had a little left over).

Now if someone will do that to my new car... ;)