PDA

View Full Version : why not offer stuff for sale here first?

Ken Robb
09-21-2004, 11:39 AM
I've bought quite a bit of "stuff" on-line and sold a little bit. I have had such good experience dealing with my friends from this site, iBOB, Rivendell, and other similar lists where we feel like we know each other even though we may have never been face-to-face. Both sides are more comfortable than when dealing with strangers and there are no extra fees for eBay, Pay-Pal etc. I really appreciate it when a seller announces his offerings here before they go to eBay and I have sold some items to folks who asked for help finding them on one of our forums. You know, the kind of things that I wasn't using but really didn't want to fool with on eBay like saddles, brakes, shifters, freewheels, etc.

Serotta PETE
09-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Ken, I could not agree with you more. It seems that many offer their items first here for the same reasons that you mentioned. I know that is why I will offer mine here first.

Pete :beer:

coylifut
09-21-2004, 01:23 PM
I've bought a few things here. I much prefer it over ebay and the craig list

SoCalSteve
09-21-2004, 01:58 PM
I really like the idea of turning the classified section of this forum into a more viable and popular place.

I will start offering all my bike related sales items here first as well.

Good luck to us all!

Steve

bcm119
09-21-2004, 02:06 PM
The next step would be to organize the classifieds a little better here, at least into components, frames, and complete bikes. Maybe a WTB section too, since many of us find ourselves with lots of little things that aren't really worth advertising, but may help someone out. One man's trash... is usually my treasure.

scottcw
09-21-2004, 02:27 PM
My latest experience with eBay has soured me forever. I honestly expect to never buy or sell on there again.

Ken Robb
09-21-2004, 02:37 PM
well the waterford RS11 that I just bought was from eBay and I was disappointed by its condition when it arrived. I naively expected from the pictures and description a nearly perfect bike, pretty much as I would sell one. This one had been a senior rider's first nice bike. He rode it hard and put it away wet when he "upgraded" to a "faster" bike. The bike was shipped from his LBS who did a good job packing it. But---------it came with a 27.2 seatpost that won't even go into this 27.0mm frame, the tires, chain, cables,cassette were shot, the size was misstated, etc.
The good news is that I think we have worked out a partial refund to me and the sellers are pleased that I've been so nice about my complaining.
The good news is that after replacing the bad parts the bike rides very well and is an interesting complement to our CSi and Rivendells having geometry in the middle of our pack.
If the sellers were not amenable to an adjustment I could have been in a real upside down situation on this bike.
Some other bikes and bits that I have bought from list members were every bit as nice as I had hoped as I guess we are all kinda maintenance nuts.

Climb01742
09-21-2004, 04:23 PM
i agree. i totally trust the folks here. ebay...not so much. but it is kinda odd when someone new on the forum posts a classified, and you look over and its their first post. not a lot of trust in those folks.

Jeff N.
09-21-2004, 07:46 PM
E-Bay is a crap-shoot. Luckily, I have had very few problems with the deals I have found. My latest find was a pair of used Dura Ace 7800 wheels for $429.00, including shipping. They arrived and are immaculate! Man, was I stoked. But again, I consider myself lucky because I've heard horror stories. Jeff N.

Dekonick
09-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Yeah - Ebay is a crap shoot. I have purchased from fellow forumites and had great luck! I have also had bad experiences on Ebay... and good ones as well.

I always check the listings here first.

:)

Bikerfred
09-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi all. I am new to writing on the site but have been a silent member for almost a year. This is a terrific site to purchase products on. I have bought two bikes on the site. A Hors Categorie (which is truly the best bike on the planet) and a Legend Ti. Both transactions were very easy and the sellers were a pleasure to deal with. I think organizing the classified by product type is an excellent idea and would encourage members to post goods. I certainly have enough spare parts in my garage to run a small tag sale.

William
09-22-2004, 06:43 AM
I like the idea (though I'm a pack rat when it comes to cycling stuff :rolleyes: ).

The next step would be to organize the classifieds a little better here, at least into components, frames, and complete bikes. Maybe a WTB section too

This is a good point. It would make it a lot easier to locate what you're interested in.

William

Climb01742
09-22-2004, 08:39 AM
my only caveat is this: selling stuff is a corner of our little home here. a nice corner, but a corner. i wouldn't want it to grow too big, to over-commercialize the forum. we're a tight community here. i value the human part of the forum. keeping the exchange of ideas and opinions as the paramount purpose, vs. an exchange of goods. i know that no body is suggesting a dramatic shift. but given the power of unintended consequences, i just think we should be careful. after all, as patient as ben is, as open-minded as he is, the real underlying purpose of this forum is to a) give us a place to play, and b) forster, subtly, the sale of serottas. selling too much other stuff could weaken the brand-building aspects of this site for serotta. something i'm sure none of us want to do, however unintentionally.