PDA

View Full Version : Monday Ride Report: Rain, Climbing Day, LeMond rules.

M.Sommers
04-28-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm off to Memphis, Tennesse tomorrow. Going to ride and relax for a few days, then head over to Chattanooga for the 3S/3M on Saturday. Watching the ToG's Baldtown Brass on their stage 6 reminded me of what awaits.

I left today and it was 51* and raining. Then it started pouring. Of course, what better way to spend fifteen mintues then wrestling with wet hands to change a flat tire. I estimate 35 miles, focused on hills as the flats were a place I think I'd skid and get killed. I think Jamie Swan drove past me in his Subaru, maybe I was dazed and hoping somebody would pull along side and hand me some hot chocolate.

The photo of my left hip/thigh is mainly for SteveP, Girlie, Swoop/Cowgirl, but enjoy. I had a bad wipeout last Fall and the hip started feeling better in January. I envisioned screws being surgically inserted into the hip when I tried to stand up after landing on it. I never went to the hospital, I should have. I sat in bed for a week, miserable, with a concussion. The hip is better now and I am too. I had to train today, time is ticking and three big hills will not go away on Saturday.

I want to endorse the Oakley sunglasses, I feel faster since I bought them; Greg LeMond is the man and we all know it to be true.

Cheers.

:beer:

stevep
04-28-2008, 07:02 PM
ouch..
all better...

now go get 'em

Big Daddy
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
you still look fat...

JP will eat your lunch. He raced with Jensen this past weekend.

M.Sommers
04-28-2008, 07:08 PM
ouch..
all better...

now go get 'em

I grabbed my hip that day expecting a pool of blood. It was dry. It was all stuck inside. Not a scratch, no cuts, just a hip that was drilled into the ground. I had to crawl from the middle of the road like a wounded dog. Bro, we'll have a serious ride report for ya'll soon. I need to use "ya'll" more often in TN. :D

M.Sommers
04-28-2008, 07:10 PM
you still look fat...

JP will eat your lunch. He raced with Jensen this past weekend.

JP is Boba Fett. I'm sitting in the corner of the Cantina, wearing retro Oakleys, drinking with my 7' fuzzy friend. If there's an apocalypse, come to NY and find my left thigh. It will feed you and your family. Spring started in NY about 126 hours ago, see you in July atmo.

Big Daddy
04-28-2008, 07:58 PM
JP is Boba Fett. I'm sitting in the corner of the Cantina, wearing retro Oakleys, drinking with my 7' fuzzy friend. If there's an apocalypse, come to NY and find my left thigh. It will feed you and your family. Spring started in NY about 126 hours ago, see you in July atmo.

Love it! :beer:

saab2000
04-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Nice handlebar tape. I know someone else who has tape like that.

PS - your chain is too short. Like the bike even so. But get another link or two.

M.Sommers
04-28-2008, 08:33 PM

PS - your chain is too short. Like the bike even so. But get another link or two.

Thank you for keen eyes. I blame my wrench from TN for that! I noticed the chainmo but...this is waiting for me in TN for the big ride:

Fixed
04-28-2008, 09:06 PM
bro you lucky cat
cheers

glad the hip is good :beer:

handsomerob
04-28-2008, 11:11 PM

Big/Big with a 29T does stretch it a bit... :bike:

I have a couple links I could add to make it better, but when she gets back to me and the Memphis flatlands, a 12/25 will be plenty and won't tension it that much. :beer:

BTW... given her riding conditions as of late, I think the powdercoat was a very good idea. :banana:

swoop
04-28-2008, 11:34 PM
that's not a bruise, this is a bruise. what do i win? is that a 53/28 in one and a 39/12 in the other? ;)

M.Sommers
04-28-2008, 11:45 PM
that's not a bruise, this is a bruise. what do i win? is that a 53/28 in one and a 39/12 in the other? ;)

50/34 and 13/29.

And that's not a bruise, this is a bruise (hence the compact).

Also, swoop, DON'T try this at home: :) LeMaire Procedure FTL:

http://www.genou.com/anglais/acl/lemaireprocedure.htm

swoop
04-28-2008, 11:48 PM
oh jeesus. are you the guy from the bear attack movie? they took half your damn leg... ouch.
you had me at dissection.

(kidding aside... crickey man.. that's horrible).

new rule! no rear cassette should be bigger than a personal pizza.

M.Sommers
04-28-2008, 11:49 PM
oh jeesus. are you the guy from the bear attack movie?

You should see the bear.

shinomaster
04-28-2008, 11:57 PM
I have a cute little strawberry on my bum from my crash today.

M.Sommers
04-29-2008, 12:16 AM
oh jeesus. are you the guy from the bear attack movie? they took half your damn leg... ouch.
you had me at dissection.

(kidding aside... crickey man.. that's horrible).

new rule! no rear cassette should be bigger than a personal pizza.

^ that was only the outer scar. The one down the middle, not in pic, was your generic ACL recontructionmo:

http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp05018.htm

Add in two arthroscopes for torn cartilage over the years on said knee and I'm lucky it was amputated (actually it was a close call the leg wasn't from the initial injury).

My Shimano-confused Pinarello will sport a 50/34-12/27 so the pizza will be a little smaller. I'll never use a triple. I'll buy a palanquin before I do that. When the other knee was carved into too, I stopped using cassettes in the rear bro, I now use 8 Tracks. I pray to Sean Kelly for strength and guidance and if all else fails, I will inject EPO directly into my knees.

stevep
04-29-2008, 05:53 AM
hematoma city here.
ouch.

i cant match those... happily.