PDA

View Full Version : So who knows about refrigerators?

saab2000
04-28-2008, 04:13 PM
My fridge may be dying. There are little puddles of water inside the refrigerator. Yesterday it was making some noise and I looked inside and the water was draining from somewhere on the roof of the refrigerator section (the freezer is on top). There is a little box or cover over something and that is where the water was coming from.

Has anyone had this? Is it fixable? Should I just replace it? What's a good replacement?

false_Aest
04-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Replace with high efficiency type.

When you get your new one go here: http://www.recyclemyoldfridge.com/

Lifelover
04-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Does it have a auto ice maker?

If so, I'd check that line first!

e-RICHIE
04-28-2008, 04:59 PM
So who knows about refrigerators?

some folks here seem to visit theirs alot atmo.

saab2000
04-28-2008, 05:02 PM

:rolleyes: I might be one of those folks....

BTW, no it does not have an ice maker.

e-RICHIE
04-28-2008, 05:05 PM
:rolleyes: I might be one of those folks....

BTW, no it does not have an ice maker.
i dated some icemakers back in the day atmo.
you're the lucky one.

rwsaunders
04-28-2008, 05:07 PM
My fridge may be dying. There are little puddles of water inside the refrigerator. Yesterday it was making some noise and I looked inside and the water was draining from somewhere on the roof of the refrigerator section (the freezer is on top). There is a little box or cover over something and that is where the water was coming from.

SAAB....you're a pilot and you're not making me feel good right now. :cool:

manet
04-28-2008, 05:13 PM

true story:

hometown pal found a box of pot washed up on manomet beach.
took it home. his hippy dippy minister dad repackaged it all into ziplocs... meals, and placed them into the deep freeze. all labeled "seafood surprise"

manet
04-28-2008, 05:14 PM
My fridge may be dying.

and the piano has been drinking

saab2000
04-28-2008, 05:39 PM
SAAB....you're a pilot and you're not making me feel good right now. :cool:

I can tell you all about turbines and hydraulics and aerodynamics, but none of those things are in my refrigerator.

barry1021
04-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Could be as simple as the condensate line is stopped up, causing the water to overflow--cooling and refrigeration removes moisture from the air, so there should be a small hoselike line that runs usually to the bottom of the fridge. Sometimes it gets gunked up and needs to be cleaned. If it's water dripping its probably that, or your freezer is defrosting......

2LeftCleats
04-28-2008, 05:48 PM
If it's still functioning (freezer is freezing and refrigerator is keeping food cool) I wonder if there is a clogged drain tube somewhere which may be a relatively simple repair; better than wasting money that really ought to be going for bicycles

catulle
04-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Jerk does. He uses them to dump people to the bottom of Boston harbor.

stevep
04-28-2008, 07:09 PM
this next quote was taken from saab just before he took off in his plane..
"hey, this thing doesn't have any propellers...how does it stay up? let me off please..."

seriously saab. go get a new refrigerator.

next question from saab...
" there is a huge puddle of oil underneath the motor of my car that has 250k miles on it... is this a bad sign? or could it be an adjustment? "

saab2000
04-28-2008, 07:11 PM
this next quote was taken from saab just before he took off in his plane..
"hey, this thing doesn't have any propellers...how does it stay up? let me off please..."

seriously saab. go get a new refrigerator.

next question from saab...
" there is a huge puddle of oil underneath the motor of my car that has 250k miles on it... is this a bad sign? or could it be an adjustment? "

Blushing......

I don't need to know how to make an airplane. Only fly them. Making them is left for people far, far smarter than myself. They live in Seattle and Toulouse primarily and went to places like MIT..... :beer:

JanG
04-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Saab,

I had what sounds like the same problem with my refrigerator. As suggested earlier, it was the condensate drain. Some debris had slowed down the drainage and the tube had frozen up. The solution is to take everything out of the freezer and remove parts until you expose the pan that catches condensate ( on the bottom at the back, in my freezer.) Careful use of a hair dryer (I decided against my electric paint remover) thawed most the ice in the pan. The hard part was getting the tube clear. I ended up using a syringe with a piece electrical heat-shrink tubing to force boiling water down to the blockage and then to pull it back out. Patience would probably also work. Good luck.

Jan

Peter P.
04-28-2008, 08:39 PM
The problem depends on whether you have a MANUAL or AUTOMATIC defrost freezer section.

A manual defrost freezer builds up frost inside and has to be defrosted by you a couple times a year. It's sorta obvious if you have this type because you'll remember you have to defrost it.

Automatic defrosting freezer sections don't have a frost build up problem.

Tell us which type you have. We'll see what we can dig up then.

soulspinner
04-29-2008, 05:12 AM
and the piano has been drinking

And playing notes that sound like laughter...