PDA

View Full Version : Serotta CRL, CIII, CSI differences?

Bill K
09-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Would someone explain the ride differences between the CRL, CIII, & CSI
I am looking at a CRL frameset (ebay) and am wondering if it is as comfortable as a CIII or CSI for all day riding.
I would hate to buy it, build it up, & then find is is a Criterium frame with a brutal ride

Thanks in advance

Smiley
09-20-2004, 05:40 PM
Bill K , I think the geometries will be fairly close , the CRL being the last model before the CSI , I think you'll find the CRL ( LIGHT ) the top tube was triple butted like the CSI to have a longer TT and higher BB relative to todays models Plus the supplier of the tubing was more than likely Columbus versus the Reynolds and now today's Nobium tubset made by Columbus. I think if the price is right and it fits and it has no rust you should be in hog heaven with this purchase as compared to a costlier newer model. Just becareful for rust as steel bikes just don't hold their resale value as well as Ti , aluminum or even carbon due to something you can't see. My bet if its a Serotta then its been loved and cared for. The longer wheelbase and head angles for Serotta make for a very good stable all day ride .

Dekonick
09-20-2004, 09:19 PM
I have a CR and a Hors Cat. I find both to be extremely comfortable.
The CR is a dream ride - that oooohh so special steel ride....
The Hors Cat just is the best on descents. 45mph today and it was like riding on a track....(only a short stretch at 45mph to be sure...but waaay stable)

The CR should be similar to the CRL - I think. Ask Smiley.

gt6267a
09-21-2004, 07:44 AM
I have a CRL with a steel fork. Great bike. Very comfortable. I bought it used with campy record 8 speed and could not be happier. as long as the fit and condition of the bike are right, i can't imagine you being disapointed. did i mention that i love my bike?

-k

Smiley
09-21-2004, 09:31 AM
differences in the CRL and the CR are the triple butting on the top tube only , both bikes should ride and feel the same . Hey Dekonick did you make the changes we spoke of and so whats up ?

Serotta PETE
09-21-2004, 09:54 AM
is CRL is your size, it is a very confortable frame. I have a CR from that period and really enjoy the ride. Fit is the #1 priority.

Pete

Chuck M
09-21-2004, 07:39 PM
The answer to your question is yes. Assuming it fits you and is in good condition, it will be as comfortable as a CSI.

I've owned a Colorado II, CR, TG and CSI. All have a very similar ride since all have similar design objectives and similar tubesets. The CRL and CR were related -- the CRL used a lighter tubeset with more extensive butting, the CR was basically a less expensive version of the CRL. The newest CSI is somewhat lighter, has better dropouts and other incremental improvements. But it is hard to improve on just about the best bike made.

The only "criterium" bike made by Serotta since 1991 was the Davis Phinney model in the early nineties. But even that bike was not uncomfortable as it was not like anyone else's crit bike.

Dekonick
09-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Smiley - yes! I have started making the changes. I removed the 120 stem, and placed the ITM 10cm 10deg rise stem in its place (even better cuz its a serotta stem!) I havent raised my seat the full 5mm yet, still at 3 because I am having a little knee pain (outside of my right knee - it may not be related to the changes but I didnt want to press my luck. I really believe the knee issue is from work... not riding) I have the poco bars, but I am gonna wait until this tape job needs to be re-done then change the bars. I did put 44cm bars on the CR, and am looking for another Brooks to put on that ride. I also changed out to campy 9 on the CR, and campy 10 on the HC. I should get my CR back from my friends shop this week - cant wait to ride it and see how much different it feels!

Ride notes: The HC now rides more upright than it did before and I do use the drops more. The seat we didnt change much, just raised the post 3mm - still adjusting to it. My last long ride (long for me) 55 or so miles of mostly flat at a slow group cruise was great. No neck strain at all compared to my usual tight neck after 2+ hours...so its all good so far.

Ill call you sometime soon - perhaps we can go for a ride with Sandy...

again the changes are good! cleat position is dead on! :D

Bill K
09-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Yes it is my size - 56cm ST, 56cm TT. I won the auction for $316 (+$25 packing + $?? shipping) and look forward to getting it. It has a small dent in the TT from the handlebars hitting it but otherwise looks to be in good condition. Now if the seller will ever tell me the shipping costs I can pay him & get my new ride shipped :-)
It will replace my Albert Eisentraut "Rainbow Traut" which is a bit small (55cm). The Traut has beautiful workmanship but is more of a Crit geometry ...high BB, very responsive, & stiff. I am looking for a more relaxed ride (my race days are long over). I really have to stay focused riding the Traut.
Most of my riding these days is the 26 mile r/t commute to work

Dekonick
09-21-2004, 09:23 PM
first things first - get some framesaver and prep the frame. Especially the TT cable guide

You are gonna love that bike. I also bid on it but I am glad you won... Welcome to the Serotta club. It wont be your last one either...believe me.

spiderman
09-21-2004, 11:59 PM
i picked up a crl last year on ebay
('93 model black/faded to purple)
i paid just over 600...so strong work/great price!
i have really enjoyed the smoothness of the ride.
it's now been retrofitted for my wife.
...she likes it so well
she won't even let me borrow it if my ottrott
is getting a tune up.
she's really become quite possessive about it...
...and has good reason.
it's a great ride,
you're gonna love it!

Bill K
10-08-2004, 12:13 AM
The Serotta CRL I bought on ebay finally arrived today!
Seemed like it took forever to get here.
It's really pretty amazing.
I didn't realize the tubes were shaped as radically as they are!
The down & seat tubes are really impressive!

This one has various rubs, chips, & scratches....the right chain stay being the worst.
Looks like some minor rust bubbling under the paint where the brake cable enters the frame.
I probed it with a dental pick & it's solid underneath. It's only the front one & a very small area.
There are also a couple of small dents in the top tube from the handlebar hitting...one on each side.
I wonder if I can get touch up paint from Serotta?
That purple color is going to be hard to match.

I can't wait to build it up & ride it!
First have to "frame Saver" the inside of the tubes.
I'll be danged if I can find the vent holes for the fork blades & seat stays. Does Serotta plug them before he paints the frame?
Also going to have to remove that rust on the rear brake cable area & paint that spot. Fortunately its black & easy to get a close match.

Do you guys have any other tips before I assemble it?
Thanks for all your advise, information, & help.
Bill
:banana:

Jeff Weir
10-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Speaking of older Serottas, I've got a Colorado II which has the internal brake cable guide. Should I be put framesaver in the guide or use a chain lube? I was under the impression that framesaver might make it a bit sluggish for the brake cable..maybe add resistance. Does anyone have an opionion on this?

Regarding the Colorado II, I love the details on the frame AND it rides like a dream. I'm always amazed how cheap these go for on ebay!

Bill K
10-08-2004, 04:49 PM
I just got back from talking to our local frame builder.
He said the cable tube inside the top tube is usually brass so it shouldn't rust. The ends that the brake cable casing fit into are steel and brazed into the top tube (so the ends will rust).
He pulled out the parts to make one & showed me how it was set up.
He's really a great guy taking the time to talk & show me all the cool stuff he uses to build & paint frames.

PanTerra
10-10-2004, 10:36 AM
So, Bill...did you bring it out to the Sunday TEBR? Or, did you skip because of the wet roads?

Larry
10-10-2004, 11:00 AM
I hope you are doing well..... and please tell the string players in Mesquite Symphony that I miss them, especially Marty and Johnny (violinists).

I upgraded my CSi....... I switched out to threadless (from threaded F1).
I am now running an Ouzo Pro with a Chris King headset, plus the
Serotta Heads-Up titanium head tube extension, plus spacers.
It looks very cool, and so far the ride seems as solid as the F1.

Good luck in this rather bleak weather.

Larry

wmstitel
06-23-2005, 02:59 PM
By coincidence, I am selling a CRL (I noticed this thread right after posting on the classifieds section). So, anyone whose interest has been piqued by this thread, please get in touch (59 cm, $600, and no rust bubbles either).